Mel Kiper's Mock Draft Top 10

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't understand...the guy had one bad game, literally, in like three years at Notre Dame.

Were people saying these things about Luke Kuechly after he played against horrible competition for years at BC?? No. And Manti is known to be just as good a tackler as Luke, but actually better in pass coverage. I'm not sure that anyone here is an NFL scout.

Most scouts with years of NFL knowledge say that the awards circuit took a lot out of Manti, plus getting a serious bout with the flu the week after he came back. When you train insanely hard for 6 months and then have to work out in hotel gyms for 8 days in a row, then get the flu, it is going to have some short-term effects.

And give 'bama some credit!! Your offense knew our formations, and, according to Barrett, knew what matchups they would face when we would shift. His lack of solid lay was a product of our entire D's inability to stop you. Manti won't go that high, but he is a first rounder: my sources are NFL scouts. I'm just not understanding the hate on the kid. Obviously I am biased; feel free to rip me apart.

This is the most outspoken I have ever been on this board, but I really like it here, so hopefully this doesn't ruin any kind of reputation of respectability that I may ​have established here.
I don't know about others, but my opinion of his draft position is based off of the title game. It's obviously the exception to his season because no player "lucks" into having his career stats. What I thought going into the game was that Te'o was tremendous in pass coverage (his INT total is sick), but I wondered how he would do against our running game. I think he's a first rounder, but not a top 10 guy. I see him like CJ Mosley; he can play the pass well, is very intelligent, and has no character issues, but has problems with the more physical running teams. That'll hurt CJ in next year's draft too.

I think you're still going to be in good standing with the mods. They may just give you a barner avatar for a bit :)

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Honestly, I think it stems from the build up to the game and the non stop talk about the front seven, led by MT and how they were SEC quality and MT being a Heisman runner up and the next coming up Dick Butkus. I am sure it played the other way to yall regarding our O line etc etc. I think him looking rather pedestrian against us, plus MT fatigue, has led to a devaluation of his status as one of the top line backers in the nation.
The difference is, our O line played up to and surpassed their expectation. I can not say the same for MT...

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I don't know about others, but my opinion of his draft position is based off of the title game. It's obviously the exception to his season because no player "lucks" into having his career stats. What I thought going into the game was that Te'o was tremendous in pass coverage (his INT total is sick), but I wondered how he would do against our running game. I think he's a first rounder, but not a top 10 guy. I see him like CJ Mosley; he can play the pass well, is very intelligent, and has no character issues, but has problems with the more physical running teams. That'll hurt CJ in next year's draft too.

I think you're still going to be in good standing with the mods. They may just give you a barner avatar for a bit :)
Haha I don't know what a "barner" avatar is, but it doesn't sound good!

I agree that he's not a top 10 pick. Before the title game I thought he was. And with above poster, I imagine the hype and drowning of Manti through the media, not being an ND fan, would be sickening. I'm sure that comes into consideration, at least when looking at the draft board.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I know Dee is a great player, but what makes him a top 5?

I am just wondering because I do not follow all of that and didn't know he would be drafted so high. (I knew he was first round).

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
I know Dee is a great player, but what makes him a top 5?

I am just wondering because I do not follow all of that and didn't know he would be drafted so high. (I knew he was first round).
I think he has the potential to be a shut down corner. I DESPERATELY want him to go to my Lions. I'd rather have him than Jarvis.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Haha I don't know what a "barner" avatar is, but it doesn't sound good!

I agree that he's not a top 10 pick. Before the title game I thought he was. And with above poster, I imagine the hype and drowning of Manti through the media, not being an ND fan, would be sickening. I'm sure that comes into consideration, at least when looking at the draft board.
"Barner" = Auburn. We consider that the worse punishment outside of suspension on this board.;)

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Nothing wrong in how you stated your viewpoint, FriendlyIrish. No worries about the mods IMHO. Your were rational and made some good points. Nothing wrong with that around here.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
A couple of things...

Why is Dee top five someone asked?

He has great size, really good speed, and amazing range. What moves him ahead of every other corner (like Banks) is that he is physical enough to jam big receivers and is phenomenal in run support.

Jarvis Jones, if he lands in Detroit, won't play lb (they run 4-3 not 3-4). He'd play weak side defensive end. Think of their d line then. Jones on weak side, Vandenbosch on strong, with Suh and Fairley in the middle. That's a nightmare...

TEO - he is first round talent easily. Don't judge just from the bcsncg, as he had his worst game. He plays smart, and covers well. He's not as physical as a lot of LB's, but he is more athletic. His immeasurable qualities are off the charts too. I'd take him in the 10-20 range.

Also on Kiper's board, he has Fluker going in rd 1. I don't think Lacy will, unless his combine is amazing. Then I would look for him in the 20-25 range..

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I don't understand...the guy had one bad game, literally, in like three years at Notre Dame.

Were people saying these things about Luke Kuechly after he played against horrible competition for years at BC?? No. And Manti is known to be just as good a tackler as Luke, but actually better in pass coverage. I'm not sure that anyone here is an NFL scout.

Most scouts with years of NFL knowledge say that the awards circuit took a lot out of Manti, plus getting a serious bout with the flu the week after he came back. When you train insanely hard for 6 months and then have to work out in hotel gyms for 8 days in a row, then get the flu, it is going to have some short-term effects.

And give 'bama some credit!! Your offense knew our formations, and, according to Barrett, knew what matchups they would face when we would shift. His lack of solid lay was a product of our entire D's inability to stop you. Manti won't go that high, but he is a first rounder: my sources are NFL scouts. I'm just not understanding the hate on the kid. Obviously I am biased; feel free to rip me apart.

This is the most outspoken I have ever been on this board, but I really like it here, so hopefully this doesn't ruin any kind of reputation of respectability that I may ​have established here.
I can't disagree with any of this. Personally (and I am sure to be in the minority on this opinion around here) I think he has developed into as good a linebacker as anyone in the draft, and yes that includes Jarvis Jones. However, having 'that one bad game' on the biggest stage of his career so far will cause him to take a serious hit. I am not sure that anyone was saying anything other than that.

If he goes into the combine and shows decent speed numbers I think it would go a long way toward erasing the showing in the game. If he doesn't it may reinforce the perception and I could easily see him dropping out of the first round. Those NFL guys are pretty fickle.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
A couple of things...

Why is Dee top five someone asked?

He has great size, really good speed, and amazing range. What moves him ahead of every other corner (like Banks) is that he is physical enough to jam big receivers and is phenomenal in run support.

Jarvis Jones, if he lands in Detroit, won't play lb (they run 4-3 not 3-4). He'd play weak side defensive end. Think of their d line then. Jones on weak side, Vandenbosch on strong, with Suh and Fairley in the middle. That's a nightmare...

Two - he is first round talent easily. Don't judge just from the bcsncg, as he had his worst game. He plays smart, and covers well. He's not as physical as a lot of LB's, but he is more athletic. His immeasurable qualities are off the charts too. I'd take him in the 10-20 range.

Also on Kiper's board, he has Fluker going in rd 1. I don't think Lacy will, unless his combine is amazing. Then I would look for him in the 20-25 range..
This is a good point. I never thought about this. It could cause nightmares, but Lions have had serious problems with coverage in the middle. The current ILB's haven't got the job done - Tulloch/Durant/Levy haven't gotten the job done in pass coverage AT ALL. But with Suh taking up two blockers, Jarvis could have a field day if he plays to his potential.

IMO Dee is way more physical than Banks and can start right away.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Aren't Teo's INT stats a little inflated? I remember hearing that he had an inordinately high number of INTs off of balls other people tipped. I'm not sure that is a very meaningful stat.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I think I've commented before that the "hate" (not the right word) on MT was a direct result of the press love he (and the entire ND team) got in the buildup to the game. I don't talk to NFL scouts, but I do a lot of reading of predictions (not by people like Kiper). I wouldn't be surprised to see that his draft status hold up or to see that he's had a major drop. As several have said, I think it depends on the combine and his measurables...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
The day I start getting my NFL Draft predictions from a guy who looks like he just got done shooting his Glamour Shots is the day I will start listening to Kiper!

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

170 posts and counting; and always respectful and make solid points....youve developed a lot of goodwill, IMO.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
You guys are really unfair to Kiper. He just states his opinions on things. The whole White thing is WAY over blown. As for his draft knowledge, he does a good job at prognostication. He is right more often than wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.