News Article: Scabs on early signing...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm pretty sure that he didn't know that Saban has supported early signing for a long time. IN fact, it would help Bama more than hurt...

LINK

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The writer assumes that these players would have signed early with Auburn. If this option is available I suspect that only two types of athletes will sign - those who have offers from a program that they love (lifetime fans), and those who feel lucky to get the offers that they have in front of them. The best of the best will still wait.

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Last edited:

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
I'm pretty sure that he didn't know that Saban has supported early signing for a long time. IN fact, it would help Bama more than hurt...

LINK
Kevin seems to imply that we are practitioners of the Richtian recruiting method: wait to the last moment and cherry-pick the best of the best. I don't think he realizes how much hard work goes into our recruiting and how committed CNS is to it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I feel that is the biggest fallacy in his logic. First, "commitments" don't exist in regards to the NCAA...so it's not like the NCAA can make a "commit" sign with "their school" on an early signing date. Second, an early signing period is optional so a player could return an unsigned LOI to the institution and request more time until the NCAA "drop dead date" for the next school year (which is in April I believe). Ultimately all this will do is weed out solid commitments from soft commitments.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
he should be careful what he wishes for... I think an early signing period helps us defending some of the negative recruiting

LINK

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another thought - the writer seems to imply that an early signing period would hurt programs like Alabama. I see it the other way - since many players will feel "lucky" to have offers from programs like Alabama, they will be more likely to want to lock that in than wait and hope there is room in the class.

However, it will cause programs like Alabama to be very careful when making "committable" offers. With an early signing period and too many committable offers out there, you could get hurt.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The writer assumes that these players would have signed early with Auburn. If this option is available I suspect that only two types of athletes will sign - those who have offers from a program that they love (lifetime fans), and those who feel lucky to get the offers that they have in front of them. The best of the best will still wait.
This is the way I see it also. His whole underlying assumption that this will help AU more than hurt them is amusing. He's assuming the permanent underdog position for them...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It would definitely change the gameplan for offer sheets but I have no doubt that Saban will adjust and have a solid plan.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It would definitely change the gameplan for offer sheets but I have no doubt that Saban will adjust and have a solid plan.
He's mentioned a couple of times in the past that an early signing option would have the effect of removing the laborious chore of "babysitting" highly-rated recruits all the way to NSD to prevent their getting poached by negative recruiting or, as has happened in the recent past, enticing recruits into compromising positions in order to extort commitments from them. It would allow him to "salt away" the ones inclined to pull the trigger and concentrate all his efforts on the holdouts...

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
Article summary: Alabama is dominating under rules that apply fairly to all. Ergo, change said rules and see if something different happens.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yeah, considering how good Saban is at recruiting, it's hard to imagine this would hurt him. We're seeing Saban do this, with all the factors working against him. Signing guys earlier would only make his job easier, but... there are a couple things. This could just push back the entire process further, and it is further complicated by the SEC's 25 signing limit right? You get a kid to sign early and he turns out not to make grades, that's an issue since it counts even if he can't play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With CNS's evaluation skills he could sign 'em in 8th grade and still beat most coaches that wait till high school to start offering.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
So am I reading this right? There should be an early signing period so Auburn can trap recruits before they have time to realize the horrible mistake they've made?

Scabs is and has always been so blatantly an AU mouthpiece that I never take anything he says as any more than just the AU talking points.

Just like this gem of an article:
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/scarbinsky_perfect_timing_make.html
he's definitly reaching to write a story there...but if thats his best shot at how to slow Saban down, there aint much anyone can do!

Like B1Gtide said; The only ones that would commit early are those that are lifelong fans or have no other offers...I see it changing absolutely nothing as far as Sabans recruiting in a negative way...

CrimsonCarl

1st Team
Jun 16, 2010
Birmingham
So am I reading this right? There should be an early signing period so Auburn can trap recruits before they have time to realize the horrible mistake they've made?
I can hear it now - "come down to auburn during the early signing period, preferably without your parents"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can hear it now - "come down to auburn during the early signing period, preferably without your parents"
Last year, one poster on ITAT made a shocking admission to the effect that it was obvious that they were attempting to go around (anti-AU) parents to reach the kids directly. He then launched into a defense of the practice. Later, when I went back to look at it again their staff had removed it - for obvious reasons...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thinking about Tenpenny's statements to the effect that he wished he could sign now and get it over with, I think that he's the kind of guy Saban was thinking of when he made his statement about not having to "babysit." AT's commitment we will have to sweat all the way to NSD, no matter how firm it seems to be...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Article summary: Alabama is dominating under rules that apply fairly to all. Ergo, change said rules and see if something different happens.
+1 million. If you can't win under the present rules, change the rules. I can't imagine anything more insulting to *U fans than a column saying "you can't compete at this game, so you better hope it changes."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.