Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Is there any chance any of the award associations may revoke or ask that their award be returned? Clearly, if any element of those awards was based on the character of the player, then it would seem they would be justified in asking for return of the award? If these award associations are not doing a background check or fact checking any of the hype leading up to the award, they really need to. The likes of Bush, Cam, and Teo are making a mockery of these awards.
How about the Lombardi award? Isn't that based on character, honesty, and integrity as well as playing ability.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This morning I watched "Mike & Mike" and a sportswriter from Chicago admitted he voted for Teo for Heisman but wouldn't have if he'd known it was a hoax. People like that don't need to be voting for awards. It's supposed to go to the best player, not the feel good story. Teo isn't even the best player on Got No Dame.
I would say that Tight End is ND's best player on this year's team. Are there any other players on the tea team that Got No Dame?

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Wasted a billion dollars worth of PR before the BCSCG just to become the joke-of-the-year for their program and star player. Never seen a fall so far so fast.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
http://espn.go.com/college-football...uiasosopo-confessed-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man who has been publicly identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, called a church friend in early December crying and admitted to duping the Heisman finalist, the friend told Outside the Lines Thursday.
The friend, a woman in her mid-20s, agreed to be interviewed under the condition that she not be identified, saying she was fearful for her family's safety because of the overwhelming publicity the story has generated. In the interview, she did allow for her voice to be recorded.

"He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. ... The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie," said the woman. "He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like 'I know, I know what I have to do.'
"It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to."
Notre Dame issued a news release Wednesday after Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua, Te'o's supposed girlfriend, existing.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

That is one of the best social commentaries I have read in some time. Thanks for sharing that, Dr Ablow is my new hero. He verbalized my thoughts exactly .

There have always been liars and cheats and frauds and fools, but the forces forming such people are more potent than ever, and their fakery and fraud can now go viral via the Internet and other technologies in ways previously impossible.
We are now afflicted by fiction in our lives as never before, with our very sense of what is true and what is false now threatened. And that may be the most toxic, terrifying reason why we are having trouble solving crises like the national debt, the threat posed by Iran and the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, and the obvious links between psychiatric illness, our shattered mental health system and violent crime like school shootings.
Social media, “reality” TV and technology have infected and intoxicated us such that we won’t—or, even worse—we can’t face facts, anymore.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
So what if he is the victim? He perpetuated the myth, and parlayed it into celebrity status.
The latest ESPN story I posted is very believable, especially considering that this scam by Tuasosopo has been done before. It still does not get Te'o off scott free though. He is the one, and his family, that continually talked about meeting his g/f, and also talking about her, well after the fact that she did not exist was prevalent.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
ESPN is reporting that a woman at church with the girlfriend of supposed perpetrator (Tuiosopopo) says she told her he came and confessed the whole hoax to her and said Teo was not involved. Perhaps ESPN should verify the hearsay presented by a woman that has not been vetted before they present them as fact. Haven't they already been trolled by taking someone at their word in this matter? It maybe they would like this to all go away because they look so inept after building the story up to the BCSCG.

Thoughts are not my own, taken from another site, but I agree.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
He is in love with someone he never met, ya'll don't have a problem with that? he is in love with someone he dated for over a year, known for three years and has never touched or seen? the love of his life?- Stephen A Smith

I never liked SAS before he started doing first take, but Skip Bayless paints him into corners that I find agreeable.

BTW, the girl in the pic has been IDed as Diane O'Meara. Her life has probably been thrown into turmoil

Last edited:

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
BTW, the girl in the pic has been IDed as Diane O'Meara. Her life has probably been thrown into turmoil

Turmoil?

If she is anything like me, she would find all of this hilarious!

Or

If she is anything like Katherine Webb she will be in next month's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition!

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Bill Simmons sums up the possibilities of this story nicely:

The short answer: No. If only because the whole saga was so elaborately convoluted from start to finish that this was either (a) a phenomenal hoax pulled off on someone who was phenomenally naive; (b) a snowball-type story in which Te'o got catfished, found out in the August-September range, then decided to keep embellishing the story and making things worse over just coming clean; (c) the handiwork of one of the greatest pathological liars who ever lived, and someone who was involved in the hoax the whole time; or (d) the workings of a closeted football star who invented a fake girlfriend to throw everyone off the scent, never imagining that his career and team would take off, and that the ensuing level of scrutiny ended up trapping him within this spiderweb of lies that just kept getting worse and worse. Those are the only four acceptable answers. So yes, we might not ever have a stranger sports story than this one. While we're on the subject …

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
His teammates say that he has dated several beards (real girls) while at Notre Dame. This is part of the reason that they didn't believe "Lennay" was his girlfriend - he had other girls around. Of course it is really hard to believe anything that you read about this right now.
FIFY

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.