Link: Football Recruiting: SEC Team Leaderboard, Three Weeks Out

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Doesn't look like Butch Jones has made a big impressions as of yet.

Ole Miss and Vandy having good years.

rtr

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Arky being that low is pretty surprising; then again, bad season+new coach with little time to recruit/ build relationships + state with few top tier players = bad recruiting I suppose. I'm surprised vandy is ranked so highly; I'd like to see Vandy take the lead in the East, especially if Franklin stays there for a while; good coach and it'd be a nice change of pace.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Arkansas never recruited at a high level even when Nutt or Petrino had that program on a roll. Arkansas is probably in one of the worst recruiting areas in the conference. Arkansas is a typically weak in-state recruiting pool. They recruit 5th tier at best in Texas and they don't really ever get anyone special out of Louisiana, Mississippi, or Tennessee.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Arkansas never recruited at a high level even when Nutt or Petrino had that program on a roll. Arkansas is probably in one of the worst recruiting areas in the conference. Arkansas is a typically weak in-state recruiting pool. They recruit 5th tier at best in Texas and they don't really ever get anyone special out of Louisiana, Mississippi, or Tennessee.
I think they and TN produce the fewest FBS players per capita in the SEC. Also, population-wise, they're about half the size of TN. TN is around 6 million, we push 5, and ARK is barely 3...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think they and TN produce the fewest FBS players per capita in the SEC. Also, population-wise, they're about half the size of TN. TN is around 6 million, we push 5, and ARK is barely 3...
Why is Tennessee high school football so bad? My father who grew up in Tennessee has alway left me with the impression that Tennessee was a bigger basketball state than many give them credit. Small schools can easily make a basketball roster while a football roster kind pushed the limits of their enrollment. Alabama is mostly rural but the mountains cutting through Tennessee lead to a lot of smaller communities rather than places like Fayette or the like in Alabama.

That doesn't seem like that should be all there is to it though. You figure their big population centers would really carry some weight in football but they really don't...

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
Why is Tennessee high school football so bad? My father who grew up in Tennessee has alway left me with the impression that Tennessee was a bigger basketball state than many give them credit. Small schools can easily make a basketball roster while a football roster kind pushed the limits of their enrollment. Alabama is mostly rural but the mountains cutting through Tennessee lead to a lot of smaller communities rather than places like Fayette or the like in Alabama.

That doesn't seem like that should be all there is to it though. You figure their big population centers would really carry some weight in football but they really don't...
I've grown up and lived here my whole life and I still can't really put my finger on that. High school football has a decent following here, but I don't think there's enough internal promotion and advertising to really raise it to the next level. I also don't think the colleges do enough relationship building with the high schools.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.