Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Lol, red flags everywhere in the Pete Thamel interview...
TE'O:She was always in California. Her family is from Hawaii but they live in California.

But in one of the other articles, (pre-BCS article I posted earlier in the thread, I think) it clearly says he stated she told him to not go home to Hawaii for the funeral...
and in other articles like the ND Tribune one that has since been removed, his dad made statements she would fly home to Hawaii to visit her family and meet Te'o there.

SI: Your girlfriend's funeral was yesterday?
TE'O: I talked to [her family yesterday]. I cried. I cried at 12 noon yesterday. At 9 a.m. California time

Kind of weird how he worded that...

They "dated" for about a year but he knew her four years...but never met...only he said they did in other articles.

Who were all the other family members, the mom, the dad, and the brothers she had that he communicated with? I mean, these people all dedicated all this time and effort to carry out this hoax, sitting in the room with her while he was on the phone with her?
Eight hours on the phone every night, for what, two months?...

What about the time difference in sleeping? She's on the West Coast, right? Guess he turned in really early every night...

All the quotes about the hospital stay ...I'm totally confused...she was getting better and was about to go home, but in a coma after the accident...had pains, they found leukemia...he didn't know what her injuries were from the car accident ...she was in a coma but would tell the nurses to call her boyfriend.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I wonder if Notre Dame's so-called investigation included viewing Te'o's phone records or having him take polygraph test?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Closing in on 700 posts on this thread.

Will it be a record? There has to be larger threads than this one.

What a story to come out right after the end of the season! :eek:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
TE'O: No. She could only breathe. One of the miraculous things was when I talked to her and she would hear my voice her breathing would pick up. Like quickly, and then she would start crying. But her breathing would quicken, and she would start crying. So her brother was in the room with the nurse. They were monitoring her. She said, "Who is she on the phone with?" Her boyfriend. She was like, "That's amazing. She doesn't do that with anybody else." So that happened. And then she flatlined and we were losing her.
Spoken like a true victim and dupe. :rolleyes: Gimme a break. These are statements of an accomplished liar who is "all in..."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Just asking, not assuming, but it sounds like you are ready to give him a pass if he was duped at the beginning and never knew "Lennay" to be ficticious until early December. You realize that even if this is true, he led America to believe that he had met this girl (minimum), right? That is not possible, as she does not exist. He lied - there is no getting around that. And he continued to lie as more questions were asked.

I won't crucify him for lying, but I won't give him a "victim" pass either.
No my friend. As I stated in my first post, I really haven't followed this story yet because of all the conjecture. I'm not ready to give anyone a pass, my opinion, or anything else. I simply said that if he was duped it placed him in a difficult situation. Conversely, if he wasn't duped then it's a sad day for college athletics in general. I've simply chosen to sit back and see how it all unfolds before saying what I think of the entire happening.
The reason I said that I truly hoped he was a victim is because I just think it would be sad if it turned out that he wasn't. That's it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No my friend. As I stated in my first post, I really haven't followed this story yet because of all the conjecture. I'm not ready to give anyone a pass, my opinion, or anything else. I simply said that if he was duped it placed him in a difficult situation. Conversely, if he wasn't duped then it's a sad day for college athletics in general. I've simply chosen to sit back and see how it all unfolds before saying what I think of the entire happening.
The reason I said that I truly hoped he was a victim is because I just think it would be sad if it turned out that he wasn't. That's it.
A reasonable position - Thanks for responding.

I have read too much to believe any more. Unless a mountain of "stuff" turns out to be false (like the quote above from Earle), I will have a hard time feeling sorry for Manti.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Spoken like a true victim and dupe. :rolleyes: Gimme a break. These are statements of an accomplished liar who is "all in..."
Yep - This is the stuff that I believe to be pure fabrication - Manti's fabrication.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was a pretty funny/long Bobby Petrino thread around here when I first joined. This one is even better. :smile:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
So if he was fooled, then who did he talk to on the phone for hours and hours at night?

i haven't read through the end of this thread, SIAP

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I'm disappointed in that none of my 900 numbers have been able to convince me that they were my real girlfriend.:confused: He was talking to?

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It seems that the argument revolves around exactly when did he start lying...
ok. See I saw an interview where he would say she encouraged him to keep playing and how he talked for something like 8 hours with her on the phone.

I am coming to the conclusion it may have started off as a hoax on him and then people started asking questions ...so he "killed" her off and started all those lies!

I wonder how his family, who wasn't involved, feels about his lying...when his Grandmother really did die. Disrespecting her memory with bringing up a fake tragedy instead of focusing on her.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I have just now read the last couple hours posts and new data (transcripts, etc.). I now feel justified in saying Teo and ND are guilty as sin. Even if he did not start the falsehood, he took it, ran with it, lied out the wazoo, perpetuated it, and benefited from it PURPOSEFULLY. I now have NO sympathy and could care less if his career ends up on his back being run over like in the BCS. He and ND deserve anything bad that can come from this. Unfortunately that won't happen since there are no authorities to censure or punish them like with Lance and the media will not deal them the ultimate condemnation like they deserve. If you don't believe me just read the last couple of hours of posts. If you still want to give the benefit of the doubt then I suggest you take your head out of the sand.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
If anyone is a fan of the "Hitler reacts to X" videos on Youtube, someone has already made one for this. "Hitler reacts to Manti Te'o hoax". I thought it was pretty decent although I've watched way too many of them.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Just contributing another post to this great thread.

I can't wait to hear this moron get on t.v. and lie his tail off....

The "victim" will talk, you better believe it!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.