Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 1234567891252102 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

If true, this has to be some sort of joke that just snowballed. Sad...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Could Jim Nabors be "Lennay Kekua?" First he's exposed by the Tide, and now this?

MG

Traditional media people like to rag on Deadspin, but I think it's obvious that they have far more journalistic integrity than a company like ESPN.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

this is despicable if true. i know manti was exposed in the BCSCG, but this is ridiculous

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I just read the article and Deadspin definitely did their homework. It will be interesting to see how Te'o and his family respond to this but it is just mind boggling deceptive if true. Talk about going from the top to hitting the bottom in record speed. Win practically every award except the Heisman, all over ESPN, next thing you know you're crushed and exposed by Alabama, and now your "dead girlfriend" never existed.

Gotta be scary for the real girl behind those pictures. She seems pretty freaked out and rightfully so.

BamaNation First Team 4thGenBamaGrad's Avatar

Evidently, from talking to a young Irish alum, there has long been skepticism on the N.D. campus about how serious the relationship really was--that it was propped up for publicity.

But no one expected this. Some think this may have just started as an attempt (made-up long-distance girlfriend) by a gay Mormon football player to stay on the DL, but went horribly off-course.

Regardless of the reasons behind this, I worry about the kid and hope he can get through this.

"Coach, if you need one yard, I'll get you three yards. If you need five yards, I'll get you three yards."
    Leroy Hoard

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

The author of the article is on CBS radio now - http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/cbs-sports-radio
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This is absolutely jaw dropping. I'm stunned, and it's bad enough that the national media had the wool pulled over their eyes, but I can't imagine how the people at ND who view Te'o as a hero are going to feel.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Vive le Catfish
    RIP Hub

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Statement from Notre Dame:

"Notre Dame coaches informed Dec 26 by Manti Te’o & parents Manti had been victim of what appears to be a hoax"... "Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself w/Manti & then conspired w/others to lead him believe she had tragically died of leukemia" ... "Proper authorities continue to investigate, this appears to be, at minimum, a sad & very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators"
    https://www.facebook.com/NDFootball/...53537038009180
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Stunned. Just speechless. Even in our upside down world this is shocking.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team BornABamaFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Jeez, I haven't had a mind numbing read like that since my third economics class in college.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Absolutely crazy if true. My concern is that there are a lot of anonymous sources or 'hidden' individuals. We'll see if anything happens with this.