Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
A Morman kid from Hawaii , going to an all Catholic school in Indiana , gets involved in an online romance and gets played for a fool . Possible? I'll reserve my opinion until the facts come out . If Teo is a devout Morman , he probably has as strong or stronger morals than many of us on this board , including me . In the big scheme of things , does it really matter ?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A Morman kid from Hawaii , going to an all Catholic school in Indiana , gets involved in an online romance and gets played for a fool . Possible? I'll reserve my opinion until the facts come out . If Teo is a devout Morman , he probably has as strong or stronger morals than many of us on this board , including me . In the big scheme of things , does it really matter ?
Um, there are a lot of facts already out...

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Poor ol' Manti Te'o.....first he and Notre Dame were the imaginary #1 defensive player and team in the country....now his dead internet girlfriend is imaginary...I guess they will be saying there are no such things as leprechauns next... oh wait...

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Gene Wojciechowski of SI says he interviewed Te'o in October and asked if he could call Kekua's family and was told her family didn't want to talk about the subject. He also asked if he could get a picture of Kekua, and Te'o said her family wouldn't want any pictures published. This was two months before Te'o alleges to discover that he was duped.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Totally agree with you there. He reaped tremendous rewards for this whole affair. If it turns out he pulled a fast one on the media, they're going to punish him in ways that make Dan LeBatard's vendetta against CNS look tame. All I'm saying is, due process and remember he's just a flawed as we all are. Punish him, if it's warranted, but consider what it means if one is delighting in it. Something about bread and circuses.
If its all a hoax and he knew it was at the beginning, then he had all the power in the world to squash the rumor/lie. The cover up is as bad as the crime otherwise.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Wonder if this is true below...if so...we know why ESPN kept it quiet. They wanted to keep the "magic" of Manti alive for the game.

@ClayTravisBGID: Wow. RT @TheBigLead: Confirmed from 2 sources: ESPN has known about Manti Te'o story for 10 days.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
And another thing. If the absolute latest he knew about this was Dec 26 why did he allow this lie to continue to be perpetrated on the nation?
Another aspect that raises eyebrows - he first learned of it while in Orlando in early December but didn't tell the coaching staff until December 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
While not a handsome man, he is not exactly homely looking either. I can't believe with all the co-eds on campus at ND he couldn't find one instead of having a supposed internet relationship. I mean he's a football player and any shallow girl would go for a starter.
Umm, I think you're missing it. ;)

But don't worry about Manti. A buff, non-homely star linebacker will manage just fine at the gay bars.

Last edited:

AmeliaGayle

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 29, 2012
Mobile, AL
If its all a hoax and he knew it was at the beginning, then he had all the power in the world to squash the rumor/lie. The cover up is as bad as the crime otherwise.
Yeah, and if anything, his current denials would be the worst of all. If fate gives you a chance to come clean and make it right, take it man.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
If Teo is a devout Mormon, it would be harder to 'come out', if that's what's really going on. A possibility that would explain a lot.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
This brings to mind the weeks leading up to the Heisman when ND fans would post on Texags and other sites casting espersions on manziel's character and talking about how the Heisman had a character element that should disqualify Johnny from being considered. Really ironic isn't it.

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008
I'm sorry but this is worse than paying a kid to come to your school, or having boosters throw parties for recruits. A person was made up, killed off, squeezed for publicity, and lied about. That is sick... there are only two realistic conclusions I think that you can come to...

1.) This was all to try and raise Manti's profile. I think this is what a lot of people will conclude, but I think it's otherwise.

2. (My theory) I'll preface this by saying the only condemnation I am laying on Teo is the hoax I think he created. That being said, I think the guy portraying his "gf" was either his boyfriend or associated with a boyfriend, and Teo was afraid to come out. So instead, he made up a gf for public persona. His family knew of his lifestyle, so he quickly let them know he was faking the relationship. When he felt significant time had passed, and knowing as a future star people would start looking for his "significant other" the plan was formed to "kill her off". That would keep his invented image intact, and give him space to stay away from the media when it comes to dating. The story then took off, more then expected, and the hole hot bigger every time he opened his mouth...
#2 is a very plausible theory, one that is making the rounds.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.