Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Texas A&M tells Johnny Manziel to grow up.

I like the kid. I hope he gets and stays on the straight path, and I wish him all the best except when he plays us of course.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well, he has been acting a lot like a freshman....

I wonder if they could reprimand him strongly enough to get him mad and threaten to transfer...

granted that would be a childish reaction, but you never know for sure what somebody might do.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Johnny Manziel is now a victim of his own success.
    Johnny will be in a 'Fishbowl' the rest of his college days. Everybody is watching him.
    Lots will watch in a game of 'Gotcha'.
    This is acceptable on the football field, but off the field there will be police, other students,
    and media types who will watch everything he does or says.
    There are a surprising number of people who would like nothing better than to bring down
    'Johnny Football'/'Johnny Heisman'.
    Some people have always thought they looked taller, by belittling other people.

Don't you have to do something for others to be able to bring you down..... Tim Tebow and Mark Ingram won the Heisman in the same time period as little Johnnie Heisman (they were not redshirted); never heard about these type of issues with them. Johnnie as well as everyone else should carry themselves the way they choose; however, you are not going to be held to higher standard if you are not going to live to a higher standard. Johnnie has currently chosen to not live to a higher standard, go have fun, if thats what you call it.... but blasting a picture of you with a wad of 100s gives people justification to raise questions when you are the "Star" qb at Texas A&M or a punk recruit from poduct high school who just signed with the college of his choice.
    "I Ain't Never Been Nothing But A Winner" Coach Paul W. Bryant.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Not everybody has to be a role model. Should he, yes. I don't care what he does but I can certainly see why A&M does. CNS always preaches about representing your institution in a first class way on and off the field. This is what they are trying to convey. Success always brings the bloodsuckers out too, and you have to protect yourself (and in his case, his brand) against that. With all the tragedy recently you would think it wouldn't be too hard to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway59 View Post
    Certainly understand you statements. But with someone of his public stature now, they will be everywhere......
    Almost every phone now has a camera, there's no getting away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    I wonder if they could reprimand him strongly enough to get him mad and threaten to transfer...

granted that would be a childish reaction, but you never know for sure what somebody might do.
    No because then he would transfer to Oregon and they would average infinity points per game!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica4Bama View Post
    I like the kid. I hope he gets and stays on the straight path, and I wish him all the best except when he plays us of course.
    I could hook you up...PM me if ya interested!

Setting rules and limits are fine, but putting too much pressure on a kid can have adverse effects too (we all the preacher's kids that were good on Sunday, but partied harder and crazier on Saturday night).

If he's working hard when he's supposed to be working, he'll be fine. These are not "thug" actions, they're college behavior actions.

He needs to be aware of what the potential financial repercussions at the next level could be though. A damaged reputation as a partier or not a hard worker could cost him a couple million off his rookie contact.

Well, like it or not he will be the face of aTm football for eons as the only/first freshman to win the Heisman. Much like us and AJ now leading the QB Alabama conversation whether we like it or not.

BamaNation First Team

I've always believed everyone is free to do what they want as long as they're willing to accept the consequences. Do something really stupid and see how long you keep your job. Even if you're self employed your customers can fire you. JF needs to understand that and hopefully he will.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Ingram was 19, he handled it pretty well, so I don't buy the he's young thing. If you're a college athlete and dumb enough to get a picture taken of you with fanned out hundred dollar bills, you're a complete moron.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.