Great to Win over Notre Dame in a Game that Meant Something

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
I know we won 28-10 in 1986, but that game was against an ND team rebuilding in Lou Holtz's first year. That win was tempered as well by the fact Bill Curry took the 1987 team to South Bend and was demolished 37-6.

It seems everytime we have competed with ND, in the polls or on the field, and with the stakes high, Alabama came up on the short end of the deal.

I think the win Monday ranks with the 1925 Rose Bowl as the most important wins in Alabama History.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Maybe there was something to the inferiority complex that effected some of Coach Bryant's teams. But I do know that Coach Saban's philosophy of eliminating clutter like that seems to pay off. We could have been 0-100 vs them and it would have not made a hill of beans.

CrimsonTsunami

Scout Team
Jan 27, 2010
Birmingham
I know we won 28-10 in 1986, but that game was against an ND team rebuilding in Lou Holtz's first year. That win was tempered as well by the fact Bill Curry took the 1987 team to South Bend and was demolished 37-6.

It seems everytime we have competed with ND, in the polls or on the field, and with the stakes high, Alabama came up on the short end of the deal.

I think the win Monday ranks with the 1925 Rose Bowl as the most important wins in Alabama History.
Agree that it is a huge win because 1) National Title and 2) Notre Dame, but I'm very reluctant to mention it in the same breath as the 1926 Rose Bowl over Washington.

"The game that changed the South," not only established Alabama football, but it laid the groundwork for southern football to become as dominant as it is today. Also, the 20-19 win over Washington was one of the most competitive Rose Bowls of all time.

The win over Notre Dame is significant in Alabama football history, about as significant as defeating Texas in 2009 (given our struggles with those two programs), but the 1926 Rose Bowl is the most important football game Alabama has played or ever will play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.