Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
No, that's not what he said. He said ND didn't send flowers, but the Te'o family did. That's when he mentioned that they had an address to send the flowers to. This, of course, is based on what the Te'o family told him (and possibly in the report by the unnamed private investigation firm whose results will not be released).
I did not mean ND sent them. I only said this to show that an address was set up and flowers were sent. In response to someone asking if this was real, wouldnt someone have sent flowers.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I know some on here dont believe any of the story and others want to always jump to throw people under the bus if they are in another program. But i can tell you for a fact, that there are some sick people in this world and they will do anything in the sake of fun, entertainment, etc. There are lots of holes in the story, but anyone who does not believe stuff like this does not go on every day is living in a fantasy world. 25 years ago, those of you who are old enough could never have even imagined what would one day be available at the simple click of a button. Some are still naive themselves to what is out in the cyber world. People lie, cheat, steal, murder,rape, etc. everyday in real life so just imagine what goes on in a make believe world of the internet. Nothing is off the table and not available if you want to find it.
I don't disagree at all, but everything about this story leads me to believe Te'o was in on, not some victim.

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL
Oh, gimme a break. When any little thing goes wrong at Bama, the whole rest of the CFB world revels in schadenfreude. Don't lecture us when this perfect team with this perfect linebacker proves to have had clay feet. And they're covering up worse than this...
Yeah, they do, and that's not cool either. And I suspect they are covering up some really terrible things. And when those terrible things come out, I really hope that we won't delight in that either. Not a lecture, just a hope.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I know some on here dont believe any of the story and others want to always jump to throw people under the bus if they are in another program. But i can tell you for a fact, that there are some sick people in this world and they will do anything in the sake of fun, entertainment, etc. There are lots of holes in the story, but anyone who does not believe stuff like this does not go on every day is living in a fantasy world. 25 years ago, those of you who are old enough could never have even imagined what would one day be available at the simple click of a button. Some are still naive themselves to what is out in the cyber world. People lie, cheat, steal, murder,rape, etc. everyday in real life so just imagine what goes on in a make believe world of the internet. Nothing is off the table and not available if you want to find it.
I don't doubt that at all, but the "holes" in this story are significant. He and and his dad have personally said on numerous occasions that Manti had met this woman, and not "met" in the way Swarbrick is trying to portray. At the very least he has lied about the relationship to make it seem much than it was, and at the worst he is behind the whole thing. There is no good outcome for him, but at the end of the day, he has been living a big lie. That's not throwing anybody under the bus. That's the truth.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If you want a real comparison of how sick this is...

I cant imagine how insulting and painful this is to Carson...

Somebody needs to show up a give Teo a code red for this stunt.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It's cool BiB, America's a big country, and there's room for lots of opinions. I have to do my thing though, which is to bring the human element back into the conversation. Don't forget that he's a kid. If he's a Machiavellian sociopath, it will come out, and he'll lose a lot of money and maybe his whole livelihood depending on how far this goes. If he's a goofy dumb kid who thought this was funny, well, hopefully this will media brown note will teach him a hard lesson. Either way, I don't think it's good for the spirit to delight in what's happening today. That's where I'm coming from.

This is different than just any other "kid". He took the role of being the "face" of ND. Knew he was getting all this love because of his story. He had numerous real "kids" that looked up to him and inspired by him. The lies will effect others, not just himself.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did not mean ND sent them. I only said this to show that an address was set up and flowers were sent. In response to someone asking if this was real, wouldnt someone have sent flowers.
Of course they would have done the decent thing. That's just one of a thousand holes in the story which show that the whole T'eo family was in on the hoax and people at ND suspected it a long time before it became public...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Speaking of living in a fantasy world.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Nothing changes the fact that both he and his family, at the very least, collectively and intentionally lied about the nature of the relationship and having spent time with the fake girlfriend.

No matter what else from the ND and Te'o statements may have some shred if truth to it, he and his family are liars. They intentionally chose to be that. And they benefited from their lies.

Anything else is just a greater indictment of their character. At this point, defending them is indefensible - even if they were "duped" in some way.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
HSV,

You have been around the block much longer than most of us have been alive and i respect your posts as much as anyone on this forum. You have seen all the mud thrown our way when most of us were not even born, so i do understand where you are coming from on this. My only point is that bad stuff like this hoax can happen to good people. They even may make the situation worse by lying about it for whatever reason. This guy either was apart of the hoax or he was sucked into a make believe world and basically brainwashed. Either way, it does not make us better people for stomping on him at this point in the story. Sure he could be lying through his teeth about everything. But he could also have fallen prey to real preditors who are not make believe. At the least he looks to be guilty of adding untrue details to the story, but it could end at that and I dont feel comfortable condeming him for potentially being very naive, young and love struck. We have all been there. Just one mans opinion.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This is different than just any other "kid". He took the role of being the "face" of ND. Knew he was getting all this love because of his story. He had numerous real "kids" that looked up to him and inspired by him. The lies will effect others, not just himself.
Not to mention all the players that deserved awards he won out of sympathy, he got someone's seat at the Heisman ceremony.....

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Who would invest a significant part of the last 3 years involving multiple people in order to trick someone for no gain? On top of that if you did pull of such an insane hoax wouldn't you at least be like got you at some point?

There are so many things that don't add up I am having trouble seeing how people are believing this. People believing Manti are just as gullible as he supposedly is.

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL
Totally agree with you there. He reaped tremendous rewards for this whole affair. If it turns out he pulled a fast one on the media, they're going to punish him in ways that make Dan LeBatard's vendetta against CNS look tame. All I'm saying is, due process and remember he's just a flawed as we all are. Punish him, if it's warranted, but consider what it means if one is delighting in it. Something about bread and circuses.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
HSV,

You have been around the block much longer than most of us have been alive and i respect your posts as much as anyone on this forum. You have seen all the mud thrown our way when most of us were not even born, so i do understand where you are coming from on this. My only point is that bad stuff like this hoax can happen to good people. They even may make the situation worse by lying about it for whatever reason. This guy either was apart of the hoax or he was sucked into a make believe world and basically brainwashed. Either way, it does not make us better people for stomping on him at this point in the story. Sure he could be lying through his teeth about everything. But he could also have fallen prey to real preditors who are not make believe. At the least he looks to be guilty of adding untrue details to the story, but it could end at that and I dont feel comfortable condeming him for potentially being very naive, young and love struck. We have all been there. Just one mans opinion.
So what is it you want me to do? Close the thread? That's absurd. Also, I cannot keep people from drawing logical conclusions from the facts which have come to light. (And there are worse which haven't yet come to light.) Do you think we shouldn't discuss it at all? If you don't like what conclusions folk are drawing, you don't have to participate (or lecture your fellow members)...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I was mildly interested to hear the press conference then I realized what's a fake girlfriend to a school that will cover up negligent manslaughter and rape-suicide?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.