Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 65 of 65
  1. #53
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,656
    Recipes
    1

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    NFL Scouts themselves miss on a lot of prospects. It's easy for us fans to knock a pro who misses on his predictions.
    But, the reason I actually like Mel is because he does his homework. For all the flak that we fans give sports media for not doing their homework, Mel is known to go into draft day coverage without notes. And, he can speak intelligently about every single player who gets drafted, and many who don't. Meanwhile, we have commentators call our games who don't even know our players' names.
    Yeah, he really does his homework - "Without DeAndre White, Alabama has no answer..."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,992
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanish View Post
    NFL Scouts themselves miss on a lot of prospects. It's easy for us fans to knock a pro who misses on his predictions.
    But, the reason I actually like Mel is because he does his homework. For all the flak that we fans give sports media for not doing their homework, Mel is known to go into draft day coverage without notes. And, he can speak intelligently about every single player who gets drafted, and many who don't. Meanwhile, we have commentators call our games who don't even know our players' names.
    You're absolutely right! I agree 100%...good points

  4. #55
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,992
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Yeah, he really does his homework - "Without DeAndre White, Alabama has no answer..."
    Earle, the one thing I have noticed about Kiper that I feel is a flaw is that he tends to pick college games and make his season predictions based on how many NFL caliber players a team has. I think he considered Deandre, with his speed, to be a sure fire NFL receiver one day and when he went down Cooper had been injured and hadn't played much or really contributed yet and thus hadn't "shown his stuff". I think that's why he made that statement. I'll admit though, he was badly badly mistaken on that one.

  5. #56
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,656

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Earle, the one thing I have noticed about Kiper that I feel is a flaw is that he tends to pick college games and make his season predictions based on how many NFL caliber players a team has. I think he considered Deandre, with his speed, to be a sure fire NFL receiver one day and when he went down Cooper had been injured and hadn't played much or really contributed yet and thus hadn't "shown his stuff". I think that's why he made that statement. I'll admit though, he was badly badly mistaken on that one.
    I read it differently. My take was that he hadn't a clue about our receiver depth or where they'd ranked coming out of HS. Not having done his homework, it was easy to assume that, particularly if he were uninformed about Norwood's and Bell's (healthy at the time) work last year. Nevertheless, he pontificated - and looked stupid...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  6. #57

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I read it differently. My take was that he hadn't a clue about our receiver depth or where they'd ranked coming out of HS. Not having done his homework, it was easy to assume that, particularly if he were uninformed about Norwood's and Bell's (healthy at the time) work last year. Nevertheless, he pontificated - and looked stupid...
    I think that you are both right - His focus when examining teams is on draft eligible players. He has little to no knowledge of players that are not yet draft eligible. Well, Alabama has a ton of talented players that contribute in every game that are not draft eligible - stars that are completely off of his radar.

    Kiper is an NFL guy and really doesn't pay enough attention to the college game to be usefull as a college analyst, IMO.

  7. #58
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    43,656

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that you are both right - His focus when examining teams is on draft eligible players. He has little to no knowledge of players that are not yet draft eligible. Well, Alabama has a ton of talented players that contribute in every game that are not draft eligible - stars that are completely off of his radar.

    Kiper is an NFL guy and really doesn't pay enough attention to the college game to be usefull as a college analyst, IMO.
    Totally agree. He really should just stay out of the college analyst game, unless he's going to do the homework necessary to do the job correctly. BTW, this is not his first howler. I've been following his college comments for years now, strictly for laughs...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  8. #59
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Spring Hill, TN
    Posts
    19,440
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Agree with the last few posts....Kiper is the best in the biz when it comes to breaking down the draft; and he should stick to that. Leave the college game alone.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #60
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    4,114

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    I remember in 2008 when Kiper was arguing that Penn State was better than Bama "personnel wise." This was when PSU was playing Paterno ball and winning 10-3 while Bama was beating the tar out of everyone they played.

  10. #61
    BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Posts
    1,246
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    I don't know about others, but my opinion of his draft position is based off of the title game. It's obviously the exception to his season because no player "lucks" into having his career stats. What I thought going into the game was that Te'o was tremendous in pass coverage (his INT total is sick), but I wondered how he would do against our running game. I think he's a first rounder, but not a top 10 guy. I see him like CJ Mosley; he can play the pass well, is very intelligent, and has no character issues, but has problems with the more physical running teams. That'll hurt CJ in next year's draft too.

    I think you're still going to be in good standing with the mods. They may just give you a barner avatar for a bit
    What a difference a day makes, huh?
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

  11. #62

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Yeah, he really does his homework - "Without DeAndre White, Alabama has no answer..."
    He is an idiot when it comes to analyzing CFB. No argument there.

  12. #63

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    It certainly shows just the level of talent A&M is losing on both lines of scrimmage (even just from losing those two players)
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

  13. #64
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    8,218
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Wasn't it Kiper that said Andre Ware would go down as the greatest NFL QB ever?
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

  14. #65
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,270
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

    Re: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Wasn't it Kiper that said Andre Ware would go down as the greatest NFL QB ever?
    I don't remember...but he does make outlandish claims like this to try and brighten his "star", and it usually comes back on him in a, uh, dust storm.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!