My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

Jay Paterno : The Crimson High Tide Explained

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Jay Paterno : The Crimson High Tide Explained

- Power-run games force safeties to help defend the run, leaving the speed receivers one-on-one outside for a downfield pass attack. What may surprise you; Alabama’s offense is more explosive than Oregon’s. Despite the Oregon offense’s flashier attack and No. 5 national ranking, Alabama averaged more yards per play (6.9 to 6.6).

- The college football world had better take notice. In a world of hyper-marketed high-paced offenses wearing the uniform of the week, there is a program that is about toughness, defense and substance over style. It keeps winning the national championship.
    I've been saying this for a while now as have most SEC fans. The fast paced offenses, flashy uniform changes and video game passing yards don't get you a National Title. Proper training and guidance from coaches, consistency, hard work, dedication, physical and sound football is what makes a Champion.

And your head coach being a perfectionist doesn't hurt.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

5. It Runs the Ball. Power-run games force safeties to help defend the run, leaving the speed receivers one-on-one outside for a downfield pass attack. What may surprise you; Alabama’s offense is more explosive than Oregon’s. Despite the Oregon offense’s flashier attack and No. 5 national ranking, Alabama averaged more yards per play (6.9 to 6.6).

this is my favorite

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I was amazed all year at how truly explosive we were. All the media ever talks about is our running game, and it's very important, but we were pretty darn effective making big plays in the passing game as well. We may have had more pass receptions of over 20 yards last season than in all of Coach Saban's previous ones at Bama combined. Possibly our best offense ever.
    sip

Last year's defense was better -- probably the best ever. This year's offense is better -- and probably as good as we have ever had. Balanced, explosive, and relatively penalty free...very explosive but also disciplined. I thought this article was very insightful...thanks for sharing.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It's the Most powerful offense I have ever seen at Alabama, & just wait till Chris Black is back.

BamaNation First Team

A very insightful article, things most Tidefans have known about for a long time but it is refreshing to see this in other college articles.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Very good article! Hope it finds its way into the hands of HS all-stars pondering where to attend college...

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Jay Paterno : The Crimson High Tide Explained

Our second play from scrimmage last Monday was huge and IMO opened up the run for the rest of the game. It showed that we could exploit their DB's & they would be forced to defend both run & pass all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Here's the non-print version link:

http://www.statecollege.com/news/col...ained-1218547/
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

4. Tackling. Tackling in the college game is bad. Many teams donít tackle enough in practice. Alabama does. Tackling in practice toughens everyone on the team. Alabama's tough running backs ran through Notre Dameís defense.
    I think he's got this wrong. Doesn't Bama practice thud instead of tackling in practice due to Coach Saban's theory that most injuries are when a player gets taken to the ground? I know they do practice some tackling drills, but I doubt it's as much as Paterno makes it sound here.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Alabamaís defense sees the power-run game every day. Itís easier for a defense with speed to adjust to the spread offense than for a defense that practices against the spread to find the toughness and tackling to play the power-run game.
    This is why I prefer how we do things. It produces more consistency in the winning department. And by winning I mean winning national titles.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Paterno knows his football and writes an article that's fun to read.

I'm left wondering how he could be so perceptive about football but so clueless about Sandusky.