Question: 4 team Play-off this year. Who's in?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's the bump in current CFB logic that just baffles me:

The champion of the season should be primarily based on who's the best team right now and the date of your loss.

Makes zero sense to me. We hear every year about NCAA tourney teams that got hot at the end of the year but didn't make it in. The Houston Texans finished weak but their body of work for the season still earned them an opportunity to win their way to the SB.

Personally, I've long been in favor of a 12-16 team format for CFB. I'd love to see smaller schools get their piece of the pie. How about if NIU had played and beat ND?? Certainly feasible, all things considered. I think that would've been good for CFB.
You're right about the loss and I've made this point. In 1983 there were five one-loss teams in the final poll. Miami got the title because they lost game one; Nebraska and Texas lost it because they lost their bowl games. Georgia beat Texas but lost out because Auburn beat them. Auburn lost to Texas but beat Georgia. Auburn beat Florida who beat Miami.

Yet only the losses by Nebraska & Texas really meant much.

The BCS does fix that to a degree.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Has any explanation been given to how the whole thing will work. Here's what I understand at this point.

Some group picks four teams for the playoffs and are matched up in some manner. I assume they will play in what we now call BCS games. (Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange) or sold out to high bidding sites like the Peach Bowl (Yeah, I know what its called now) or Jerry World. Then the winners will meet in a game similar to the current BCSCG, an extra game played alongside an existing bowl game.

Is this close to what will happen? Will some attempt be made to send the SEC champ to the Sugar Bowl if they are hosting a semifinal game or the Pac 12/Big Ten teams to the rose if they are in it? And how will the new Champions Bowl between the SEC and Big XII champs if they aren't both in the playoffs or aren't paired in the semifinals figure in to all this?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think they will revisit the idea of having #1 and #2 host games at their home stadium. I could see very poor attendance at sites that could be clear across the country one week and a championship in another location a week later. Do it like the pros. It would be a lot more practical for fans.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The playoff games won't be bowls per se... the actual Sugar Bowl will still exist, though. The bowls will rotate hosting the semifinal games, so when they are in the rotation they have no conference alignment. When not in rotation it will match an SEC team vs s Big12 team (per new contract agreement). That will be the top team not in the "playoffs". This year, assuming the Sugar bowl wasn't in rotation, Alabama and Florida get in the semifinal "bowl"... Georgia would have played in the Sugar... More money for the SEC now, as there aren't any "limits" on what is now 6 major "Bowls" + 1

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
NCAA basketball? Nope. NCAA baseball? Nope. NBA, NFL, NHL? No.

If the current system is bad and a playoff isn't the answer.....then please provide a solution.
First off, the current system isn't bad. Or are you going to say it is? I mean, it's just terrible that Alabama has won three out of four. Bad, unforgivable, clearly an indication that something is seriously wrong. I mean, what's with this whole most deserving team actually winning championships? That never happens, clearly something is wrong.

Anyway, let's see... college football is more popular than the NBA, NHL, NCAA basketball, and NCAA baseball. If it's wrong I guess they shouldn't want to be right.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I would say the NBA is more popular country wide, imo. NCAA Basketball tournament games are also typically viewed in higher numbers then most college football games...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would say the NBA is more popular country wide, imo. NCAA Basketball tournament games are also typically viewed in higher numbers then most college football games...
NCAA football is tied with the MLB for the second most popular sport in America. I think that's based off of ratings, don't have the stats right in front of me. But, for instance the BCSCG was the highest rated cable program in two years, since the first BCSCG on cable.

Point is, it ain't broken and I'm not sure what kind of self loathing Alabama fan someone has to be to be like man this BCS stuff is really messed up, let's hurry up and change it to something more random (quoting a playoff supporter who applauded that a playoff would at least make things more random) because I hate these results.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
March madness is awesome. But that's the problem. They are known for their postseason and only die hard fans even follow the regular season. And, yes, CFB is now the second most popular sport in America.
And, even the NFL regular season ratings are down this year following a 9-7 team winning the Super Bowl.
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/nfl-caps-another-powerhouse-season-146305

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The playoff games won't be bowls per se... the actual Sugar Bowl will still exist, though. The bowls will rotate hosting the semifinal games, so when they are in the rotation they have no conference alignment. When not in rotation it will match an SEC team vs s Big12 team (per new contract agreement). That will be the top team not in the "playoffs". This year, assuming the Sugar bowl wasn't in rotation, Alabama and Florida get in the semifinal "bowl"... Georgia would have played in the Sugar... More money for the SEC now, as there aren't any "limits" on what is now 6 major "Bowls" + 1
So you saying the Sugar Bowl could get even worse! :)

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Until the FBS is "fixed", any playoff involving 120+ teams is merely to appease some fans. IOW, "I'm not really doin' nothing, but it looks good". Moving the problem around and fixing it are two different things. ;)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I still don't buy the "the regular season wont mean much" theory on the playoffs. Because there are no guaranteed spots the regular season is still VERY MUCH important. If we don't continue to win we will not be in the playoffs just like the BCS now. So what is changed? Only now we get a better title game because 4 teams have to PROVE it on the field against each other rather than say "our conference is better".

Most of the teams that have won the BCSCG would have probably won a 4 team playoff as well. So yet again, why is the playoffs so bad? I still say 8 teams is the best venture and we can't really go any higher so there goes the argument about "we have 4, now we need 8, then we need 16, 32, etc."

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
March madness is awesome. But that's the problem. They are known for their postseason and only die hard fans even follow the regular season. And, yes, CFB is now the second most popular sport in America.
And, even the NFL regular season ratings are down this year following a 9-7 team winning the Super Bowl.
http://www.adweek.com/news/television/nfl-caps-another-powerhouse-season-146305
College basketball didn't get the ratings before March Madness started, and probably didn't get the ratings in title games that it gets now due to their playoff. And don't sell CBB short, outside of the South it is widely watched. In the North/East Coast it is just as big as football is to us.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not sure who will be in charge of the bowl system after next year, but you can bet the ranch however it turns out will be driven by dollars. I said before that the 4 team playoff will have a short life expectancy, look for the expansion to 8 teams within the next 5 years.

I have been a CFB fan for longer than a lot of posters on here have been alive, but the changes I see coming do not bode well for CFB unless turning it into NFL Lite is the motive. I will always watch Alabama and probably most of the SEC teams, but outside of that I have little interest in CFB anymore.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.