Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Another thing I thought about with this, there were reports that he did go to meet with her but that at each time she failed to show. You would think if they were madly in love theres no way she just can't make it etc etc.
The dad was quoted as saying that she came and stayed with them in Hawaii...try again!

Zipp

Dec 5, 2011
My question is when the "girlfriend" died, wouldn't the ND athletic department, coaches, and players want to send flowers to the funeral home? They would have known from the get go this was false!

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
In this day and age, they didnt have video chats? If the love of your life had cancer would you go see her, at least once, in the hospital? If she was in a car wreck, wouldnt you move heaven and earth to get to her?
Skype hasn't found its way to the ND campus!

The whole story is preposterous, as was the ridiculous press conference and all the Te'o family quotes. The dumbing down of America continues!

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
My question is when the "girlfriend" died, wouldn't the ND athletic department, coaches, and players want to send flowers to the funeral home? They would have known from the get go this was false!
They did send flowers. They explained in the press conference how elaborite the hoax was to even have somewhere to send flowers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
None of it makes sense to any rational person...

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I can only imagine what it's like in South Bend tonight. First they were molly-whomped by us and now this!:biggrin:
They'll try to use it to their advantage. I knew it wouldn't be long before they were blaming the loss on this. Te'o could have had 10 REAL girlfriends and we would have still hammered them. Whatever makes them feel better I guess.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm with you, Pepper. There's nothing but sadness about this whole thing. It's sad it he was duped, it's sad if he made it up for whatever reason. I see so many people making jokes or taking delight in this and that too makes me sad. Karma isn't magic, it's just the consequences of the things we do. He's going to get a karma payback if he's complicit in this. Let's not build up our own karmic debt by reveling in schadenfreude.
if schadenfreude is wrong, then i don't want to be right ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm with you, Pepper. There's nothing but sadness about this whole thing. It's sad it he was duped, it's sad if he made it up for whatever reason. I see so many people making jokes or taking delight in this and that too makes me sad. Karma isn't magic, it's just the consequences of the things we do. He's going to get a karma payback if he's complicit in this. Let's not build up our own karmic debt by reveling in schadenfreude.
Oh, gimme a break. When any little thing goes wrong at Bama, the whole rest of the CFB world revels in schadenfreude. Don't lecture us when this perfect team with this perfect linebacker proves to have had clay feet. And they're covering up worse than this...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Oh, gimme a break. When any little thing goes wrong at Bama, the whole rest of the CFB world revels in schadenfreude. Don't lecture us when this perfect team with this perfect linebacker proves to have had clay feet. And they're covering up worse than this...
Truer words were never spoken. Nothing lower than liars IMO.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I have to admit that my first reaction was to believe him and feel sorry for him. After all of the inconsistencies, it is impossible to believe him and I feel more sorry for him.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I'm sorry but this is worse than paying a kid to come to your school, or having boosters throw parties for recruits. A person was made up, killed off, squeezed for publicity, and lied about. That is sick... there are only two realistic conclusions I think that you can come to...

1.) This was all to try and raise Manti's profile. I think this is what a lot of people will conclude, but I think it's otherwise.

2. (My theory) I'll preface this by saying the only condemnation I am laying on Teo is the hoax I think he created. That being said, I think the guy portraying his "gf" was either his boyfriend or associated with a boyfriend, and Teo was afraid to come out. So instead, he made up a gf for public persona. His family knew of his lifestyle, so he quickly let them know he was faking the relationship. When he felt significant time had passed, and knowing as a future star people would start looking for his "significant other" the plan was formed to "kill her off". That would keep his invented image intact, and give him space to stay away from the media when it comes to dating. The story then took off, more then expected, and the hole hot bigger every time he opened his mouth...
This. Despite the knee jerk reactions we're all having (trust me, I've posted/made my share or jokes about this) I just don't believe that anyone started all of this as a Heisman publicity effort. Someone with sense would've cut that off in a hurry. I think was done in an effort to squash the "Dude why don't you have a gf" questions among friends and team mates. I mean, seriously, prior to the 2012 season who was paying attention to him or the ND program? I know they're ND and all....but they were as off the radar as ND gets for the most part. Then all of a sudden ND is 4-0 and he has turned into the face of the school.

The school, unaware at that time of any of this, starts a publicity push. I can see where a young would feel trapped. He doesn't want to let anyone down and is probably an otherwise upstanding young man. Yes, he, his family, and ND need to just own up at this point. It's not going away until they do.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I know some on here dont believe any of the story and others want to always jump to throw people under the bus if they are in another program. But i can tell you for a fact, that there are some sick people in this world and they will do anything in the sake of fun, entertainment, etc. There are lots of holes in the story, but anyone who does not believe stuff like this does not go on every day is living in a fantasy world. 25 years ago, those of you who are old enough could never have even imagined what would one day be available at the simple click of a button. Some are still naive themselves to what is out in the cyber world. People lie, cheat, steal, murder,rape, etc. everyday in real life so just imagine what goes on in a make believe world of the internet. Nothing is off the table and not available if you want to find it.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
They did send flowers. They explained in the press conference how elaborite the hoax was to even have somewhere to send flowers.
No, that's not what he said. He said ND didn't send flowers, but the Te'o family did. That's when he mentioned that they had an address to send the flowers to. This, of course, is based on what the Te'o family told him (and possibly in the report by the unnamed private investigation firm whose results will not be released).

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL
I hate to get into the "this is whats wrong with America" thing, but come on man!
It's cool BiB, America's a big country, and there's room for lots of opinions. I have to do my thing though, which is to bring the human element back into the conversation. Don't forget that he's a kid. If he's a Machiavellian sociopath, it will come out, and he'll lose a lot of money and maybe his whole livelihood depending on how far this goes. If he's a goofy dumb kid who thought this was funny, well, hopefully this will media brown note will teach him a hard lesson. Either way, I don't think it's good for the spirit to delight in what's happening today. That's where I'm coming from.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.