Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    I would say the NBA is more popular country wide, imo. NCAA Basketball tournament games are also typically viewed in higher numbers then most college football games...
    College football is now the 2nd most popular sport in the country, behind the NFL.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: 4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

I would say the NBA is more popular country wide, imo. NCAA Basketball tournament games are also typically viewed in higher numbers then most college football games...
    NCAA football is tied with the MLB for the second most popular sport in America. I think that's based off of ratings, don't have the stats right in front of me. But, for instance the BCSCG was the highest rated cable program in two years, since the first BCSCG on cable.

Point is, it ain't broken and I'm not sure what kind of self loathing Alabama fan someone has to be to be like man this BCS stuff is really messed up, let's hurry up and change it to something more random (quoting a playoff supporter who applauded that a playoff would at least make things more random) because I hate these results.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

March madness is awesome. But that's the problem. They are known for their postseason and only die hard fans even follow the regular season. And, yes, CFB is now the second most popular sport in America.
    And, even the NFL regular season ratings are down this year following a 9-7 team winning the Super Bowl.
    http://www.adweek.com/news/televisio...-season-146305

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

The playoff games won't be bowls per se... the actual Sugar Bowl will still exist, though. The bowls will rotate hosting the semifinal games, so when they are in the rotation they have no conference alignment. When not in rotation it will match an SEC team vs s Big12 team (per new contract agreement). That will be the top team not in the "playoffs". This year, assuming the Sugar bowl wasn't in rotation, Alabama and Florida get in the semifinal "bowl"... Georgia would have played in the Sugar... More money for the SEC now, as there aren't any "limits" on what is now 6 major "Bowls" + 1
    So you saying the Sugar Bowl could get even worse!

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    So you saying the Sugar Bowl could get even worse!
    No way the Sugar could have been worse. Florida? The rotten egg still smells!

My Mood

Until the FBS is "fixed", any playoff involving 120+ teams is merely to appease some fans. IOW, "I'm not really doin' nothing, but it looks good". Moving the problem around and fixing it are two different things.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood

I still don't buy the "the regular season wont mean much" theory on the playoffs. Because there are no guaranteed spots the regular season is still VERY MUCH important. If we don't continue to win we will not be in the playoffs just like the BCS now. So what is changed? Only now we get a better title game because 4 teams have to PROVE it on the field against each other rather than say "our conference is better".

Most of the teams that have won the BCSCG would have probably won a 4 team playoff as well. So yet again, why is the playoffs so bad? I still say 8 teams is the best venture and we can't really go any higher so there goes the argument about "we have 4, now we need 8, then we need 16, 32, etc."

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    March madness is awesome. But that's the problem. They are known for their postseason and only die hard fans even follow the regular season. And, yes, CFB is now the second most popular sport in America.
    And, even the NFL regular season ratings are down this year following a 9-7 team winning the Super Bowl.
    http://www.adweek.com/news/televisio...-season-146305
    College basketball didn't get the ratings before March Madness started, and probably didn't get the ratings in title games that it gets now due to their playoff. And don't sell CBB short, outside of the South it is widely watched. In the North/East Coast it is just as big as football is to us.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I cannot believe this debate about playoffs has gone on and not one person has posted a video of Jim Mora.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll still sing it loud... need 5 conference winners (SEC, Pac12, Big10, Big12, ACC) and 3 at-large teams for an 8 game playoff. Hammer and 4 nails. Done.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I am not sure who will be in charge of the bowl system after next year, but you can bet the ranch however it turns out will be driven by dollars. I said before that the 4 team playoff will have a short life expectancy, look for the expansion to 8 teams within the next 5 years.

I have been a CFB fan for longer than a lot of posters on here have been alive, but the changes I see coming do not bode well for CFB unless turning it into NFL Lite is the motive. I will always watch Alabama and probably most of the SEC teams, but outside of that I have little interest in CFB anymore.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner