Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Re: SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    Did anybody think that Te'o looked small. There were several times he would stand next to Lacy or Yeldon and I thought there is no way he is 255 or whatever they list him at.

Teo is the face of their team, the picture somes up what happened in the game pretty well. The guy got a second place finish in the Heisman because of media love, he needs to learn to deal with the criticism if he is going to accept the media adulation.

Also did anyone else think that Te'o looked like swampthing at the Heisman?
    Yes.
    RIP Hub

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    100+ tackles his sophomore-senior year.

His dad is an intense guy, but Manti and the Te'o's have brought an UNBELIEVABLE amount of scouts back to their native soil. Marcus Mariotta may not have gotten the amount of recruiting he did if it weren't for Manti, and he has said as such. Look at Savineiia (spelling?) this year. They have done so much for that community and for that paper, so I do see his point.

Then again, once you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you should be able to take the criticism.

Tell me again how many of those tackles came against Bama. If Te'o played for any other school he would not have received any run for the heisman.... My opinion he is the most overrated player ever... he is good, but still overrated.
    "I Ain't Never Been Nothing But A Winner" Coach Paul W. Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    Did anybody think that Te'o looked small. There were several times he would stand next to Lacy or Yeldon and I thought there is no way he is 255 or whatever they list him at.

Teo is the face of their team, the picture somes up what happened in the game pretty well. The guy got a second place finish in the Heisman because of media love, he needs to learn to deal with the criticism if he is going to accept the media adulation.

Also did anyone else think that Te'o looked like swampthing at the Heisman?

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

Truth is this - ND, along with Te'O - got run around, through and over during the entire game. Whatever the newspaper did in relationship with him up until the game should have had no bearing on what it covered after the game.
    What do you guys expect the paper to write? -- It wrote what happened, instead of acting like ND and Te'O put up some valiant effort and fight.
    Had ND won the game and the LB had a spectacular game, I'm quite sure the paper would have represented it that way. However, that didn't happen. The game wasn't competitive and Te'O played awful.
    The newspaper isn't obligated to make everything look all wonderful and roses when ND stunk it up. To me, his father and family need to suck it up - if the player wants to have any kind of NFL career, there are going to be critical articles and pages written all the time. It comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by u2bama View Post
    Tell me again how many of those tackles came against Bama. If Te'o played for any other school he would not have received any run for the heisman.... My opinion he is the most overrated player ever... he is good, but still overrated.
    He had ten tackles against Bama. But I don't see how that is relevant.

I agree, if it wasn't for him playing for ND, he may not have been in his "heisman" position.

BamaNation Second Team

He had ten tackles against Bama. But I don't see how that is relevant.

I agree, if it wasn't for him playing for ND, he may not have been in his "heisman" position.
    Correct, he was credited with 10 tackles, 3 of which were solo.... and you make my point none of his tackles were relevant. He did nothing to change the flow of the game.... except miss tackles to allow Alabama extend drives.
    "I Ain't Never Been Nothing But A Winner" Coach Paul W. Bryant.

3 solo (domers love those 7 "assists")

Correct, he was credited with 10 tackles, 3 of which were solo.... and you make my point none of his tackles were relevant. He did nothing to change the flow of the game.... except miss tackles to allow Alabama extend drives.
    You didn't say anything about them being relevant in your post, at all. But they weren't really relevant, you are right. We were getting smoked. But I mean they are in the books, I don't know what you want me to tell you. LOL, Notre Dame does not write the statistics down man.

It's moot point now. It didn't hurt his draft stock really, so I am glad for him. Dad's got to stay out of the picture at this point IMO, Manti is a big boy. If some team wastes their draft pick on him and he doesn't pan out, he will be getting much more flack, I'm sure.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

You didn't say anything about them being relevant in your post, at all. But they weren't really relevant, you are right. We were getting smoked. But I mean they are in the books, I don't know what you want me to tell you. LOL, Notre Dame does not write the statistics down man.

It's moot point now. It didn't hurt his draft stock really, so I am glad for him. Dad's got to stay out of the picture at this point IMO, Manti is a big boy. If some team wastes their draft pick on him and he doesn't pan out, he will be getting much more flack, I'm sure.
    Not playing in the Senior Bowl won't do him any favors, either. It's coming out now he's declined the invitation to play in that game.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Not playing in the Senior Bowl won't do him any favors, either. It's coming out now he's declined the invitation to play in that game.
    True. But really I thought the senior bowl was for guys who weren't already solidified in the draft, or who really needed to improve their stock. Manti is going in the top 20 no matter what. Risk of injury, IMO, outweighs moving up a couple of spots.

BamaNation First Team

True. But really I thought the senior bowl was for guys who weren't already solidified in the draft, or who really needed to improve their stock. Manti is going in the top 20 no matter what. Risk of injury, IMO, outweighs moving up a couple of spots.
    no way he goes that high. I remember another overrated ND player a few years back named Brady Quinn. He was projected in the top ten and slipped to a late first round pick. If you say he goes in the top 20 it's more like middle of the second round. I may be wrong but he just doesn't impress me. Not even close to Dont'a Hightower and he went to the patriots who had one of the late picks in the first round. And Courtney Upshaw went in the second round. Is he even big enough to be a backer in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by uofaJO1987 View Post
    no way he goes that high. I remember another overrated ND player a few years back named Brady Quinn. He was projected in the top ten and slipped to a late first round pick. If you say he goes in the top 20 it's more like middle of the second round. I may be wrong but he just doesn't impress me. Not even close to Dont'a Hightower and he went to the patriots who had one of the late picks in the first round. And Courtney Upshaw went in the second round. Is he even big enough to be a backer in the NFL?
    CBS has him at 9. Kiper has him at 6. McShay has him somewhere around 10-16 I think. Most have him healthily within the top 20, and his BCS performance is already priced in.

CBS has him at 9. Kiper has him at 6. McShay has him somewhere around 10-16 I think. Most have him healthily within the top 20, and his BCS performance is already priced in.
    I'll be looking to see where he's chosen. In a weird, backwards sort of way, the higher he's chosen, the more it becomes a greater tribute to the Bama OL. On almost every play, Jones was taking care of Nix alone, so MT was having to deal with some combination of Warmack, Steen and/or Fluker. As we say in the South, that's not an easy row to hoe...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus