Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    100+ tackles his sophomore-senior year.

His dad is an intense guy, but Manti and the Te'o's have brought an UNBELIEVABLE amount of scouts back to their native soil. Marcus Mariotta may not have gotten the amount of recruiting he did if it weren't for Manti, and he has said as such. Look at Savineiia (spelling?) this year. They have done so much for that community and for that paper, so I do see his point.

Then again, once you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you should be able to take the criticism.
    I think the Tide fans got a bit of "T'eo fatigue" in the big build up, particularly when so little was being written about Mosely, who is probably really a better LB. That may explain why some of the Tide fans' evaluations may seem a bit harsh. I tend to think that MT is really a better player than showed on 1/9. The bad angles taken by a lot of the ND tacklers, which I attribute to have simply not having seen the kind of speed they were facing. A tackler has only a split second to make a decision and, if that angle is just slightly off, then a runner like a Lacy or Yeldon is either by you or you aren't going to get enough to overcome his strength. That said, some of the NFL scouts were already using the "phone booth" comment about MT. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the draft. He seems like a really nice kid. Hard to imagine his carrying Jones' suitcase for him when Barrett was on crutches...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team FriendlyIrish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think the Tide fans got a bit of "T'eo fatigue" in the big build up, particularly when so little was being written about Mosely, who is probably really a better LB. That may explain why some of the Tide fans' evaluations may seem a bit harsh. I tend to think that MT is really a better player than showed on 1/9. The bad angles taken by a lot of the ND tacklers, which I attribute to have simply not having seen the kind of speed they were facing. A tackler has only a split second to make a decision and, if that angle is just slightly off, then a runner like a Lacy or Yeldon is either by you or you aren't going to get enough to overcome his strength. That said, some of the NFL scouts were already using the "phone booth" comment about MT. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the draft. He seems like a really nice kid. Hard to imagine his carrying Jones' suitcase for him when Barrett was on crutches...
    We had never seen the type of speed that you guys had. Zeke Motta's (our safety) name was called out too many times, and although he had some good plays, his bad angles and missed tackles were the product of an inability to play at that speed level.

Most often we never had to take those kinds of angles. Denard never got going, Leveon isn't that fast, and neither is Stefan Taylor.

My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

The Pacific Islanders are very prideful people so I can understand how their family is upset by that front page depiction.

But Manti was so showered with all those awards, the Heisman candidacy, the publicity - you know with that UGLY defeat (and I mean UGLY! ) he's going to fall farther than any other ND player, don't you think?

So in certain respects 'it goes with the territory' - 'what doesn't kill him makes him stronger' - choose your cliche'.

I have not read the article so it's hard to comment any further.

He'll have a chance to redeem his pride at the next level.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    I agree. Manti played horribly in the NCG, and many people, including likely the author of that paper, were angry with his performance.

In the NFL they love you and hate you each and every week, and you have to be able to take it. Unless your Peyton Manning. Media loves you no matter what.
    I think a lot of people walked away from that game with the impression Manti was vastly overrated, but more specifically, on the physical level. Which I'm not sure is true or not.

It appeared to me that he played slow due to being confused half the night. Though our offense may "appear" simple and boring. It is more complex than a lot of people think. I think he was confused and on a football field when you don't know what you're doing or where to be you play slow. I also don't think he was ready for the physical play of our entire team. You could tell on several plays that he wasn't used to the RB's giving him that much resistance. Lacy was slinging Notre Dame players off of him while still churning his legs forward.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

Just to clarify, I think T'eo is a great player who had a bad game. It happens to everyone.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Just to clarify, I think T'eo is a great player who had a bad game. It happens to everyone.
    He

I agree. Saw a pro scout say he would be a great prospect; still top 15 pick. He flew through the line several times only to miss the tackle. says a lot about our backs, but he will adjust to pros. He has the talent.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I agree with you on this. I also believe that he will do good at the next level. But, I have to say that if he goes to either the Jet's, or the Giants that the press will be much worse than in Indiana.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

Cry me a river!!

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Hey now...Manti Teo is every bit as good as the Honey Badger.
    Lucky #13

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonChuck View Post
    Hey now...Manti Teo is every bit as good as the Honey Badger.
    Good one!!

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Unfortunately the media isn't in the business of making genuine friendships and have no loyalties. When Mr. Te'o was giving out interviews, photo's and such (because his son was doing great). The media was more than likely his best friend. Mr. Te'o just didn't realize they didn't care on bit about his son, his "great story" and the like. They just wanted to sell newspapers. So, when his son got his jock strapped yanked down in front of the world and exposed for what he really was, which was an overrated LB. The media jumped on the other side of the fence and took advantage of the situation. Hence the photo.
    Buzz, a newspaper's responsibility is to sell copies by printing the truth. Based on the game that we all saw, is there anything inaccurate in that photo? Young Mr. Teo is the biggest sports celebrity on the islands. Thus he has to appear in the game photo that also captures the nature of the game. Terrific shot, by the way.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Did anybody think that Te'o looked small. There were several times he would stand next to Lacy or Yeldon and I thought there is no way he is 255 or whatever they list him at.

Teo is the face of their team, the picture somes up what happened in the game pretty well. The guy got a second place finish in the Heisman because of media love, he needs to learn to deal with the criticism if he is going to accept the media adulation.

Also did anyone else think that Te'o looked like swampthing at the Heisman?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I too think he simply had a bad game. He is an outstanding linebacker in my opinion and you won't find many finer young men.

As far as his Dad's rant I really think that Dad's should just stay out of this type of situation. Seems that nothing good ever comes out of it. I refer to situations with Craig James and the like.
    Manti is a big boy now. He probably didn't think anything about this. Now, of course, his Dad is going to bring all kind of publicity to the photo of him laying on the ground being "Bowled Over". He should have just kept his mouth shut in my opinion.

sip