Thoughts 5 Days after another title...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I took about 5 days just to reflect on this past football season and on the just completed 5 year run that Bama has just finished before coming on here and posting anything. It is just really unbelievable when one steps back and thinks about what has transpired over the last 5 seasons. I've been watching since I was 8 years old (started in 1970) and have seen some great Alabama teams and seasons- but the 2008-2012 run is without a doubt the most impressive time frame of Tide Football- and that is saying a bunch after the great teams that Bear Bryant put on a field.

I really hope the younger generation has an appreciation and clear understanding of just how difficult these accomplishments are- do not take this success for granted. Bama is the complete envy of the entire college football world. Savor this time and be very, very proud. Put on your Bama hat, sweat shirt, T-shirt and completely soak this era in. For those of you who live out of state- walk around with your Bama gear on and watch fans of other programs just shake their heads- mostly out of respect.

These kids representing this state and university are an impressive lot- great character and discipline. Makes me very proud everytime I hear them interviewed.

If someone had told you 6 years ago that Saban would lead our team to 3 titles in 4 seasons- and that the last season would begin by beating Michigan 41-14 and conclude with smashing ND 42-14 for the NC- would you have thought that possible? Just incredible.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When you're watching the 5 years unfold, it really does amaze me the accomplishments the Tide has done. I too witnessed the Coach Bryant years and thought we'd never see another run like that again. Thank you Coach Saban, Coach Moore and the young men who have put us back on top. I don't know how long this ride will last but I'm enjoying it so much.

Roll Tide!

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
From the minds eye of the 10-13 year old I was in the late 70s, there will never be another run like I witnessed in the late 70s. Reality says something different. The latest three have been no doubters. The Crimson Tide victories have left no doubt amongst reasonable football fans who the greatest team in the land is. We have witnessed greatness seldom seen in sports. As Steely Dan said years ago, "they've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
My Dad has talked about growing up and watching Bear Bryant dominate college football and win 6 Titles at Alabama. I always thought to myself, "man I wish I was alive to see all that back then." Well...I'm currently witnessing something just as great.

When Alabama stomped Clemson in 2008 I just knew something special was happening. I think most Alabama fans did. Sure we didn't finish that season the way we expected, but everything changed that day in the Georgia Dome against Clemson. Alabama had a new look both physically and mentally on the field. Ever since then Alabama has been on a path of destruction and on a path towards perfection.

At only 22 years old I definitely won't take this for granted. I'm going to enjoy every second of this. The 2009 season is still embedded in my mind and the 2009 SEC Championship Game is my favorite game to this day.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
It still hasn't quite hit me that we not only won the NC for a second straight year, but in the way we dominated ND was pure satisfaction, especially with the media fawning over their chosen team. By halftime, everyone that legitimately thought ND would be winning was just speechless.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I took about 5 days just to reflect on this past football season and on the just completed 5 year run that Bama has just finished before coming on here and posting anything. It is just really unbelievable when one steps back and thinks about what has transpired over the last 5 seasons. I've been watching since I was 8 years old (started in 1970) and have seen some great Alabama teams and seasons- but the 2008-2012 run is without a doubt the most impressive time frame of Tide Football- and that is saying a bunch after the great teams that Bear Bryant put on a field.

I really hope the younger generation has an appreciation and clear understanding of just how difficult these accomplishments are- do not take this success for granted. Bama is the complete envy of the entire college football world. Savor this time and be very, very proud. Put on your Bama hat, sweat shirt, T-shirt and completely soak this era in. For those of you who live out of state- walk around with your Bama gear on and watch fans of other programs just shake their heads- mostly out of respect.

These kids representing this state and university are an impressive lot- great character and discipline. Makes me very proud everytime I hear them interviewed.

If someone had told you 6 years ago that Saban would lead our team to 3 titles in 4 seasons- and that the last season would begin by beating Michigan 41-14 and conclude with smashing ND 42-14 for the NC- would you have thought that possible? Just incredible.
I guess you could call me one of the "old timers" since I just turned 65, and remember my Dad taking me to my first game in Mobile to watch Coach Bryant`s first teams play Tulane. I`ve been privileged to witness two golden eras of Alabama football (Coach Bryant`s 25 years and now this). Because the rules and game have changed so much since Coach Bryant`s time, what we are in the midst of is truly amazing and in many ways more impressive. Coach Saban will not have the longevity that Coach Bryant had, so everyone needs to relish every day of this. Whether or not we are witnessing the last true dynasty remains to be seen. I certainly expect it will my last golden era and I`m thankful to be here for it.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
And to add further to just how impressive this year's NC was, we won it in a rebuilding season. With 21 players returning in 2013 that have starting experience, it's downright scary to think how good we could be next year. The possibility of us being able to play for an unprecedented fourth title in five yrs is not that far-fetched--in fact right now I'd say it's LIKELY to happen.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I think Winston Groom needs to UPDATE his book: The Crimson Tide: An Illustrated History of Football at The University of Alabama copyright 2000. I need some reading material regarding the Crimson Tide with up to date records.

Winston, if you are out there I will definitely buy an update. There is definitely enough new and outstanding stuff to put in an updated revision.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I guess you could call me one of the "old timers" since I just turned 65, and remember my Dad taking me to my first game in Mobile to watch Coach Bryant`s first teams play Tulane. I`ve been privileged to witness two golden eras of Alabama football (Coach Bryant`s 25 years and now this). Because the rules and game have changed so much since Coach Bryant`s time, what we are in the midst of is truly amazing and in many ways more impressive. Coach Saban will not have the longevity that Coach Bryant had, so everyone needs to relish every day of this. Whether or not we are witnessing the last true dynasty remains to be seen. I certainly expect it will my last golden era and I`m thankful to be here for it.
I'm right behind you age wise. Coach Bryant was larger than life and had a palpable aura anytime you were anywhere near him. He used that power in his coaching. One of Coach Bryant's weaknesses was keeping his teams focused and preparing for bowl games. He never seemed to get that long layoff right and he tried it different ways.

Coach Saban is nothing if not focused and somehow he's able to impart that focus to his teams. I've never seen anything like it in any sport.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Coach Saban has had three 1 loss seasons ..... and won a BCS title all three times! So, here is hoping we lose one game next year! Roll Tide!

being 65 yrs old I can remember the "good times." I hope the good times are still rolling when I am gone. Roll Tide!

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
From the minds eye of the 10-13 year old I was in the late 70s, there will never be another run like I witnessed in the late 70s. Reality says something different. The latest three have been no doubters. The Crimson Tide victories have left no doubt amongst reasonable football fans who the greatest team in the land is. We have witnessed greatness seldom seen in sports. As Steely Dan said years ago, "they've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
my exact thought. I did not think CPB would ever be equaled, but he has. That is no disrespect to Coach Bryant, but a testament to CNS and BAMA football.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think Winston Groom needs to UPDATE his book: The Crimson Tide: An Illustrated History of Football at The University of Alabama copyright 2000. I need some reading material regarding the Crimson Tide with up to date records.

Winston, if you are out there I will definitely buy an update. There is definitely enough new and outstanding stuff to put in an updated revision.
But there is more to come.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.