Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Maybe the Heaven's Gate people were right all along and Lennay was taken away by the Hale-Bopp comet. I mean, it sounds reasonable to me. We need to find out if she had an affinity for Nikes and purple blankets.
The Hale-Bopp comet was at its closest point to the earth in 1997 (16 years ago) and it is moving away from us at about 140 million miles per year so it is about 3.15 billion miles away now.

It makes sense that they were attracted once you compare her ability to board a spaceship following a comet and his ability to tackle Eddie Lacy. :cool:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
from what I heard this morning from a lawyer of Mike and Mike there are no criminal charges unless they extorted something of value by doing this. There could be civil lawsuit for emotional damage.
Is a trip to the Heisman presentation in NYC something of value? If one could show that his numbers alone ordinarily wouldn't have put him in the top 5 players nationally, then there could theoretically be a case. However, since the invitations don't correlate directly to any particular criteria other than subjective ones, it would be doubtful that anyone would pursue such a case.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
First time to post about the Te'o drama. Let me get this straight. A bunch of pompous, arrogant mouthpieces and hacks got taken to the cleaners by a whack job just because he played for the beloved Notre Dame. In their rush to polish those golden helmets and create even more of a rarefied air for the followers of all things Irish to breathe, they, the "journalists" forgot to do the most basic thing. Check if it is factual. This is just to funny.......

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
This article talks about fundraising in Lennay's name by ND people for Teo. Could this be used as the financial gain for criminal charges?

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-fundraised-manti-teo-girlfriend-shocked-hoax
I was about to post the same thing. The BIG thing I took from that article was at the bottom. The fundraiser was created 2 days after our win and ND promoted it through its AD website. This was about 2 weeks after (from ND's own version of events) the school was informed of the hoax. Yet, they still promoted a fundraiser that evoked the name of a person they knew to be fake.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
SI: When did you start talking to her all night?
TE'O: When she got in her accident?
SI: So starting in April?
TE'O: Yeah and you know, she was in a coma. I would try, and you know.
lol. I talked to my girlfriend every night when she was in a coma.

Who seriously is going to stay on a phone for 8 hours every night breathing for months just to fool this guy?

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
From the SI transcript:

SI: How did you meet her?
TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.
SI: How long were you dating? I know that can be a complicated question.
TE'O:Oct. 15 was the official date. Of last year. I've known her for four years. So we've been friends.
SI: So you dated for about a year.
TE'O:Yeah.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...nti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/#ixzz2IGwvJ27S
So, we are to believe that he knew her for 4 years, dating for 1, had all these details about her life in the transcript but, the whole thing was just an online/phone relationship. Yea, right dude. Guess dumb people can go to ND.

I was about to post the same thing. The BIG thing I took from that article was at the bottom. The fundraiser was created 2 days after our win and ND promoted it through its AD website. This was about 2 weeks after (from ND's own version of events) the school was informed of the hoax. Yet, they still promoted a fundraiser that evoked the name of a person they knew to be fake.
I can't wait to hear ND's response to this one; "fake person or not, it was a good cause".

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Oh man...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So many gems in that transcript.

SI: Where did you meet her in California?
TE'O: She actually came to one of the games. She saw me at one of the games.
SI: October 15, I assume is USC?
TE'O: That was in November. But she saw me at the USC game of my sophomore year. We were still just friends, we were acquaintances.
I like that he was vague about her seeing him, not saying that he saw her. Seems weird that she would show up and watch him and not meet him in person after being good friends for 3 years.

SI: I just want to make sure. Lennay had an iPad. She wrote a series of 12 letters to you every Friday before a game. Who read these to you?
TE'O: Her brother or her sister. Noa is her twin brother.
She had an iPad and they never video chatted?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.