Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

So here's my list of the five most likely outcomes:

1.) The perp confesses to everything and takes credit for working for three years to inflict harm on a young man in the public eye. He does this in a 1-on-1 interview with Deadspin or some other non-traditional media organization and cashes in on his 30 seconds of infamy. I put the probability at 40%.

I assign this high of a probability because there are several plausible factors that might force this option. First, if this was indeed a catfisher, if they do not reveal themselves then they do not get the glory. For a sociopath, that would take all of the gloryhole out of it. Second, CAA and Manti's lawyers may be putting the squeeze on them. Third, if it's just some jackhole living in his Dad's basement, then he will probably cave under the sign of pressure.

2.) The perp confesses but claims Manti is a willing co-conspirator. This statement will also likely be made to Deadspin or their ilk. I put this probability at 15%.

If the perp drags Te'o into it (rightly or wrongly), he's denying himself credit for pulling off a great (from his/her point of view) scam. However, the one thing catfisher/sociopaths love more than attention is ....ing people off.

3.) Manti's lawyers and CAA are waiting for the perp to make a move before saying anything because they've got a truckload of evidence on their side. So, they are waiting for this perp to come out with something hoping to swoop in, do a massive document drop to several outlets and completely discredit whoever is behind this. I assign a probability of 20%.

4.) Manti lied about everything and is in sociopathic cahoots with the bad guys. CAA knows this and is hoping that the other perp won't down him. Or, they have bought silence. Since he has zero documented problems in his history with authority, I assign a probability of 5%.

5.) There was an attempt to extort Manti in the last few weeks and law enforcement is now involved. I am envisioning federal grand jury, so the whole thing is sealed, and he was advised not to speak on the matter until an indictment is handed down. I assign a probability of 20%.
I am having a hard time with your relative probabilities....
There is no way that Teo has no culpability in this, given all his public comments and the dates they were made.

I know allegiances to schools play into peoples defenses, but the walls are crumbling down on the timelines, and statements to give his innoncence an 85 percent probability.

sorry, friend...just too much sympathy eeking out when I think through your reasoning within your comments.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Skip Bayless is the encapsulation of the modern ESPN journalistic mission.

Yesterday on Finebaum a reporter was talking about an editor who years ago told him, "I'd rather be right than fast." I thought he said fat instead of fast at first. I think my mind was playing a trick to lead me to the bigger point: ESPN is too fat to provide hard journalism. Journalism can only thrive when the business has a singular goal: providing what they believe to be the truth. ESPN may have plenty of guys behind the camera and on the screen who desire to meet that goal but there are too many stakeholders at ESPN. The hard truth may be good business for a newspaper or magazine, but it may not be the best goal for an entertainment content provider.

When ESPN was still growing, yes, they had some content rights but the over-the-air broadcasters still controlled most of the bell cows of sports entertainment. They put their stake down on high quality journalism and Sportscenter became the gold standard for the whole industry. I'd argue that with a detailed study of ESPN's reporting habits (first-of-it's-kind investigative reports, breaking stories, etc) has a strong correlation with their growth in broadcasting rights with major players in American sports. Correlation doesn't always mean causation but I think a strong case could be made that my theorized correlation has a true causation.

You can even see their contract rights affecting their coverage of issues like the NBA and NHL lockouts over the last two years. Hockey is almost nonexistent on the ESPN networks since they ended their live game coverage of the sport. Still, the NBA lockout was a major talking point nearly every day until it's resolution. I think it would be fair to suggest that ESPN pushed the narrative on that dispute to encourage reconciliation because they had a stake in the broadcast of the games. No surprise, they reached agreement just in time for ABC's major Christmas Day marathon of NBA basketball. The NHL was not so lucky, their dispute dragged on to the point that it will almost be the NBA ASG and NCAAB tourney season before they get into swing.

ESPN is fat and has their tentacles wrapped around too much in the industry to be reliable news source. I mean, deadspin is breaking more stories than ESPN these days and this is one of the first times ESPN correctly cited deadspin on a story. Before ESPN would simple say they had "sources"...and the sources being "they just read the deadspin report."
To further add to your point, I was listening to Clay Travis (I know) on Jox and he was discussing ESPN. He said that he has been given tips about stories, or has been given entire stories to report by ESPN because ESPN would tell their reporters not to publish them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Beside the fact ESPN has refused to "connect the dots" on the Manti and avoided two other major ethical issues at Notre Dame over the last three years, their refusal to attempt to bring up the tough stories reaches beyond football.

For example, they refused to even touch the Patriot's Spygate issues with true relentlessness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye1Iyz7vVbs

The Saints get abused for a bounty system...basically crucified by the NFL, yet the Patriots grossly cheated and got away with it for the most part. They deserved similar punishment for this stuff.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
I haven't read the entire 66 pages of stuff here so if this has been said already ignore this post...

Friend of mine who is also a Notre Dame fan believes a story he is hearing is a possible explanation of this entire story.

Te'o is gay. He and his friend created this girlfriend to help hide that fact from his teammates in the beginning. As he became more popular his teammates wanted to meet his girlfriend. That is when the car wreck and leukemia came in. When his grandmother died that gave them the idea of how to bring an end to the lies with an even greater lie, but it was better than being exposed. It almost worked, now they wonder if he will come clean and admit to being gay or go back into telling lies. Someone even said maybe Tebow will come to his aide.

No clue but did want to share this spin.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
At what point do the organizations of the other umpteen awards that he DID win begin to back away and take the awards back?
Not a fan of retroactively taking awards and honors away from players/teams. One of the dumbest things the NCAA has ever done (and that is saying a lot)!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I haven't read the entire 66 pages of stuff here so if this has been said already ignore this post...

Friend of mine who is also a Notre Dame fan believes a story he is hearing is a possible explanation of this entire story.

Te'o is gay. He and his friend created this girlfriend to help hide that fact from his teammates in the beginning. As he became more popular his teammates wanted to meet his girlfriend. That is when the car wreck and leukemia came in. When his grandmother died that gave them the idea of how to bring an end to the lies with an even greater lie, but it was better than being exposed. It almost worked, now they wonder if he will come clean and admit to being gay or go back into telling lies. Someone even said maybe Tebow will come to his aide.

If it turns out Te'o's got a real boyfriend instead of an imaginary girlfriend, they may as well go ahead and get married. Let the bunch running Notre Dame cope with that too. :eek:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011

In trying to wrap my head around this weird story it just gets stranger.

This gay stuff would explain a lot, at least that would make some sense.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

Most of the gay theory has been mentioned previously, but what in the hell does Tim Tebow have to do with this!?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That LSUfreek thing is pretty stupid IMO, not very clever. Plus, I'm sure it will be removed soon as I doubt it is considered appropriate for this board.
Sorry to offend - I removed it - didn't realize it was that offensive.

To be honest part of me feels bad for the kid.

I guess it's easy to poke fun at stuff like this but in reality we are dealing with a real person who no doubt did something he regrets.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.