Question: 4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Try to think back to before the bowls and decide who would be in... Alabama and Notre Dame would be locks, but then what? Florida? Georgia beat them head to head. Do the Dawgs get punished for winning their division and losing to Bama? Oregon? Didn't win their conference and lost to Stanford. The Cardinal were PAC 12 champs and beat Oregon but had 2 losses (Notre Dame not bad, Washington= BAD.) Kansas St? Meh... Texas A&M had the best win, but also had 2 losses. Post bowl games, I don't think anyone could argue that they would be top 4. Florida St? What if Ohio St was eligible?

I guess I would take

1 Notre Dame vs 4 Oregon
2 Alabama vs 3 Florida

Georgia is out by playing a defacto play in game. K St never impressed me much.

I think the 4 best teams are Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Oregon.
Gonna be a lot of ticked off people once it starts, and I personally am not looking forward to it. I like the system the way it is, but we'll see. Thoughts?

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I think those are the teams that should have been in, but who knows how they would have decided.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
I think Oregon would have been the one left out. ND, Bama, UF, K St.
That very well could have happened and in my opinion would have sucked. Only one of those teams is one of the best 4 teams in the country. This is why I don't look forward to it. Plus they don't use polls or anything so we really will have no idea what the committee is thinking until they announce the games.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The fact is we won't know until we see it in action. Right now, we just draw what is the most obvious conclusions to us, but it's a committee. They can do what ever they want, for what ever reason. Would Kansas St. automatically get in because they were conference champions? Would Florida make it in over Oregon because of SoS?

The fact is we can't use any existing system to guess what they'd do, because they quite deliberately threw it all out. No polls, no BCS standings... the only two things they stated as factors from what I could tell was SoS and being conference champs. We assume they would weigh that against the polls (will the BCS standings even exist anymore? I guess not) but there's no way around a few people in a room doing what ever they feel like.

I think it's kind of a no-brainer, it should be the top 4 in the BCS standings, but they went out of their way for it to not be that, so the logical assumption it that it would be something different.

To me, going by what they have said it would likely have been Alabama, Notre Dame, and Florida. Kansas St. would jump Oregon due the combination of higher SoS and being conference champs.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
"Two isn't enough, we need four." It was said for a time, and finally, the right people were convinced. In less than five years, "four isn't enough, we need eight." Anyone who thinks that we have instilled a four team playoff only is missing the point. We have okayed the playoff model, which will swell until it is as big as it can be without anyone being left out. The regular season might still matter now, but by the time it is an 8 or 16 team playoff, it will start mattering less.
And, the decision would have been between Oregon and Kansas State, and I think KSU would have gotten the nod due to winning their conference.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Has anyone considered what's going to happen to post season attendance? The bowls are not well attended now. In FCS, the regular season is well attended and the playoffs are not.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
If there are 2 SEC teams in the 4 team format, I bet they will try to match us up against each other. That being said, if it had been in place this past year. We should have been matched up with Florida.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
"Two isn't enough, we need four." It was said for a time, and finally, the right people were convinced. In less than five years, "four isn't enough, we need eight." Anyone who thinks that we have instilled a four team playoff only is missing the point. We have okayed the playoff model, which will swell until it is as big as it can be without anyone being left out. The regular season might still matter now, but by the time it is an 8 or 16 team playoff, it will start mattering less.
And, the decision would have been between Oregon and Kansas State, and I think KSU would have gotten the nod due to winning their conference.
And this would be different from every other sport how? Funny thing is that people will use this argument to say that a playoff will ruin college football. But what's the one sport that we all say has a messed up post season process? NCAA basketball? Nope. NCAA baseball? Nope. NBA, NFL, NHL? No.

If the current system is bad and a playoff isn't the answer.....then please provide a solution.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
And this would be different from every other sport how?
CFB is my favorite sport. I don't want it to be like other sports. I would rather other sports become more like CFB.

Funny thing is that people will use this argument to say that a playoff will ruin college football. But what's the one sport that we all say has a messed up post season process? NCAA basketball? Nope. NCAA baseball? Nope. NBA, NFL, NHL? No.
What do those sports have in common? I don't watch them until the postseason (except NHL, which I don't watch at all).

If the current system is bad and a playoff isn't the answer.....then please provide a solution.
We have won three of four national championships. CFB is one of my favorite things in life. It brings my family together, it gives me and my son something to bond over, and it is just plain fun. Remind me what is wrong? Oh yeah, the SEC keeps winning. Forgive me for being uninterested in trying to "fix" that.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
I don't think the current system is bad. 1 plays 2 for the championship. What more do you need? The regular season is important. Every weekend counts and the two teams that performed the best for the entire season are rewarded. I love that college football is different than all the other sports. I've watched 3 basketball games this year. Never watch a regular season nba game. Maybe 2-3 baseball games til the post season. NFL teams with 7 losses get in... Yet on every saturday, I watch college football from 9 am til the last PAC 12 game ends after midnight. Just worried that it won't be the same. But we'll have to wait and see.

Roll Tide

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Okay.

Argument one: "It ruins the regular season. I don't watch these other sports anyways."

Ummm...yeah. Every other sport is fine, so that stops the first part. The second has no bearing. The reason most people HERE don't watch other sports is because you grew up in Alabama where there IS only one sport. For most people this is like a country finally moving out of the dark ages.

Argument two: "They'll just put two SEC teams together in the first round"

You give conspiracy too much credit. Last year, had there been a playoff, LSU and Bama wouldn't have played in a semifinal. If the teams are a clear one and two, they'll get split. If they aren't, who cares? If you're in, you're in. Who you play first should be secondary to your goal.

Argument 3: "They'll just make it conference champions."

Not gonna happen. Between the SEC and Notre Dame, you don't have to worry with that.

Argument 4: "it's working. We always win. CNS said..."

One day the current system will hiccup and not work for us (see Auburn 2004). This almost assures an SEC team being in the championship. Next, if we win it all now...we should do the same then. Having extra time to prepare still gives us an advantage. Finally, I've heard CNS say he was fine with the playoff. I think he believes his teams should get in every year, and once that happens he's confident his can beat theirs..

I think most arguments are much ado about nothing...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'll be the guy in the middle both sides turn on.

Let's talk ruined regular seasons - namely, baseball. I'm 43. I remember when we had these strange things called pennant races. But they came up with the wildcard, making the regular season semi-meaningless. Then they came up with the additional wildcard and made it completely meaningless. In 1993, the Braves & Giants put on a pennant race for the ages and I watched 94 regular season baseball games of the Braves.

I don't think I've watched 94 regular season games if you added them all up since then because they're pointless. And you can't say it's because the Braves stunk; they won the division every year from 1991 to 2005. So please don't tell me expanding a playoff does not water down a regular season because it does.

Let me prove it to you - how many Tide fans would have watched Oregon- USC or Kansas St-Baylor if you knew 16 teams would square off? Almost none of you because it would not have affected us. How many would have watched Iowa St-Okie St last year? Nearly none, it wouldn't have mattered.

The flip side - my beef with the BCS - is that nonsense is still nonsense no matter who says it. When a computer can still say after a 28-point shellacking that Notre Dame ranks ahead of us, it is a sick joke to use that computer for anything. Same with those that ranked Okie St number 2 after their loss to Iowa St.

And a team should not start with an inherent rankings advantage by virtue of preseason hype, either. Had we run the table in 2005, we'd have been on the outside looking in because USC and Texas started 1-2 based on hype.

We must have a head to head matchup rather than the old multiple champs nonsense. Four teams is a fair compromise but all they need to do is use the flawed polls and take the top four. The polls are not THAT skewed and at least a team that started outside the rankings could get to number four by winning out.

I got into it with Andy Staples on Twitter over a similar thing. He ranked aTm ahead of Notre Dame. No real problem there. But he also ranked Oregon ahead of Stanford. Listen to the convoluted logic of an AP voter:

He voted aTm ahead of the Irish bc if they played he thinks aTm would win. Fair enough. But shouldn't Stanford - by that logic - be ahead of Oregon since they DID win? Nope, Stanford had more losses (so did aTm). But at least if it were a top four this would matter less.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Here's the bump in current CFB logic that just baffles me:

The champion of the season should be primarily based on who's the best team right now and the date of your loss.

Makes zero sense to me. We hear every year about NCAA tourney teams that got hot at the end of the year but didn't make it in. The Houston Texans finished weak but their body of work for the season still earned them an opportunity to win their way to the SB.

Personally, I've long been in favor of a 12-16 team format for CFB. I'd love to see smaller schools get their piece of the pie. How about if NIU had played and beat ND?? Certainly feasible, all things considered. I think that would've been good for CFB.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This year if we had a playoff... ('Swami Sez'...)
#1 ND. faces #3 or #4
#2 AL. faces #3 or #4
ND would likely have been beaten in the first round of the playoffs. (EXPOSED TO THE WORLD...)

If it were done by giving weight to conference champions, it would have been a confusing cluster, which would only result in leaving out a better team.

This year is a perfect example of teams from some conferences looking like world beaters,
until they play someone from a stronger conference.
That was always our argument against using conference championships
for the top four teams.
The ND argument was made that they chose to be Independent (Ancient history)

RESULT
You still need to go by some formula to arrive at 1-4.
If not BCS then how ya gonna choose?

WHO GETS LEFT OUT?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.