Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

Try to think back to before the bowls and decide who would be in... Alabama and Notre Dame would be locks, but then what? Florida? Georgia beat them head to head. Do the Dawgs get punished for winning their division and losing to Bama? Oregon? Didn't win their conference and lost to Stanford. The Cardinal were PAC 12 champs and beat Oregon but had 2 losses (Notre Dame not bad, Washington= BAD.) Kansas St? Meh... Texas A&M had the best win, but also had 2 losses. Post bowl games, I don't think anyone could argue that they would be top 4. Florida St? What if Ohio St was eligible?

I guess I would take

1 Notre Dame vs 4 Oregon
    2 Alabama vs 3 Florida

Georgia is out by playing a defacto play in game. K St never impressed me much.

I think the 4 best teams are Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Oregon.
    Gonna be a lot of ticked off people once it starts, and I personally am not looking forward to it. I like the system the way it is, but we'll see. Thoughts?
    I'm a lead farmer

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: 4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

I believe that's exactly how it would have been. No way there will ever be more than 2 SEC teams in the playoff, and no way those 2 SEC teams don't play each other to determine who plays for the NC.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

K-State would have gone ahead of Florida. Conf champ and only one loss.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    K-State would have gone ahead of Florida. Conf champ and only one loss.
    I think Oregon would have been the one left out. ND, Bama, UF, K St.

I think those are the teams that should have been in, but who knows how they would have decided.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmmiller711 View Post
    I think Oregon would have been the one left out. ND, Bama, UF, K St.
    That very well could have happened and in my opinion would have sucked. Only one of those teams is one of the best 4 teams in the country. This is why I don't look forward to it. Plus they don't use polls or anything so we really will have no idea what the committee is thinking until they announce the games.
    I'm a lead farmer

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

The fact is we won't know until we see it in action. Right now, we just draw what is the most obvious conclusions to us, but it's a committee. They can do what ever they want, for what ever reason. Would Kansas St. automatically get in because they were conference champions? Would Florida make it in over Oregon because of SoS?

The fact is we can't use any existing system to guess what they'd do, because they quite deliberately threw it all out. No polls, no BCS standings... the only two things they stated as factors from what I could tell was SoS and being conference champs. We assume they would weigh that against the polls (will the BCS standings even exist anymore? I guess not) but there's no way around a few people in a room doing what ever they feel like.

I think it's kind of a no-brainer, it should be the top 4 in the BCS standings, but they went out of their way for it to not be that, so the logical assumption it that it would be something different.

To me, going by what they have said it would likely have been Alabama, Notre Dame, and Florida. Kansas St. would jump Oregon due the combination of higher SoS and being conference champs.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

"Two isn't enough, we need four." It was said for a time, and finally, the right people were convinced. In less than five years, "four isn't enough, we need eight." Anyone who thinks that we have instilled a four team playoff only is missing the point. We have okayed the playoff model, which will swell until it is as big as it can be without anyone being left out. The regular season might still matter now, but by the time it is an 8 or 16 team playoff, it will start mattering less.
    And, the decision would have been between Oregon and Kansas State, and I think KSU would have gotten the nod due to winning their conference.

BamaNation Second Team centerstar's Avatar

Has anyone considered what's going to happen to post season attendance? The bowls are not well attended now. In FCS, the regular season is well attended and the playoffs are not.

If there are 2 SEC teams in the 4 team format, I bet they will try to match us up against each other. That being said, if it had been in place this past year. We should have been matched up with Florida.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

Yeah, this is about to get even stranger.

Sent from Jay's iPhone

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Yeah, this is about to get even stranger.

Sent from Jay's iPhone
    We don't know what we don't know. I agree with Krazy in that I think they will do everything they can to keep 2 SEC tems out.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    "Two isn't enough, we need four." It was said for a time, and finally, the right people were convinced. In less than five years, "four isn't enough, we need eight." Anyone who thinks that we have instilled a four team playoff only is missing the point. We have okayed the playoff model, which will swell until it is as big as it can be without anyone being left out. The regular season might still matter now, but by the time it is an 8 or 16 team playoff, it will start mattering less.
    And, the decision would have been between Oregon and Kansas State, and I think KSU would have gotten the nod due to winning their conference.
    And this would be different from every other sport how? Funny thing is that people will use this argument to say that a playoff will ruin college football. But what's the one sport that we all say has a messed up post season process? NCAA basketball? Nope. NCAA baseball? Nope. NBA, NFL, NHL? No.

If the current system is bad and a playoff isn't the answer.....then please provide a solution.
    Be Good Or Be Gone