Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This brings to mind the weeks leading up to the Heisman when ND fans would post on Texags and other sites casting espersions on manziel's character and talking about how the Heisman had a character element that should disqualify Johnny from being considered. Really ironic isn't it.
What do you expect? There are some good folks who are Irish faithful but even the best can't get around this culture they've built. They sit on their perch of moral authority and nobody can do it more right than the University of Notre Dame.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I would compare this to a guy that goes around telling people he was a Navy Seal or won the CMH ... false valor. He knew at some point this was garbage and knew (as another poster stated) that these awards and attention were at least amplified, if not generated from sympathy for his situation and his alleged "strength of character." Still he bathed in it. I am sure it will play out where everybody gets what they deserve but my respect for him is at zero and I am glad our O-Line trucked him and his reputation as "the most celebrated player in college football history" as I think Mushbooger introduced him.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I would compare this to a guy that goes around telling people he was a Navy Seal or won the CMH ... false valor. He knew at some point this was garbage and knew (as another poster stated) that these awards and attention were at least amplified, if not generated from sympathy for his situation and his alleged "strength of character." Still he bathed in it. I am sure it will play out where everybody gets what they deserve but my respect for him is at zero and I am glad our O-Line trucked him and his reputation as "the most celebrated player in college football history" as I think Mushbooger introduced him.
If his performance in the BCSCG wasn't enough to strip him of every award he won, this crap certainly is.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
#2 is a very plausible theory, one that is making the rounds.
It may be a plausible theory, but not a smart plan. Since when does allegedly "killing off" someone, fake or not, ever actually "go away". Sounds intelligent enough to be ND.

Where is that corny song? "Let's go Irish, we are notre dame". Appropriate theme song.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Years ago, there was an attorney in Florence who had everyone believing that he was a former SEAL. He even had a Purple Heart with three clusters on display at the VFW Hall and sciatica from alleged shrapnel in his back. He runs for county Probate Judge and gets elected. Several years later he takes off on the run with embezzled public funds. He is arrested out west in a few weeks after being tracked down by following credit card charges. Turns out he was in the Navy, but was below deck on a carrier during most of the time he was enlisted.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Some on the Domer forums hope Te'o's fictional girlfriend was created to hide the fact he is gay rather than the fact he is an egotistical pathological liar.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
SO... Not only was Te'o a football fraud, so apparently was his dead girlfriend.
Sounds like somebody watched too much 'Animal House'.
Remember the movie headline? 'Sophomore Killed In Kiln Explosion...'

Something else for Te'o's dad to blow up about. (Kabuki Drama Anyone?)

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
The Notre Dame press conference was so strong in the fact that it was a total hoax and he had no involvement it honestly made me question all the jokes I have been making. I really don't believe it at all, but for them to come out that strongly makes me at least think the hoax is possible. It seems weird that Swarback would put so much on the line for a guy who isn't even in the program anymore.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
The Notre Dame press conference was so strong in the fact that it was a total hoax and he had no involvement it honestly made me question all the jokes I have been making. I really don't believe it at all, but for them to come out that strongly makes me at least think the hoax is possible. It seems weird that Swarback would put so much on the line for a guy who isn't even in the program anymore.
But it's the same guy that got ND on national TV constantly over the past 3 months and was the face of their national title run. That's like saying Auburn won't defend Cam because he isn't there anymore....well I guess now he is....

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Really odd paragraph from ESPN article about this:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8851033
Should be easy enough to confirm or debunk. Just ask him how to contact the Kekua family or track down Tuiasosopo, who appears to be a common thread in this story. I wouldn't be surprised though, if this didn't turn out to be a case of one Polynesian football player trying to cover for a fellow islander.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Looking at all this I've come to the conclusion that if he were taken in, in this fashion, in this day age, for that long, then he's got to be dumber than a bag full of hammers. I think it's more the case that he and Notre Dame hope the rest of us are that stupid. If he is that stupid the NCAA should probably take a closer look at his initial qualifying grades.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
No, that's not what he said. He said ND didn't send flowers, but the Te'o family did. That's when he mentioned that they had an address to send the flowers to. This, of course, is based on what the Te'o family told him (and possibly in the report by the unnamed private investigation firm whose results will not be released).
This private investigation must be kinda like their internal investigation into the Rape.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry. Too much out there already. They just dug their hole deeper. It's worked for them in some other cases, but this is too public and too widespread...

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Looking at all this I've come to the conclusion that if he were taken in, in this fashion, in this day age, for that long, then he's got to be dumber than a bag full of hammers. I think it's more the case that he and Notre Dame hope the rest of us are that stupid. If he is that stupid the NCAA should probably take a closer look at his initial qualifying grades.
I think Swarbrick climbed out on that dead limb with Te'o before realizing that he couldn't be saved.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another example of a man put up on a pedestal, and then disappointing all those who look up to him. I am baffled by those who idolize people that they do not know.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
A Morman kid from Hawaii , going to an all Catholic school in Indiana , gets involved in an online romance and gets played for a fool . Possible? I'll reserve my opinion until the facts come out . If Teo is a devout Morman , he probably has as strong or stronger morals than many of us on this board , including me . In the big scheme of things , does it really matter ?
I don't know, but seems like having stronger morals would require you to come clean as soon as you found out the truth. But to wait several days before telling your team/school who were totally vested in your story and letting the media and the nation fawn over you for a few more weeks, does not sound like strong morals to me. More like preserving your media-made image for as long as you can.

Now, the reason for ND keeping quiet is very simple. They were enjoying positive publicity for the first time in a while: a winning season with a shot at their first national title in 24 years and a potential Heisman winner with a heart-wrenching human interest story. They were going to ride that house until it dropped.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.