Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The day I start getting my NFL Draft predictions from a guy who looks like he just got done shooting his Glamour Shots is the day I will start listening to Kiper!

in fairness, almost all draft boards show Teo in the 1st round. His bad game against us probably dropped him down on some draft boards, but I cant see him dropping out of the 1st based on 1 game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You guys are really unfair to Kiper. He just states his opinions on things. The whole White thing is WAY over blown. As for his draft knowledge, he does a good job at prognostication. He is right more often than wrong.
I think he is by far and away the best in the business as far as analyzing draft talent with no close second. Also, if you've ever listened to Dary and Mel on ESPN weekend radio it's one of the best shows out there. Mel is pretty darn entertaining.
I really have no problem at all with Mel. Sure he blows a couple of predictions but who in the heck in the media doesn't?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If there was ever a perfect definition of a hack Kiper would be way up there. Craig James wouldn't be far behind.

The most hilarious draft I ever saw was when Brady Quinn kept waiting pick after pick and Mel was having a conniption fit on live tv. It was clear just about every GM had fed Mel misinformation about their pick. Mel was just their tool that night. It was classic.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
If there was ever a perfect definition of a hack Kiper would be way up there. Craig James wouldn't be far behind.

The most hilarious draft I ever saw was when Brady Quinn kept waiting pick after pick and Mel was having a conniption fit on live tv. It was clear just about every GM had fed Mel misinformation about their pick. Mel was just their tool that night. It was classic.
I also remember him almost blowing his top when Tim Tebow got picked before Jimmy Clausen. (What is it about Kiper and Notre Dame players?)

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I think Kiper's goofy, but he has a pretty sweet gig. I like it when he and McShay get into slap-fights.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
...and with the Jets needing some big time help offensively (yeah, defensively, too, but offense was beyond horrible), why would they draft a defensive player with the first pick? Mingo is top shelf, no doubt...but they need help on O, and if their first pic is not an offensive player (or they trade for some), IMO their draft is in trouble.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
His fake GF may do him more damage...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...rlfriend-nfl-draft.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

NFL draft consultant Gil Brandt believes the uncertainty surrounding Manti Te'o could affect when he is selected in April by a team.

Brandt called the story that Notre Dame's All-American linebacker was involved in a hoax "something I have never witnessed" in his half-century in pro football.

"I think some teams will say it isn't worth the problem" to draft Te'o, said Brandt, who has the linebacker rated 19th overall in the first round.

The former Dallas Cowboys general manager added Thursday that Te'o's stock had plummeted after a poor performance in the BCS championship game. Now, Te'o could fall further.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I really have no problem at all with Mel. Sure he blows a couple of predictions but who in the heck in the media doesn't?
NFL Scouts themselves miss on a lot of prospects. It's easy for us fans to knock a pro who misses on his predictions.
But, the reason I actually like Mel is because he does his homework. For all the flak that we fans give sports media for not doing their homework, Mel is known to go into draft day coverage without notes. And, he can speak intelligently about every single player who gets drafted, and many who don't. Meanwhile, we have commentators call our games who don't even know our players' names.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
NFL Scouts themselves miss on a lot of prospects. It's easy for us fans to knock a pro who misses on his predictions.
But, the reason I actually like Mel is because he does his homework. For all the flak that we fans give sports media for not doing their homework, Mel is known to go into draft day coverage without notes. And, he can speak intelligently about every single player who gets drafted, and many who don't. Meanwhile, we have commentators call our games who don't even know our players' names.
Yeah, he really does his homework - "Without DeAndre White, Alabama has no answer..."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You're absolutely right! I agree 100%...good points

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yeah, he really does his homework - "Without DeAndre White, Alabama has no answer..."
Earle, the one thing I have noticed about Kiper that I feel is a flaw is that he tends to pick college games and make his season predictions based on how many NFL caliber players a team has. I think he considered Deandre, with his speed, to be a sure fire NFL receiver one day and when he went down Cooper had been injured and hadn't played much or really contributed yet and thus hadn't "shown his stuff". I think that's why he made that statement. I'll admit though, he was badly badly mistaken on that one.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, the one thing I have noticed about Kiper that I feel is a flaw is that he tends to pick college games and make his season predictions based on how many NFL caliber players a team has. I think he considered Deandre, with his speed, to be a sure fire NFL receiver one day and when he went down Cooper had been injured and hadn't played much or really contributed yet and thus hadn't "shown his stuff". I think that's why he made that statement. I'll admit though, he was badly badly mistaken on that one.
I read it differently. My take was that he hadn't a clue about our receiver depth or where they'd ranked coming out of HS. Not having done his homework, it was easy to assume that, particularly if he were uninformed about Norwood's and Bell's (healthy at the time) work last year. Nevertheless, he pontificated - and looked stupid...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I read it differently. My take was that he hadn't a clue about our receiver depth or where they'd ranked coming out of HS. Not having done his homework, it was easy to assume that, particularly if he were uninformed about Norwood's and Bell's (healthy at the time) work last year. Nevertheless, he pontificated - and looked stupid...
I think that you are both right - His focus when examining teams is on draft eligible players. He has little to no knowledge of players that are not yet draft eligible. Well, Alabama has a ton of talented players that contribute in every game that are not draft eligible - stars that are completely off of his radar.

Kiper is an NFL guy and really doesn't pay enough attention to the college game to be usefull as a college analyst, IMO.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that you are both right - His focus when examining teams is on draft eligible players. He has little to no knowledge of players that are not yet draft eligible. Well, Alabama has a ton of talented players that contribute in every game that are not draft eligible - stars that are completely off of his radar.

Kiper is an NFL guy and really doesn't pay enough attention to the college game to be usefull as a college analyst, IMO.
Totally agree. He really should just stay out of the college analyst game, unless he's going to do the homework necessary to do the job correctly. BTW, this is not his first howler. I've been following his college comments for years now, strictly for laughs...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Agree with the last few posts....Kiper is the best in the biz when it comes to breaking down the draft; and he should stick to that. Leave the college game alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I remember in 2008 when Kiper was arguing that Penn State was better than Bama "personnel wise." This was when PSU was playing Paterno ball and winning 10-3 while Bama was beating the tar out of everyone they played.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.