Page 35 of 104 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435363738394041424585 ... LastLast

Re: Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

I also think the major sports media outlets are in DEFCON 10 CYA mode. They not only bought into the story, they pushed it until some of us were sick of all the hype.

2. Advertisement

Re: Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Quote Originally Posted by BillDee View Post
    I also think the major sports media outlets are in DEFCON 10 CYA mode. They not only bought into the story, they pushed it until some of us were sick of all the hype.
    i tried watching the nd/usc game in regular season and had to turn it off over the te'o gushing from herbstreit. herbstreit is one of my favorite sports reporter guys, but it was just sickening.

at least herbie made up for it by pointing out teos poor play early and often in the bcscg
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

I don't blame the media for all this. I mean, if someone says their girlfriend died, why would you have to check that out? Not going to the funeral was a bit odd, but he said she didn't want him to miss a game for it and given the distance to Hawaii, that seems plausible he wouldn't go.

I can also see a football player inventing a girlfriend to cover up being gay (especially a Mormon at a Catholic school), but saying she died is juts bizarre. Nobody outside the team and his circle of friends cared if he had a girlfriend. If people start getting nosy about her, just say they broke up and having a long distance relationship wasn't working out.

Raymond Burr, best known for playing Perry Mason, was gay but remained deeply in the closet for professional reasons. He had a brief marriage as a young man, but then went to great lengths to cover up his homosexuality. He claimed to have been wounded while serving in the Navy during WWII. He said he was married a couple other times and even said he had a son who had died at the age of ten.

I remember when Teo's girlfriend died. I had never heard of him before this season and didn't pay much attention to it since Notre Dame wasn't highly ranked early in the year. so I really wasn't aware of any of the back story of their relationship that was given at the time. He didn't play for us, so I really didn't care. I did not know until yesterday his grandmother had died. I really didn't pay much attention to him during the run up to our game. I was glad Manzeil won the Heisman over him, but that was mainly because I was rooting for the SEC guy.

BamaNation All-American Catfish's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    maybe he will be able to land a date with morgan fairchild now
    Tommy Flanagan disapproves of this post.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Sadly, this reminds me of the death of my girlfriend. We were sitting on the couch and I accidentilly touched her leg with my cigarette. In a sudden rush of air she flew up and landed on my ceiling fan and was ripped to shreds. I buried her in the garbage can.

I know, I know, take it to the NS board.
    Please stand behind our troops or feel free to stand in front of them.

BamaNation All-American Catfish's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Raymond Burr, best known for playing Perry Mason, was gay...
    And, Canadian.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Most of us had imaginary friends when we were children, but most of us left them at home when we went to kindergarten. In this case, she made it all the way to Stanford and Teo still sleeps with a night light.

Has anyone else had passing thoughts of Elaine Benes and her fake funeral for Suzie? If you've not seen it, it's hysterical. (For those who have never seen it, Suzie doesn't exist. At the funeral both Jerry and Elaine's boss claim to have been intimate with the nonexistent girl).
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

More information from playerwives:

http://www.playerwives.com/miscellan...-lennay-kekua/

PlayerWives.com had our own run in with the individual posing as Uilani Rae Kekua after receiving the following emails in rapid fire succession in the late hours of December 6, 2012:

11:02 PM, EST:Please, on behalf of our family... Take down the page of our sister Lennay Lekua*. We ask that you please respect our privacy as we still mourn the loss of our sister. We trust that you understand. Thank you & God bless! If you have any further concerns or questions please e-mail @ uilanirae@yahoo.com
    *Our first sign that this may not be legit came at the misspelling of her own last name. Our eyebrows continued to raise at the email received minutes later:

11:17 PM, EST
    Please take this page about Lennay down. Our family has already requested for the media to please respect our privacy and the memory of our Lennay. Please remove this page ASAP, thank you. -Kekua Family
    Urgent requests to handle changes have come to us in the past, but rarely increasingly agitated emails within 20 minutes of the prior. Minutes later, we received a third email from her, which was an exact copy and paste version of the first email noted above.
    Isn't December 6 the same day that Manti claims he received the call where someone with "the same voice" as Lennay told him that they were still alive? However, he doesn't tell anybody about this call for weeks?

December is also when the girl whose picture had been used for Lennay's social media profiles found out and made the call to Rohaiah Tuiasosopo about her pictures being used. It appears that this may have spooked him and began the rapid deconstruction of the social media presence of Lennay. If Manti was really the "victim" of the hoax, why call him at all to tell him that Lennay was still alive? Why wouldn't the hoaxster just clean up their mess and not worry about Manti? They had to know that this would be embarrassing to him and that he would never reveal it on his own.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Cat View Post
    Video after the MSU game, where Manti says in an interview he states "I couldn't do it without the support of my family, without the support of my girlfriends family"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKDu...e_gdata_player

So who was her pretend family? Were they "online only" support too? This was one heckuva elaborate orchestrated hoax that required numerous people keeping the secret, or Manti has just simply lied over the course of a season and continued to perpetuate the lies.

And the tweets don't prove anything, at least the one's I've seen...just proves/points to the possibility that someone knew/figured out that it was obviously a hoax and was joking about it, but doesn't prove Te'o wasn't part of it.
    Exactly! As well as the gut wrenching tale of him on the phone all night, every night, for four months with her.

I am shocked this wasn't exposed sooner. He wasn't duped. Will be interesting to see if the media ever holds him accountable for his comments on the "relationship" and timeline of his statements. Since there's no more money (ad revenues) to be made off him from his college career, they may go after him with a vengeance. Then again, maybe not. Unconditional forgiveness seems to be the order of the day with athletes regardless of the debris left in their wake.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I don't blame the media for all this. I mean, if someone says their girlfriend died, why would you have to check that out? Not going to the funeral was a bit odd, but he said she didn't want him to miss a game for it and given the distance to Hawaii, that seems plausible he wouldn't go.
    The funeral was supposedly in Carson, CA.

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend
    This kills me... and my girlfriend who used to date a ND linebacker.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Let's look at the advantages of Manti's 'Girlfriend'...

1. Cheap date (Gets into theaters free)
    2. Hardly eats at all
    3. She wasn't a clothes 'Horse'
    4. Free airfare

I don't know what Manti 'Saw' in her. Seems rather 'Transparent' to me...

This reminds me of an old TV show. 'TOPPER' with Leo G. Carol...

Suspended
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by IH8Orange View Post
    This kills me... and my girlfriend who used to date a ND linebacker.
    Sure sure buddy whatever you say