Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    I know Dee is a great player, but what makes him a top 5?

I am just wondering because I do not follow all of that and didn't know he would be drafted so high. (I knew he was first round).
    I think he has the potential to be a shut down corner. I DESPERATELY want him to go to my Lions. I'd rather have him than Jarvis.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyIrish View Post
    Haha I don't know what a "barner" avatar is, but it doesn't sound good!

I agree that he's not a top 10 pick. Before the title game I thought he was. And with above poster, I imagine the hype and drowning of Manti through the media, not being an ND fan, would be sickening. I'm sure that comes into consideration, at least when looking at the draft board.
    "Barner" = Auburn. We consider that the worse punishment outside of suspension on this board.

BamaNation First Team bamatex82's Avatar

Nothing wrong in how you stated your viewpoint, FriendlyIrish. No worries about the mods IMHO. Your were rational and made some good points. Nothing wrong with that around here.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

A couple of things...

Why is Dee top five someone asked?

He has great size, really good speed, and amazing range. What moves him ahead of every other corner (like Banks) is that he is physical enough to jam big receivers and is phenomenal in run support.

Jarvis Jones, if he lands in Detroit, won't play lb (they run 4-3 not 3-4). He'd play weak side defensive end. Think of their d line then. Jones on weak side, Vandenbosch on strong, with Suh and Fairley in the middle. That's a nightmare...

TEO - he is first round talent easily. Don't judge just from the bcsncg, as he had his worst game. He plays smart, and covers well. He's not as physical as a lot of LB's, but he is more athletic. His immeasurable qualities are off the charts too. I'd take him in the 10-20 range.

Also on Kiper's board, he has Fluker going in rd 1. I don't think Lacy will, unless his combine is amazing. Then I would look for him in the 20-25 range..
    Last edited by Matt0424; January 16th, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't understand...the guy had one bad game, literally, in like three years at Notre Dame.

Were people saying these things about Luke Kuechly after he played against horrible competition for years at BC?? No. And Manti is known to be just as good a tackler as Luke, but actually better in pass coverage. I'm not sure that anyone here is an NFL scout.

Most scouts with years of NFL knowledge say that the awards circuit took a lot out of Manti, plus getting a serious bout with the flu the week after he came back. When you train insanely hard for 6 months and then have to work out in hotel gyms for 8 days in a row, then get the flu, it is going to have some short-term effects.

And give 'bama some credit!! Your offense knew our formations, and, according to Barrett, knew what matchups they would face when we would shift. His lack of solid lay was a product of our entire D's inability to stop you. Manti won't go that high, but he is a first rounder: my sources are NFL scouts. I'm just not understanding the hate on the kid. Obviously I am biased; feel free to rip me apart.

This is the most outspoken I have ever been on this board, but I really like it here, so hopefully this doesn't ruin any kind of reputation of respectability that I may ​have established here.
    I can't disagree with any of this. Personally (and I am sure to be in the minority on this opinion around here) I think he has developed into as good a linebacker as anyone in the draft, and yes that includes Jarvis Jones. However, having 'that one bad game' on the biggest stage of his career so far will cause him to take a serious hit. I am not sure that anyone was saying anything other than that.

If he goes into the combine and shows decent speed numbers I think it would go a long way toward erasing the showing in the game. If he doesn't it may reinforce the perception and I could easily see him dropping out of the first round. Those NFL guys are pretty fickle.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    A couple of things...

Why is Dee top five someone asked?

He has great size, really good speed, and amazing range. What moves him ahead of every other corner (like Banks) is that he is physical enough to jam big receivers and is phenomenal in run support.

Jarvis Jones, if he lands in Detroit, won't play lb (they run 4-3 not 3-4). He'd play weak side defensive end. Think of their d line then. Jones on weak side, Vandenbosch on strong, with Suh and Fairley in the middle. That's a nightmare...

Two - he is first round talent easily. Don't judge just from the bcsncg, as he had his worst game. He plays smart, and covers well. He's not as physical as a lot of LB's, but he is more athletic. His immeasurable qualities are off the charts too. I'd take him in the 10-20 range.

Also on Kiper's board, he has Fluker going in rd 1. I don't think Lacy will, unless his combine is amazing. Then I would look for him in the 20-25 range..
    This is a good point. I never thought about this. It could cause nightmares, but Lions have had serious problems with coverage in the middle. The current ILB's haven't got the job done - Tulloch/Durant/Levy haven't gotten the job done in pass coverage AT ALL. But with Suh taking up two blockers, Jarvis could have a field day if he plays to his potential.

IMO Dee is way more physical than Banks and can start right away.

Aren't Teo's INT stats a little inflated? I remember hearing that he had an inordinately high number of INTs off of balls other people tipped. I'm not sure that is a very meaningful stat.

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

BTW, two should have read TEO... fixed it

I don't understand...the guy had one bad game, literally, in like three years at Notre Dame.

Were people saying these things about Luke Kuechly after he played against horrible competition for years at BC?? No. And Manti is known to be just as good a tackler as Luke, but actually better in pass coverage. I'm not sure that anyone here is an NFL scout.

Most scouts with years of NFL knowledge say that the awards circuit took a lot out of Manti, plus getting a serious bout with the flu the week after he came back. When you train insanely hard for 6 months and then have to work out in hotel gyms for 8 days in a row, then get the flu, it is going to have some short-term effects.

And give 'bama some credit!! Your offense knew our formations, and, according to Barrett, knew what matchups they would face when we would shift. His lack of solid lay was a product of our entire D's inability to stop you. Manti won't go that high, but he is a first rounder: my sources are NFL scouts. I'm just not understanding the hate on the kid. Obviously I am biased; feel free to rip me apart.

This is the most outspoken I have ever been on this board, but I really like it here, so hopefully this doesn't ruin any kind of reputation of respectability that I may ​have established here.
    I think I've commented before that the "hate" (not the right word) on MT was a direct result of the press love he (and the entire ND team) got in the buildup to the game. I don't talk to NFL scouts, but I do a lot of reading of predictions (not by people like Kiper). I wouldn't be surprised to see that his draft status hold up or to see that he's had a major drop. As several have said, I think it depends on the combine and his measurables...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Read he declined to participate in the Senior Bowl

BamaNation Second Team Bama Czar's Avatar

Same Mel Kiper that said Bama had "no answer at WR" after DeAndrew White got hurt, right...........??

The day I start getting my NFL Draft predictions from a guy who looks like he just got done shooting his Glamour Shots is the day I will start listening to Kiper!

BamaNation All-SEC

170 posts and counting; and always respectful and make solid points....youve developed a lot of goodwill, IMO.