Jay Paterno : The Crimson High Tide Explained

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
- Power-run games force safeties to help defend the run, leaving the speed receivers one-on-one outside for a downfield pass attack. What may surprise you; Alabama’s offense is more explosive than Oregon’s. Despite the Oregon offense’s flashier attack and No. 5 national ranking, Alabama averaged more yards per play (6.9 to 6.6).

- The college football world had better take notice. In a world of hyper-marketed high-paced offenses wearing the uniform of the week, there is a program that is about toughness, defense and substance over style. It keeps winning the national championship.
I've been saying this for a while now as have most SEC fans. The fast paced offenses, flashy uniform changes and video game passing yards don't get you a National Title. Proper training and guidance from coaches, consistency, hard work, dedication, physical and sound football is what makes a Champion.

And your head coach being a perfectionist doesn't hurt.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
5. It Runs the Ball. Power-run games force safeties to help defend the run, leaving the speed receivers one-on-one outside for a downfield pass attack. What may surprise you; Alabama’s offense is more explosive than Oregon’s. Despite the Oregon offense’s flashier attack and No. 5 national ranking, Alabama averaged more yards per play (6.9 to 6.6).
this is my favorite

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I was amazed all year at how truly explosive we were. All the media ever talks about is our running game, and it's very important, but we were pretty darn effective making big plays in the passing game as well. We may have had more pass receptions of over 20 yards last season than in all of Coach Saban's previous ones at Bama combined. Possibly our best offense ever.
sip

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Last year's defense was better -- probably the best ever. This year's offense is better -- and probably as good as we have ever had. Balanced, explosive, and relatively penalty free...very explosive but also disciplined. I thought this article was very insightful...thanks for sharing.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
A very insightful article, things most Tidefans have known about for a long time but it is refreshing to see this in other college articles.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Our second play from scrimmage last Monday was huge and IMO opened up the run for the rest of the game. It showed that we could exploit their DB's & they would be forced to defend both run & pass all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
4. Tackling. Tackling in the college game is bad. Many teams don’t tackle enough in practice. Alabama does. Tackling in practice toughens everyone on the team. Alabama's tough running backs ran through Notre Dame’s defense.
I think he's got this wrong. Doesn't Bama practice thud instead of tackling in practice due to Coach Saban's theory that most injuries are when a player gets taken to the ground? I know they do practice some tackling drills, but I doubt it's as much as Paterno makes it sound here.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Alabama’s defense sees the power-run game every day. It’s easier for a defense with speed to adjust to the spread offense than for a defense that practices against the spread to find the toughness and tackling to play the power-run game.
This is why I prefer how we do things. It produces more consistency in the winning department. And by winning I mean winning national titles.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Paterno knows his football and writes an article that's fun to read.

I'm left wondering how he could be so perceptive about football but so clueless about Sandusky.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
It's the Most powerful offense I have ever seen at Alabama, & just wait till Chris Black is back.
I am a little concerned about loosing all of the talent on the offensive line. And I am hoping that Chris Black, along with Cooper is going to stretch defenses enough to make up that difference? With Chris Black, teams cannot double team Cooper, or Black will make them pay the price.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No disputing the CNS has a formula for winning it all!

But when you look at these facts, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to know that Auburn decided "power football" was the way of the future FOR ONE YEAR and then after the wheels fell off this year they have resorted back to a style that has proven can't beat us/win titles except with running a SCAM artist.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
once he explains how his dad didn't have the guts to turn in his LB coach who is sodomizing little boys THEN i'll read something jay paterno writes...

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Thanks,now I get to explain to my grandsons , who sometimes read my posts on this board , what sodomized means .
It's not a curse word. It's a word in the standard english language. It's in the Bible. Why would you not want someone to use a word that, despite what it means, is still just a word? You can't shelter kids forever...heck, more kids probably need to know what it means so they can turn in the creeps that keep doing this stuff and getting away with it.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I had not seen that stat about yards per play. When you consider how many plays we had with the starters on the bench (W. Carolina, Arkansas, Aubie, etc.) that's just an outstanding statistic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.