Humbled Notre Dame fan here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsideirish54

Jan 8, 2013
It's taken me a few days to post this as the epic beatdown is finally settled in.

First, if forced to choose, there are very few teams I'd rather lose to than Bama. I have always respected the tradition and excellence of Alabama football. Coming into the game, I was hoping/praying it would be kept a close game but in the back of my mind, I knew it would be really tough to keep it somewhat close.

Second, WOW. That was truly a "men vs. boys" type game. A little background:

Back in the Charlie Weis years, our team was outsized by just about every team we played sans the service academies. It had a huge part to do with our lack of a training table and a good strength and conditioning program (obviously). When Kelly took over, one of his demands was a training table for the team. This was a big controversy at ND because it has always been that the football players are the same as other students and should eat in the dining halls with the rest of the student body. The school gave into the demand and it has paid off.

We were bigger and stronger than just about every team we played in the regular season. It has been a long, long time since that has been the case....until Monday night. What in God's name do you feed those young men down there?! Lacy looks like a linebacker but has the agility of our small RBs. Your defensive backs look like linebackers but just so happen to be ridiculously fast. Whoever your strength & conditioning coach his, give him a raise.

When we were physically manhandled by Stanford a couple years ago, Brian Kelly told our Athletic Director that in a very short time, we will be able to go punch for punch with them. And sure enough, this season, we lined up and played a hell of a physical football game against the Cardinal. After the Bama game, I think we see the next level of physical football we need to reach.

Finally, I just love the way you guys play football. I am so tired of Florida, UGA, and other SEC fans pounding their chest after your win. You guys are a completely different animal than them. Watching the Florida-Louisville game and seeing their players showboating after a big hit even if the ballcarrier had gained a good chunk of yardage was pathetic. They played dirty with late hits, endless jawing back and forth and nonstop showboating. I saw much of the same from UGA.

Bama players would make a perfect tackle, get up and get back into the huddle. No showboating, no taunting the downed player. Good, fundamental football. Saban has the young men well-trained.

One thing we can all agree on is that it is going to be a long 7 months. Hopefully our guys are going to be living in the weight room in the offseason...maybe we will meet again some time soon.

Go Irish.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Good post and appreciate the nice words about our beloved Tide. We have a great S&C Program and Coach Cochran isn't going anywhere! His favorite expression -- if it doesn't hurt, you're not doing it right!!!

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Thank you for the classy post Nside. It was refreshing to see a championship game without all the chest thumping and intimidation attempts (at least outside the tunnel). The game was played with class from both sides. I'm old school from when hotdog wasn't cool and you help the other man up before you knock him down again.

The SACC you mentioned is Scott Cochran and he's a bit of a character at UA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-ace-in-the-hole-strength-coach-scott-cochran

He's priceless and I hope he's stays until retirement.

Good luck next year.

nsideirish54

Jan 8, 2013
I've been 'lurking' for a while on this board and have found it really insightful. I'll definitely be sticking around. Good people on here.

One more quick thought--I am really sick and tired of everyone from ESPN analysts to trolls on ND boards to freaking LeBron James saying that Oregon should have been in that game and it would have been a better matchup. Have they all suddenly forgot the Oregon-Stanford game?! Oregon's offense was bottled up when they had to face a strong, physical defense. Well, Bama's defense is stronger, more physical and FASTER than Stanford's. No way Oregon's offense would have been flying past the Tide's D.

And, Oregon's defense?! They couldn't stop the helpless USC Trojans. What Bama's O-Line/Lacy/Yeldon did to ND's defense would pale in comparison to what they'd do to the Ducks.

Bama is on top right now and is the envy of the college world. The standard is set and now we are all playing catch up.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Finally, I just love the way you guys play football. I am so tired of Florida, UGA, and other SEC fans pounding their chest after your win. You guys are a completely different animal than them. Watching the Florida-Louisville game and seeing their players showboating after a big hit even if the ballcarrier had gained a good chunk of yardage was pathetic. They played dirty with late hits, endless jawing back and forth and nonstop showboating. I saw much of the same from UGA. Bama players would make a perfect tackle, get up and get back into the huddle. No showboating, no taunting the downed player. Good, fundamental football. Saban has the young men well-trained.
Great post, and this is a point of pride among the Bama faithful. Coach Bryant always used to say, "Act like you've been there before." Coach Saban clearly has the same philosophy. I noticed several instances of reciprical respect in the NCG, once when a ND player helped a Bama ball carrier up after a tackle, and another when a ND player gave a Bama player a butt or helmet slap, as if to say, "well done." That speaks well of your program, coaching, and future. Be patient with Coach Kelly. It's clear that he understands that excellence starts with humility, and if given enough time, he'll eventually guide you back to the ranks of the elite.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Very welcome post. For starters, there is no chemical help here, no matter what may be popular on other sites. It's tested regularly. That's just a handy excuse for not doing things the right way. I applaud Kelly for paying attention to nutrition. It has been a focus of CNS. It's unfortunate, but college kids today cannot be relied upon to follow their family's guidelines for what they're consuming. A good football team cannot run on pizza alone.

Something else you might want to take back to your home board(s). Alabama is deadly serious about academics. Our GSR is up to 85%, just behind Vanderbilt, in the SEC. That's risen substantially under Saban, and will continue to rise, but a large public university, some four times or so the size of Notre Dame, will never reach ND's 97%. Our GSR is not padded with basket-weaving. In fact, some Notre Dame fans might do well to do a bit more research on Alabama academics before some of the crap I've seen spewed on some ND sites. For example, our law school is ranked in the 20s range, the same as Notre Dame's. It happens that I'm also a graduate of NYU's school of law, which is ranked in a stratosphere Notre Dame will never sniff.

I don't mean to dump on a friendly new member, which you obviously are. I'm a bit raw from all the "cheating" crap I've read to alibi Bama's success in the last few days. (BTW, look it up - the SEC dropped to a 25 signing limit when the NCAA was still at 28, and all scholarships are four years, barring medical, academic and rules violations exceptions.) The point is that it's possible, with the right guy at the top, to run a proper academic ship and have a successful football program without running the "football factory" I see Bama being accused of being on many Notre Dame sites.

Again, thanks for visiting and thanks for the post recognizing some of the strengths of the program as crafted by Coach Saban. Some of my earlier remarks aren't aimed at you, but rather over your shoulder, at some of the infuriating nonsense I've been seeing the last couple of days on some ND sites. If the criticisms of Alabama were (subjunctive warning) only framed in proper grammar and spelled properly, it would be easier to take it seriously.

Repeating, thanks for your visit and your compliments. I think ND is doing a lot of things correctly and I hope that ND and Kelly can work things out. I think it will be the best for both parties...

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
...maybe we will meet again some time soon.
Oh, I think it will definitely happen - or at least it should. Clearly two of the special names in college football should play.

On a side note, I wouldn't get too down about any loss, even an "epic" one. See us vs. Utah in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. I'm guessing Coach Saban would tell your boys it doesn't matter much how you lost a game but what counts is what you learn from the loss. I think you guys are on the right path considering you seem to understand what so many teams don't - you win with defense FIRST. Closer to home is Vanderbilt and they are showing you can compete in the SEC even with tougher academic standards.

Appreciate the respectful post. Good luck next year. :wink:

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
What a great post.

I sat next to a Notre Dame alum on a flight from Dallas to San Diego earlier this week. He said much the same thing that you did. He knew football and he knew what y'all were up against.

I really do think Kelly has the Irish on the right track. He's probably got a year or so before he gets his team where he thinks it needs to be, but the man can coach and he's won championships before.

Y'all will be fine and it's good to have the traditional powers back where they belong.

Great post, I've been humbled myself so I know how it is. One thing you talked about is what the analysts and LBJ said about wanting a Bama/Oregon match-up. Two things they don't realize or forgot. This team is better than what we thought and Saban dissects better than anyone. Oregon has speed but when you can't use it, it does you no good. Bama eats clock and Oregon is a rhythm team. Much like Stanford did, and even more, we would keep them off rhythm. But there's no need of playing them. Auburn and LSU laid the road map to beat them anyway. They wouldn't stand a chance in the big game.

We do recruit bigger players as well too, it's not all weight room, but it is mostly if they buy in.

Sent from Jay's iPhone

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
C'mon, nsideirish54.......You know better than that!!!......In regard to the "Oregon would have been the better opponent" comments made by the talking heads at ESPN, it is never a question of who actually "earned" the right to play in the game, it is always about "Who Else" should have played in the game..........

You are right, it is funny they mentioned Oregon's offense vs. Alabama's defense but not Alabama's offense vs. Oregon's defense......hmmmm.....???

P.S. Everett Golson is a damn good QB.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
nside, I can honestly say that yours is the classiest post I've ever read on this board by a rival fan. Thanks for your compliments (on behalf of our players, of course).

And I'll share a secret with you - the strength of our players comes from our down-home cooking (peas & cornbread); our speed comes from chasing our female cousins all over the place.:wink::) (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
GREAT POST...

It takes swallowing a little pride and a measure of guts to step up and admit your shortcomings.
You have both the humbleness and Knowledge to see whats necessary to get to the next level.

We are especially proud of Scott Cochran our Strength and Conditioning coach.
Coach Cochran is one of the best at turning boys into men.

PS: Notre Dame needs to forget about doing 'Stare Downs' in the future...
It's about the only complaint I would make about a good Notre Dame program.
You were a pretty classy bunch.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
What, a humble ND fan! Welcome. I have a couple of relatives that went to ND and in their basement, on the couch are 2 small pillows that say its hard to be humble when you went to ND. And on the wall is a 1966 banner of their NC that was taken from us.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Very Classy post, thank you!

I like your coach he was a class act in all the PC's before & after the game. I hope he sticks with you all. Your players did a good job with the media as well.

I said way before the game it would not be close and that is because Alabama does not hope they believe they can beat anyone. When we are off we can be beat but this is a team that just does not give up.

I really do hope we get to meet again.

RBTider

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 15, 2009
Oxford Alabama
Great post! I think we've all been humbled at one time or another. I also believe Notre Dame is close to turnig the corner and being a great team. I like Coach Kelly and believe he's the right man for Notre Dame. I am not a ND fan, but was impressed with the character the coaches and team displayed the other night. I was also impressed with a young quarterback. He wasn't supposed to be able to get out of the pocket, but did manage to do so and made some pretty good throughs under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.