Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Wow this is crazy!

But, I guess ND got they their excuse.

2009 - If Colt ain'ta got hurt...
2011 - If Les had'a put in Jarrett Lee..
2012 - If Manti's fake g/f hadn'ta been exposed...
let me translate these into english...

2009 - If Colt ain'ta got hurt... ( we're losers)
2011 - If Les had'a put in Jarrett Lee..( we're losers)
2012 - If Manti's fake g/f hadn'ta been exposed...( we're losers)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Most of us had imaginary friends when we were children, but most of us left them at home when we went to kindergarten. In this case, she made it all the way to Stanford and Teo still sleeps with a night light.

Has anyone else had passing thoughts of Elaine Benes and her fake funeral for Suzie? If you've not seen it, it's hysterical. (For those who have never seen it, Suzie doesn't exist. At the funeral both Jerry and Elaine's boss claim to have been intimate with the nonexistent girl).

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
A big applause to CBS sports and columnist Gregg Doyel for not bending like the rest of the media!
Meh. Gregg Doyel is a professional troll -- essentially a Clay Travis but with a bigger platform. He lives for this kind of stuff.

I'll be more interested to see how "legitimate" journalists respond. In particular, I've often been impressed with Pete Thamel of NYT/SI. He was bamboozled in this deal. Let's see what he does.

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
There has been speculation on the last few pages that the media will do their best to brush this under the carpet for ND. I disagree. 20 years ago that is exactly what would happen. Now? No way. They were just massively scooped by deadspin and you know that just can't sit well in news rooms across the country. I'm no fan of Gawker Media and their crap reporting but they nailed this one and you know it's just eating the mainstream medias soul to have to keep saying "first reported on Deadspin.com". No way any major media (outside of NBC News for obvious self serving reasons) holds back and gets scooped again. I just can't see it
I'm with you on this. The major outlets would like for this story to die quickly. As more absurd parts of this story surface, the worse they look.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

Arizona Cardinals Fullback Reagan Mauia claims he met Lennay Kekua (Manti's supposedly fake girlfriend) before her and Te'o were a couple. He says she was tall and beautiful...what the hell!?

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
So in this article, the funeral was in Hawaii...article written Jan 3. 2013

Should a movie ever be made about Te’o himself, it will require an actor of great emotional range. In the space of six hours last September both his grandmother and his girlfriend, Stanford student Lennay Kekua , passed away. Kekua, 22, died of leukemia. Near the end she made Te’o promise that he would stay and play at Notre Dame rather than rush home to Hawaii for a funeral service.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...eo-leaves-inspiring-legacy-that-will-e/nTmQR/

And in this one, she was buried in Cali...article written Nov. 29, 2012

That day, Sept. 15, Kekua was buried in California. Te’o knew exactly what time the casket would be closed (noon in South Bend) and the Irish were going through their pre-game walk-thru in an empty stadium at the time. He turned to defensive coordinator Bob Diaco and asked for the time. Diaco said, “12:01.” It was then that Te’o took a moment to think about all that had occurred.
Kekua, by the way, had made Te’o promise to not miss a game in order to attend her funeral service. All she asked for was a dozen white roses, which Manti sent.
That night thousands of Notre Dame students–and others, including Wolverine supporters–honored Manti and his grief by wearing leis.
“When I lost my girlfriend and my grandmother, that was possibly the hardest time of my life,” Te’o told Kate Sullivan in an interview recently. “And to see the Notre Dame community rally around just one person . . . that’s where I just looked up and said, ‘Heavenly Father, you’re the man.’
http://ndfootball.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/manti-teo-the-notre-dame-linebacker-unplugged-part-five/

the whole story stinks. he never asked to go to the funeral of someone he called his girlfriend? hell as much as the media loves to cover stories until someone wants to puke and not one person thought to interview the parents of this "girlfriend" to get their opinion of Teo's dedication of his season to her?

Not only that, but I'm waiting for someone in the media to remind Swarbrick/ND that Te'o continued this farce to the media and everyone during the BCSCG interviews...after he'd supposedly informed ND (Dec. 26) that he was the "victim" of a hoax.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Arizona Cardinals Fullback Reagan Mauia claims he met Lennay Kekua (Manti's supposedly fake girlfriend) before her and Te'o were a couple. He says she was tall and beautiful...what the hell!?
This guy met someone with a similar name, IMO. Clearly he did not meet the woman who doesn't exist. Remember, these guys get hit in the head - often. :wink:

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
If you want a real comparison of how sick this is...

I cant imagine how insulting and painful this is to Carson...

Somebody needs to show up a give Teo a code red for this stunt.
This is the point I made in talking to my son this morning!! "And here we have Carson Tinker whose REAL girlfriend was practically snatched from his arms."

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Thamel. What a suprise. He's the one that spent the whole season trumpeting that "ND has the hardest schedule in the country" nonsense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.