Link: SN: Father of Manti Te'o urges people to not read hometown newspaper

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I watched the game again Saturday nite for the 4th time. ESPN posted all the awards he won this year which was at least 6. This was close to halftime and we had controlled the entire game.

I would like to see a comparison of Mosley vs Teo based on the number of plays. If I recall Mosley had more or the same number of tackles . If anyone has that data it would be interesting too see.

I do not feel sorry for the kid in the least. He is going to play in the NFL , so if I were his dad he needs to buy some big girl Panties and shut up about the media

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
While I think Te'o is a good LB he is certainly not an elite LB. Looking at the list of awards he received many were as a result of his back story and the fact ND were playing a mostly weak schedule.
I watched quite a few of their games this season I watch Notre Dame because I love seeing them lose. He has a knack for the ball and is pretty good in coverage. He makes a lot of tackles because he is the best player in their back 7 and Nix can easily take on two against any o-line they played this year, other than us. Leaving him free to make plays.

Good but not elite. He wouldn't start for many SEC schools, though he would play

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Well, I suspect they were unable to find a photo of him doing something heroic. Meanwhile, daddy was not providing photos and interviews for the good of the paper but rather cashing in on his son's fame and living the life of a vicarious celebrity (no problem with his doing that but its true). I wonder if he collected all those articles and showed them to all the neighbors???

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Mr. Te'o is probably just a bit frustrated over his son's mediocre showing in the spotlight, but programs have to be very careful when you have parents that are a bit too involved in their children's lives. Some parents are supportive and want to do things the right way, like Cris Carter. Others, like Craig James, overindulge their overrated offspring and wreak havoc on a program. Yet others, like Juicy Locke, look to ride the coattails of their kids to better themselves.

As others have noted, if Mr. Te'o gets his panties in a wad over this, he's going to be in bad shape when Manti underperforms at some point in the NFL and the press drops the hammer.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think a lot of people walked away from that game with the impression Manti was vastly overrated, but more specifically, on the physical level. Which I'm not sure is true or not.

It appeared to me that he played slow due to being confused half the night. Though our offense may "appear" simple and boring. It is more complex than a lot of people think. I think he was confused and on a football field when you don't know what you're doing or where to be you play slow. I also don't think he was ready for the physical play of our entire team. You could tell on several plays that he wasn't used to the RB's giving him that much resistance. Lacy was slinging Notre Dame players off of him while still churning his legs forward.
I thought he was a good LB but not as good as the hype. He spent a lot of time on the awards circuit so he may have been hurt by that, although it didn't seem to affect Barrett Jones or Johnny Football.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
He is a good LB. Nothing more. He was the product of brilliant marketing by NBC and ESPN. Bama exposed not only him but his teamates as well.

Maybe his Daddy needs to do some sort of warrior dance or add another tat or just shut up.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
100+ tackles his sophomore-senior year.

His dad is an intense guy, but Manti and the Te'o's have brought an UNBELIEVABLE amount of scouts back to their native soil. Marcus Mariotta may not have gotten the amount of recruiting he did if it weren't for Manti, and he has said as such. Look at Savineiia (spelling?) this year. They have done so much for that community and for that paper, so I do see his point.

Then again, once you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you should be able to take the criticism.
Then you really should take off your clover leaf shaped, Irish green colored glasses.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Did anybody think that Te'o looked small. There were several times he would stand next to Lacy or Yeldon and I thought there is no way he is 255 or whatever they list him at.

Teo is the face of their team, the picture somes up what happened in the game pretty well. The guy got a second place finish in the Heisman because of media love, he needs to learn to deal with the criticism if he is going to accept the media adulation.

Also did anyone else think that Te'o looked like swampthing at the Heisman?
Yes.

u2bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2001
Gautier, MS, USA
100+ tackles his sophomore-senior year.

His dad is an intense guy, but Manti and the Te'o's have brought an UNBELIEVABLE amount of scouts back to their native soil. Marcus Mariotta may not have gotten the amount of recruiting he did if it weren't for Manti, and he has said as such. Look at Savineiia (spelling?) this year. They have done so much for that community and for that paper, so I do see his point.

Then again, once you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you should be able to take the criticism.

Tell me again how many of those tackles came against Bama. If Te'o played for any other school he would not have received any run for the heisman.... My opinion he is the most overrated player ever... he is good, but still overrated.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
Did anybody think that Te'o looked small. There were several times he would stand next to Lacy or Yeldon and I thought there is no way he is 255 or whatever they list him at.

Teo is the face of their team, the picture somes up what happened in the game pretty well. The guy got a second place finish in the Heisman because of media love, he needs to learn to deal with the criticism if he is going to accept the media adulation.

Also did anyone else think that Te'o looked like swampthing at the Heisman?

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Truth is this - ND, along with Te'O - got run around, through and over during the entire game. Whatever the newspaper did in relationship with him up until the game should have had no bearing on what it covered after the game.
What do you guys expect the paper to write? -- It wrote what happened, instead of acting like ND and Te'O put up some valiant effort and fight.
Had ND won the game and the LB had a spectacular game, I'm quite sure the paper would have represented it that way. However, that didn't happen. The game wasn't competitive and Te'O played awful.
The newspaper isn't obligated to make everything look all wonderful and roses when ND stunk it up. To me, his father and family need to suck it up - if the player wants to have any kind of NFL career, there are going to be critical articles and pages written all the time. It comes with the territory.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Tell me again how many of those tackles came against Bama. If Te'o played for any other school he would not have received any run for the heisman.... My opinion he is the most overrated player ever... he is good, but still overrated.
He had ten tackles against Bama. But I don't see how that is relevant.

I agree, if it wasn't for him playing for ND, he may not have been in his "heisman" position.

u2bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2001
Gautier, MS, USA
He had ten tackles against Bama. But I don't see how that is relevant.

I agree, if it wasn't for him playing for ND, he may not have been in his "heisman" position.
Correct, he was credited with 10 tackles, 3 of which were solo.... and you make my point none of his tackles were relevant. He did nothing to change the flow of the game.... except miss tackles to allow Alabama extend drives.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
3 solo :p (domers love those 7 "assists")

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Correct, he was credited with 10 tackles, 3 of which were solo.... and you make my point none of his tackles were relevant. He did nothing to change the flow of the game.... except miss tackles to allow Alabama extend drives.
You didn't say anything about them being relevant in your post, at all. But they weren't really relevant, you are right. We were getting smoked. But I mean they are in the books, I don't know what you want me to tell you. LOL, Notre Dame does not write the statistics down man.

It's moot point now. It didn't hurt his draft stock really, so I am glad for him. Dad's got to stay out of the picture at this point IMO, Manti is a big boy. If some team wastes their draft pick on him and he doesn't pan out, he will be getting much more flack, I'm sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.