Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I agree. What's worse is that now he's doubling down on lies, yet again. Everything he has said will be dissected repeatedly, and it will eventually come down like a house of cards.

"Victim of a cruel hoax" is designed to elicit sympathy or pity. But once people know they've been lied to, they feel no sympathy or pity. Life's about to get tough for Te'o.
I just wonder who wrote that statement for him?

Is this why Coach Kelly went on vacation after the BCS NCG?

UA All the Way

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2005
Las Vegas
This AD will regret this news conference if it comes out Manti lied. He is in front of national tv praising this kid. This will turn out ugly for ND, and quick.

BAMA JAMMA

Scout Team
Oct 28, 2007
To anyone who is trying to give the benefit of the doubt to Te'o ask yourself this....

If you believe his statement that he was the victim of a hoax then why does everything about it contradict what he's publicly stated as them meeting each other several times face to face? The same for the Teo family? What about a funeral for his GF, despite her plea for him to play a game of football instead...come on lol? Surely someone who was as involved as he lead on about their relationship (Internet or not) you would think he would of attended the funeral out of respect for her and the family. But now its all supposedly 100% digital and all those face to face meetings never happened? That the pictures of his GF online didn't match the supposed girl he was seeing for YEARS?

RIIIGHT.

I've got some killer property to sell you if you believe ANYTHING Teo or ND issues as a "statement". A statement of what? That they are liars and used this disgusting lie as a virtual viral catapult to his football career and NDs "return to relevancy"?

I'm sorry guys but if it walks, talks, and looks like a duck....well...

Last edited:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Of all of the reporters and media outlets than ran with this story, no one thought it odd that this girlfriend was diagnosed with leukemia in June 2012 and received a bone marrow transplant the same month? I wasn't aware that UNOS could work that fast.

I would have also questioned the story that she was released from the hospital after being hospitalized for several weeks, only to die the next day on 9/11 of all days.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He was contacted while in Orlando for the ESPN award show. That would have been in early December. He didn't tell Brian Kelly until December 26. Why wait two weeks?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm still shaking my head in disbelief! Unbelievable. And to think that I felt so sad for him when I actually heard this story about his grandmother and girl friend either on the ESPY awards program or the BCSNCG build up (maybe both).

I just don't know what to believe anymore. This has got to be one of the biggest or THE Biggest lie that I've ever heard!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Of all of the reporters and media outlets than ran with this story, no one thought it odd that this girlfriend was diagnosed with leukemia in June 2012 and received a bone marrow transplant the same month? I wasn't aware that UNOS could work that fast.

I would have also questioned the story that she was released from the hospital after being hospitalized for several weeks, only to die the next day on 9/11 of all days.
None of it made any sense and the national media are idiots for swallowing it hook, line and sinker. (I'll translate the last remark for non-southern, non-fisherman members...)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
This is amazing, the depth of his lies. Who was the female voice on the phone all night, sleeping along with him on the phone? What a dedicated hoaxster that young lady was!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
To anyone who is trying to give the benefit of the doubt to Te'o ask yourself this....

If you believe his statement that he was the victim of a hoax then why does everything about it contradict what he's publicly stated as them meeting each other several times face to face? The same for the Teo family? What about a funeral for his GF? Surely someone who was as involved as he lead on about their relationship (Internet or not) you would think he would of attended the funeral out of respect for her and the family. But now its all supposedly 100% digital and all those face to face meetings never happened? That the pictures of his GF online didn't match the supposed girl he was seeing for YEARS?

RIIIGHT.

I've got some killer property to sell you if you believe ANYTHING Teo or ND issues as a "statement". A statement of what? That they are liars and used this disgusting lie as a virtual viral catapult to his football career and NDs "return to relevancy"?

I'm sorry guys but if it walks, talks, and looks like a duck....well...
If those Catholics at ND are truly Christian, then they need to handle this in a Christ-like manner. Is touchdown Jesus crying as we discuss this? I'm still stunned!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
This song is pretty appropriate for this story..I dedicate it to Te'o & his "Imaginary Lover"..I actually haven't heard it in a long time...Great song..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So just finished reading some of the Irish envy board. I come to the conclusion, most are in denial.

They are doing a lot of "what ifs" and that doesn't lead to anything good. I don't understand why they are making excuses for him. Why invest hope into this guy?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Really odd paragraph from ESPN article about this:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8851033

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011. "This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa." Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp. "She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... " He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said "No, she is real."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.