Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
A young woman reportedly raped by a ND player commuted suicide after threats from other players.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
They have dug themselves a deep hole. Their statement is contrary to Manti and his dad's tweets about meeting face to face - in Hawaii, no less. Certainly can see why he decided to decline the Senior Bowl...
At least they didn't depict her as of Hawaiian descent and give her the name Madonna Ho...

MG

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
So Notre Dame knew it was fake on December 26th, but didn't stop the media from doing stories on it. Gotcha. As if I needed more reasons to hope they lose every game they play.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
They have dug themselves a deep hole. Their statement is contrary to Manti and his dad's tweets about meeting face to face - in Hawaii, no less. Certainly can see why he decided to decline the Senior Bowl...
Yep; not to mention meeting in Palo Alto after the game (presumably face to face). But that would've been at night, so he didn't get a clear look and in Hawaii, she always wore sunglasses (even indoors), so he never really saw her face and the photos are of a doppleganger.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The thing that gets me about all of this is how poorly the media does their job. Their job isn't to report what people tell them to report, it's to investigate and report. They have a habit of reporting what they want, rather than doing their job though and this is yet another example.

He never deserved to be a Heisman finalist anyway, but this? He makes up a girlfriend and then kills her off? Yet, watch closely. I wouldn't be surprised if the media turns this into a story about a poor player that had to hide his orientation and had no choice but to make up a girlfriend or some such nonsense.

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
The thing that gets me about all of this is how poorly the media does their job. Their job isn't to report what people tell them to report, it's to investigate and report. They have a habit of reporting what they want, rather than doing their job though and this is yet another example.

He never deserved to be a Heisman finalist anyway, but this? He makes up a girlfriend and then kills her off? Yet, watch closely. I wouldn't be surprised if the media turns this into a story about a poor player that had to hide his orientation and had no choice but to make up a girlfriend or some such nonsense.
This will probably be true, if only to make the media look better for being duped.

Thing is, nobody cares if someone is a friend of Dorothy these days.

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
Here is some conflicting information in regards to his girlfriend, let me be crystal clear Manti Te'o was not hoaxed and Notre Dame will regret their stance on this issue.

Lennay Kekua was a student at Stanford when they first met as freshmen students three years ago. Their relationship started out slowly, but they managed to vacation together that first year in Hawaii. Within a year they were an item.

He remembered her this way at the funeral, recalling her final living instructions to him. “Babe, if anything happens to me, you promise that you’ll still stay over there and that you’ll play and that you’ll honor me through the way you play, and know that I would rather have you there.”

http://www.rightentertainment.com/?p=7821

This guy is a TOTAL FAKE and makes me SICK!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

my thoughts exactly

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Pretty sickening to try and use something like this for publicity, and just shows how little true journalism exists now. Hopefully karma catches up to this guy big time.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
With all the hoopla over this gf's death, not one ESPN reporter ever thought to look up a death certificate? No one was even curious until Deadspin got a tip? People out there who consider themselves sports journalists should be ashamed of their own lack of curiosity.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Notre Dame probably made up that whole stupid Rudy story, too.
That's already been established. Moving on, how could SI and the South Bend Tribune buy this:

"Te'o talks to Lennay nightly, "going to sleep while on the phone with her," according to Sports Illustrated. "When he woke up in the morning his phone would show an eight-hour call, and he would hear Lennay breathing on the other end of the line."

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Me and my incredibly real super model wife couldn't believe this when we read it. Who makes up fake significant others to make themselves look better? That's just bizarre. :conf3:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.