Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
he's never BEEN wrong; there's always somebody, or something, else that caused him to be 'not right'...he's always got an excuse..
he is the biggest jerk on television.

Take that, and replace pronoun "he" with Notre Dame in general. Notre Dame has never done a thing wrong. They are the paragon of college athletics at the highest levels.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The only thing not funny about this whole thing is that the networks will do their best to give him, No Dame and themselves a pass and bury the facts.
well, they were able to get the ncaa to rule that ms. dunbar, who was a member of the touchdown club and embezzled tons of money from her employer which was used to wine and dine ND players in vegas while she was getting impregnated by one of the players, was not a booster. they've covered up rapes and sexual assaults and they made the negligent death of a student filmographer go away, so why would anyone think anything will come from this.

i have long held that the idea that "ND is good for college football" is one of the things that is essentially wrong with college football.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
After reading all of this thread, after listening to ESPN (Torture) ect...
I've came to two possible conclusions.
Either Te'o is stupid for expecting everyone to buy his BS... OR... Te'o is stupid for believing it himself. Te'o has admitted to continuing the hoax while seeking sympathy during his Heisman race. That makes him a lowlife in my book.
Notre Dame was complicit in repeating the lie after they knew better.
Their interest in this is to keep from looking bad... ND looks bad.
The TV media has done all they can to build up this lie as the story of the year.
Even after learning it is a hoax, they continue to make excuses for Manti Te'o...
The Media's stake in this is they don't want to look bad. They look bad.
Finally Manti's father who sez that 'The Girlfriend' stayed at their house when she visited Manti... Looks real bad. Dad is a liar too.
Manti's Hawaiian 'buddy', looks really really bad. What a way to treat your friend.

The best you can get from any of this hoax is you can choose which lie to believe.
I think they are all lies. 60/40 chance.

Last edited:

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
It could be he was duped and then embarrassed about what an idiot he was that he kept the lie going. Then in order to get out of the run away lie he killed her off to end the hoax!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There are really only two possibilities (I guess a third if you believe it was a fictitious beard):

1) He knowingly schemed this character and the following death to enhance his publicity for his own career gains.

2) He was duped by people schemed against him but embellished and outright lied about the context of the relationship to increase the narrative of the story to enhance his publicity for his own career gains.

Either way, it ends with him lying to enhance his publicity...it's just a matter of whether he was a diabolical mastermind or a simple-minded idiot who played the situation to his advantage to the bitter end. The reporting on this story needs to be more frank with this simple fact. Te'o began knowingly lying at some point and the relevance of when is really ancillary. The story became a platform for him and at a bare minimum he changed the context of the relationship to make the story more romantic and tangible for the media to use.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
It could be he was duped and then embarrassed about what an idiot he was that he kept the lie going. Then in order to get out of the run away lie he killed her off to end the hoax!

That STILL makes him a piece of trash.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It does all come down to either Manti is really really stupid and a liar, or really really depraved and a liar.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
This is a bit absurd, they are allowing hearsay from an anonymous source after all this lying?
A: Notre Dame players knew this made up girlfriend wasn't really Manti's girlfriend and that he was playing it up.
B: Manti kept lying about it.

You'd think ESPN would at least have the journalistic integrity at this point to not run a story like this unless they got it from Tuiosopopo himself, or followed the multiple sources rule. They are doing their best to make this go away...
They will never learn bro, never. Today just proves it.

he's never BEEN wrong; there's always somebody, or something, else that caused him to be 'not right'...he's always got an excuse..
he is the biggest jerk on television.
Exactly, he'll play the victim until the end and most of the media will eat it up until there is HARD proof that he was involved. They will need it in writing before the believe it. We know the truth.

well, they were able to get the ncaa to rule that ms. dunbar, who was a member of the touchdown club and embezzled tons of money from her employer which was used to wine and dine ND players in vegas while she was getting impregnated by one of the players, was not a booster. they've covered up rapes and sexual assaults and they made the negligent death of a student filmographer go away, so why would anyone think anything will come from this.

i have long held that the idea that "ND is good for college football" is one of the things that is essentially wrong with college football.
You hit it on the head. As Rush Propst said on Two-A-Days: "Ding!"

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Is nice for everyone to be talking about someone other than us in controversy.

I thought the exact same thing when reading through this thread..It wasn't so long ago it seemed every bad news coming out of college football involved Bama one way or another..Don't mean to wish bad things on others..But..It sure nice when Bama isn't involved..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Or there is the unlikely possibility that he is a sad and pitiful individual.
Watched that Catfish show with my gf a few times. Most people who get duped like this are pretty sad and pitiful. He still lied about the details of the relationship and the heart-wrenching details were a large part of his publicity from it.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Exactly, he'll play the victim until the end and most of the media will eat it up until there is HARD proof that he was involved. They will need it in writing before the believe it. We know the truth.
A little ironic, isn't it, that it will take such hard proof for the media to label Te'o as anything but a victim yet, it took very little for them to buy into his fake girlfriend all while red flags were waving everywhere.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Watching the media block for him makes me really, REALLY hope the South Park guys make an episode about this. They can make some biting satire.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hey Everyone,

I haven't participated in this thread yet, but have been reading stuff as it comes out, including parts of this thread. I wrote my thoughts up for an email over lunch, and figured I would share them here too. I'm sure most of what I have to say has probably already been said but I tried to summarize the way I'm seeing it currently:

First, at this point, both Te'o and Notre Dame are caught in multiple lies, concerning the dates they claim to have discovered the hoax, and public statements or actions they made AFTER those claimed dates, still pretending the girlfriend was real. Everyone is still speculating as to what really happened, but the inconsistency in their story is becoming undeniable.

Furthermore, ND won't release the details of their investigation, and what they have said publicly fails to address much of the information contained in the original Deadspin report, the report that came out several hours BEFORE they and Te'o made their statements. I'm sorry, but ND can't expect the public to take their word on their investigation if they won't make it transparent. There's a really obvious conflict of interest, because ND had so much invested in the girlfriend story prior to all this coming out.

Besides that, the entire mainstream sports media is looking like a bunch of fools, for not doing ANY checking whatsoever on the girlfriend story in the first place (or in some cases doing the checks, and then ignoring the fact that they couldn't find a shred of evidence for the girl's existence from day one). The transcript (released yesterday) of the original Sports Illustrated interview from September is chock full of what should have been seen as obvious red flags, including very questionable statements by Te'o that weren't published at that time, and the reporter's own half-baked attempts at fact-checking that turned up nothing.

It looks like Te'o was, at best, embellishing the facts for personal gain (or allowing them to be embellished), and at worst, outright lying. He's young so you can kind of forgive him, but what he did was wrong and there should be some consequences. Then there was the media, which gave him a complete pass, transforming what could have been a little white lie into a big brown smelly one. Why did they do that? Probably because they automatically hero-worship athletes, and possibly particularly ones who play for Notre Dame. Then, when it became known internally at ND that this was a hoax, I hate to say it, but it kind of looks like they were trying to cover it up. I'm not convinced it would ever have come out, if not for Deadspin, which was a relatively unknown website before Wednesday. In my opinion Notre Dame and the media are both more culpable than Te'o in this situation, but unfortunately he's primarily the one getting his name dragged through the mud at the moment. That may change though: the situation is also lending itself to a rather unflattering comparison with the Lizzy Seeberg case, which frankly is something that ND should be ashamed of. As much as I enjoy seeing a rival get beat by Alabama, this situation has gotten really ugly, really quick.
You would have to post this when I was having to read on my mini-tablet... :D

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Or there is the unlikely possibility that he is a sad and pitiful individual.
NOPE... I'm going with He's stupid and a liar. Better yet... Stupid, maybe Gay, and a Liar...
(If this is a cover-up for his sexual preference he's over compensating)
If it's a cover-up for being 'Gay', why was he messing around with other women.
If this is a cover-up for being stupid, he just raised the bar...

So much for Manti...
Now for the rest of the cast...
I'm going with his father is stupid and a liar.
I'm going with his 'friend' is stupid and a liar.

Lastly:
Some NFL team will draft Te'o... They better hope he's smarter than he appears.
If not he will inherit the nickname of 'Flounder'...
Hope he goes to the Jets to play with Sanchez and Tebow. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.