Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: Virginia Tech hires Scott Loeffler as Offensive Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i'm not really a tech fan, but he basically is virginia tech football. 20 years ago they were awful (and pretty much always had been)...like losing to VMI bad. they've been to 20 straight bowl games under beamer and last season notwithstanding, they're a consistent top 25 caliber program (which ain't saying all that but it's a lot better than what they used to be).

i believe beamer's the winningest active d1a coach right now. he's not a legendary coach by any means, but he's good.
    Agree with all. VMI used to be a Homecoming patsy...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i'm not really a tech fan, but he basically is virginia tech football. 20 years ago they were awful (and pretty much always had been)...like losing to VMI bad. they've been to 20 straight bowl games under beamer and last season notwithstanding, they're a consistent top 25 caliber program (which ain't saying all that but it's a lot better than what they used to be).

i believe beamer's the winningest active d1a coach right now. he's not a legendary coach by any means, but he's good.
    You'd have to watch the downward spiral that is Tech football to understand. I remember the 4-8 Hokie teams of years gone by. The last few years, each season has been worse than the previous one, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Brian Stinespring does not seem to have what it takes to put an offense together. Coach Beamer does not seem to have the ability to let a failing OC go, at least not until today. Like Cutcliff at Ole Miss and Shula & Bob Connelly, sometimes the head coach's loyalty has to be to the school/program, not the under-performing coaching staff member.
    I don't know if the PTB in Blacksburg told Beamer that Stiney & co. had to go or CFB decided to do this on his own, but this has been a long time coming, and I believe the Hokies will be better for having made this change, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that changing the coaching staff is possible when called for.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar

Ted Roof showed at PSU this year that he could do more than with the Chiz. I imagine this will probably be the same story.

Poor guy, he has to prepare for the Bama D in 2 consecutive games.

My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Scott Loeffler was considered a good coach before Auburn.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I don't think he was a bust at Auburn because he is a bad coach. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Va Tech's offense improves next season - they can't get much worse than they were this year.

However, this hire won't make a difference for them in their game against us.

Since playcalling is part of coaching I have to disagree. Granted, I only watched 3 of their games last year but that was some of the worst playcalling I've seen.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just maybe Loeffler can do for VT what he did for Auburn.
    Guess now we will find out if the Offensive problems at Auburn was Scott or Cheeze-whiz.

* We find out our first game.

VT had problems this year. Is Loeffler their answer?

Suspended
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Reason number 4,581 why Beamer needs to retire before he becomes Bobby Bowden version III...

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TidePride50 View Post
    I don't think he's a bad OC. He was handcuffed by Chiz and by having spread athletes running a pro style offense. Not to mention not even an average QB on the roster.
    he is a bad oc.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Tech board is so happy . . . they've hired a new offensive coordinator and their quarterback is coming back next year. Bring on Bama they say! I hope the beat down seven months from now is of ND proportions!

I think this increases Bama's margin of victory in next year's game by at least a touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTide57 View Post
    Tech board is so happy . . . they've hired a new offensive coordinator and their quarterback is coming back next year. Bring on Bama they say! I hope the beat down seven months from now is of ND proportions!
    What's funny is that they would very likely be better off with their 2nd string quarterback and almost any other OC.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    They haven't cared about offense for years.
    Heck, at times, I'm not sure Coach Beamer cares about football too much...
    Beamer's idea of a great game is a 2-0 score. Can't figure out what his problem with scoring points is.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan