Link: SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
I see his point. I don't remember manti being "bowled over" in the game. He was, however, exposed and blown by several times. The paper should fix their error!

u2bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2001
Gautier, MS, USA
Luckily for The Star.... they will never have another reason to run a story on the most overrated player in football this year. 2nd place in the Heisman, what a joke. He was schooled all night by Bama; although I will say when it comes to tackling air he proved to be the best ever.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Do they have sour grapes in Hawaii? Way to drag your son, who from all the mainland people have seen is a fairly respectable kid, down to the depths of crybaby.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Unfortunately the media isn't in the business of making genuine friendships and have no loyalties. When Mr. Te'o was giving out interviews, photo's and such (because his son was doing great). The media was more than likely his best friend. Mr. Te'o just didn't realize they didn't care on bit about his son, his "great story" and the like. They just wanted to sell newspapers. So, when his son got his jock strapped yanked down in front of the world and exposed for what he really was, which was an overrated LB. The media jumped on the other side of the fence and took advantage of the situation. Hence the photo.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Luckily for The Star.... they will never have another reason to run a story on the most overrated player in football this year. 2nd place in the Heisman, what a joke. He was schooled all night by Bama; although I will say when it comes to tackling air he proved to be the best ever.
100+ tackles his sophomore-senior year.

His dad is an intense guy, but Manti and the Te'o's have brought an UNBELIEVABLE amount of scouts back to their native soil. Marcus Mariotta may not have gotten the amount of recruiting he did if it weren't for Manti, and he has said as such. Look at Savineiia (spelling?) this year. They have done so much for that community and for that paper, so I do see his point.

Then again, once you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you should be able to take the criticism.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

His dad is an intense guy, but Manti and the Te'o's have brought an UNBELIEVABLE amount of scouts back to their native soil. Marcus Mariotta may not have gotten the amount of recruiting he did if it weren't for Manti, and he has said as such. Look at Savineiia (spelling?) this year. They have done so much for that community and for that paper, so I do see his point.

Then again, once you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you should be able to take the criticism.
They seem like a great family who do wonderful things for their community. But when it comes to stardom, you better have a ton of thick skin and have an understanding that everybody doesn't have pure motives.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I see his point. I don't remember manti being "bowled over" in the game. He was, however, exposed and blown by several times. The paper should fix their error!
What error? I guess the truth hurts. If you want the accolades when times are good you must expect to be slighted when things go wrong.

Last edited:

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
They seem like a great family who do wonderful things for their community. But when it comes to stardom, you better have a ton of thick skin and have an understanding that everybody doesn't have pure motives.
I agree. Manti played horribly in the NCG, and many people, including likely the author of that paper, were angry with his performance.

In the NFL they love you and hate you each and every week, and you have to be able to take it. Unless your Peyton Manning. Media loves you no matter what.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think the Tide fans got a bit of "T'eo fatigue" in the big build up, particularly when so little was being written about Mosely, who is probably really a better LB. That may explain why some of the Tide fans' evaluations may seem a bit harsh. I tend to think that MT is really a better player than showed on 1/9. The bad angles taken by a lot of the ND tacklers, which I attribute to have simply not having seen the kind of speed they were facing. A tackler has only a split second to make a decision and, if that angle is just slightly off, then a runner like a Lacy or Yeldon is either by you or you aren't going to get enough to overcome his strength. That said, some of the NFL scouts were already using the "phone booth" comment about MT. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the draft. He seems like a really nice kid. Hard to imagine his carrying Jones' suitcase for him when Barrett was on crutches...

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I think the Tide fans got a bit of "T'eo fatigue" in the big build up, particularly when so little was being written about Mosely, who is probably really a better LB. That may explain why some of the Tide fans' evaluations may seem a bit harsh. I tend to think that MT is really a better player than showed on 1/9. The bad angles taken by a lot of the ND tacklers, which I attribute to have simply not having seen the kind of speed they were facing. A tackler has only a split second to make a decision and, if that angle is just slightly off, then a runner like a Lacy or Yeldon is either by you or you aren't going to get enough to overcome his strength. That said, some of the NFL scouts were already using the "phone booth" comment about MT. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the draft. He seems like a really nice kid. Hard to imagine his carrying Jones' suitcase for him when Barrett was on crutches...
We had never seen the type of speed that you guys had. Zeke Motta's (our safety) name was called out too many times, and although he had some good plays, his bad angles and missed tackles were the product of an inability to play at that speed level.

Most often we never had to take those kinds of angles. Denard never got going, Leveon isn't that fast, and neither is Stefan Taylor.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The Pacific Islanders are very prideful people so I can understand how their family is upset by that front page depiction.

But Manti was so showered with all those awards, the Heisman candidacy, the publicity - you know with that UGLY defeat (and I mean UGLY! :eek2: ) he's going to fall farther than any other ND player, don't you think?

So in certain respects 'it goes with the territory' - 'what doesn't kill him makes him stronger' - choose your cliche'.

I have not read the article so it's hard to comment any further.

He'll have a chance to redeem his pride at the next level.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I agree. Manti played horribly in the NCG, and many people, including likely the author of that paper, were angry with his performance.

In the NFL they love you and hate you each and every week, and you have to be able to take it. Unless your Peyton Manning. Media loves you no matter what.
I think a lot of people walked away from that game with the impression Manti was vastly overrated, but more specifically, on the physical level. Which I'm not sure is true or not.

It appeared to me that he played slow due to being confused half the night. Though our offense may "appear" simple and boring. It is more complex than a lot of people think. I think he was confused and on a football field when you don't know what you're doing or where to be you play slow. I also don't think he was ready for the physical play of our entire team. You could tell on several plays that he wasn't used to the RB's giving him that much resistance. Lacy was slinging Notre Dame players off of him while still churning his legs forward.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Just to clarify, I think T'eo is a great player who had a bad game. It happens to everyone.
He

I agree. Saw a pro scout say he would be a great prospect; still top 15 pick. He flew through the line several times only to miss the tackle. says a lot about our backs, but he will adjust to pros. He has the talent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.