Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
The way this is going, the next thing you know is that they will be asking the Bama OL and running backs to officially apologize to Manti for the beating that he was given in Miami...it apparently has affected his mind and memory!

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
It's official, we now have an excuse for all 3 of our wins in the BCSNCG's.... Colt McCoy injury, not playing Jarrett Lee and Te'o's imaginary girlfriend....who he didn't find out until 2 days ago she was fake....but none the less, affected his play.

L freakin' O L

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
So when does Deadspin counter the latest espn/Manti spin since it denounces their theories in their orig article?

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Appears in Fox News picture that Te'o is discreetly giving the bird with his right hand.

Has Barrett Jones commented? I wonder if the story is true that Te'o carried his suitcase for him because BJ was on crutches.
I think the Mormon tag is folly. No mission? The religious tag is primarily used when it is beneficial for PR purposes.

Wonder what kind of family he comes from. Apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree.
If I'm on the ND board of trustees, I'm firing the AD and President immediately for being complicit, and doing a real investigation with someone like Freeh and seeing who else is involved. This cloud will hang over ND for a long time, especially if the alleged sexual assault stories get legs.

You can't make this stuff up!

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
Below is an excerpt from Ted Miller's article on ESPN about the most recent Teo interview. It pretty much reflects my view, but he writes it better. Hard to believe someone at ESPN is expressing doubt.

"Can we completely buy in to Te'o's account? It's important to note that since the story broke, Te'o has been huddled with advisors. His agent, Tom Condon, has every sort of public relations, crisis management professional on his speed dial. The prime directive of this brain trust is not to provide you the honest and entire truth. It is to ferret out a plausible version of events that best protects Te'o's interests. Without, of course, getting caught in an obvious lie."

bondsdw

Scout Team
Jan 26, 2007
I've got to admit, after being very skeptical at first, I buy Te'o's version of the story. He admitted lying to his Dad about meeting her, and the way he described it happening seems completely reasonable (they planned to meet, girl doesn't show up, Dad asks how it went, Te'o lies and says it went well out of embarrassment). The same goes for the way he presented his story as having already met her so that people didn't think 'he was a crazy dude.' I get that too. Not condoning it, of course, but it makes sense. From the interview and what people have said about Te'o's personality, he certainly seems like the type of guy who is nice and gullible enough to keep believing this story. His revelation that he wasn't convinced Kekua wasn't real until two days ago (!) lends credence to this idea. And then you can add to that the repeated allegations coming to light against Tuiasosopo. To my eyes, at least, the idea that a trusting, overly nice guy was gullible enough to buy this hoax, smudged a few details because he knew how ridiculous it was, and then more or less lost control as it blew out of proportion is way more plausible than Te'o being some sort of master charlatan who took advantage of his own grandmother's death and continually tricked friends, media, and family with fake emotion in some desperate attempt for PR. I'm definitely not saying he is innocent (he still told lies along the way), but I am now convinced that he wasn't in on it. Just my two cents, though.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Last night I threw in a newly obtained copy of the 1991 Orange Bowl (Colorado vs Notre Dame). One of the most hilarious things I'd ever seen ensued (I remembered this) and exemplifies the exact same thing going on right now with Yankee Dame.

In 1990, Notre Dame's Raghib "The Rocket" Ismail finished as the runner-up for the Hype-man Trophy. Rocket got a lot of hype for the award, which is why he finished second. Had he played for Kansas State back then - nobody would have ever heard of him even with the same stats. But here's what was so funny. Dick Enberg and Bill Walsh were talking about Colorado WR Mike Prichard, who some were calling "The Rocket of the Rockies." Then they put up this hilarious graphic:

Rush (Yds) Avg TD
Prichard 445 15.3 5
Ismail 537 8.0 0

which was followed by this even funnier one:

Receiving Avg TD
Prichard 28 26.2 6
Ismail 32 21.8 2

So a look at the rushing and receiving stats shows that Prichard AVERAGES nearly TWICE as many rush yards in fewer carries and has FIVE TDs to none. And they show that Prichard has four fewer catches but has over 4 yards per catch more (which would make up for it) and THREE TIMES as many TDs. Realizing he now had egg on his face, Enberg decided to point out why these statistics - which CLEARLY show Prichard to be superior - could not be true.

So Enberg said - verbatim quote - "And it's in the kick returns where Ismail makes up the difference." So then we got this graphic:

Returns Avg TD
Prichard 17 19.1 0
Ismail 27 18.0 1

By this time I'm in the floor howling. Prichard shared kick returning duties that year with Dave McCloughan. And Notre Dame gave up 30 more points than Colorado, which could translate into anywhere from 5-10 more kickoff return chances for Ismail. Plus, Colorado ran a wishbone and their star was Eric Bienemy, who finished third in the Heisman voting. Yet in all this hub-bub, Mike Prichard's stats were EVERY BIT as good as Ismail's and IN EVERY CASE SUPERIOR (better avg, more TDs).

Of course, Enberg was NOT to be denied, so he tried to say that those stats don't show the yards that Ismail costs teams who intentionally kick away from him. Pathetic.

Ismail finished second in the Heisman voting and some said he was robbed; Prichard - not even in the top ten.

Why? Because Ismail got the hype. Why? Because he played for Notre Dame. Let me point out that Chris Zorich would have been a more worthy Heisman candidate than Ismail was.

Now fast forward to today. We have an overrated linebacker whose only claim to fame is he's at Notre Dame. He was nowhere close to the best linebacker Alabama faced. (Or Michigan - insert Clowney video here). But he got the hype. And the hype now turns out to be even more inflated than we thought.

The one that set me off was Mike Greenberg saying that he just could not bring himself to believe that Jack Swarbrick was in on it. Really? I would have thought that naievete would have worn off after the Penn State-Sandusky scandal. And shame on ESPN for not reporting it when they knew BEFORE THE GAME that it was a hoax. Oh.......wasn't ESPN the same group stirring the pot saying Saban was leaving? Yes, I believe they were. Even Bama-hater Brando didn't say that.

EDITED TO ADD:
Oh, and Colorado played an extra game might I add.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I've got to admit, after being very skeptical at first, I buy Te'o's version of the story. He admitted lying to his Dad about meeting her, and the way he described it happening seems completely reasonable (they planned to meet, girl doesn't show up, Dad asks how it went, Te'o lies and says it went well out of embarrassment). The same goes for the way he presented his story as having already met her so that people didn't think 'he was a crazy dude.' I get that too. Not condoning it, of course, but it makes sense. From the interview and what people have said about Te'o's personality, he certainly seems like the type of guy who is nice and gullible enough to keep believing this story. His revelation that he wasn't convinced Kekua wasn't real until two days ago (!) lends credence to this idea. And then you can add to that the repeated allegations coming to light against Tuiasosopo. To my eyes, at least, the idea that a trusting, overly nice guy was gullible enough to buy this hoax, smudged a few details because he knew how ridiculous it was, and then more or less lost control as it blew out of proportion is way more plausible than Te'o being some sort of master charlatan who took advantage of his own grandmother's death and continually tricked friends, media, and family with fake emotion in some desperate attempt for PR. I'm definitely not saying he is innocent (he still told lies along the way), but I am now convinced that he wasn't in on it. Just my two cents, though.
I have some really nice bridges to sell. Get with me by PM and I'll set you up with some great deals. Also have some swamp land available and can let you in on a deal to get money from a Nigerian prince that needs help.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I don't buy ANY of his story. Dude is a liar and ND is too. So he didn't know till two days ago? Check. Makes the ND athletic director and their whole investigation in December a lie.

And as one poster pointed out - his so called fake GF affected his performance in the BCS game, where everything was on the line, but he played the game of his life after learning his grandmother and girlfriend both passed away within a few hours of each other? It's a total lie, on top of a lie, on top of a lie.

I wouldn't draft this drama queen at any spot, in any round.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I think I tend to agree with you....but still a little unsure.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
ust my two cents, though.
Have you ever been caught repeating a lie? You rarely want to make an even bigger deal out of it. Manti, well after everyone knows he knew his girlfriend was fake, he continued elaborating on it. Embarrassed, or caught, ok, let me show you how not to lie since Manti and his apologists don't know.

Reporter: Can you tell me about your girlfriend?
Manti: You mean the one I have now?
Reporter: No, the dead one.
Manti: That is a very sad time in my life and I would like to put it behind me.
Reporter: You don't want to talk about it?
Manti: It's not something I feel comfortable talking about any more. It is very personal.

Viola! This is what a non pathetic low life piece of crap could have done, if he was still trying to save face. The idea that he just had to keep lying is utter ridiculousness. Manti kept lying because he wanted the attention and the accolades and while there might have been a hoax somewhere along the line, Manti clearly hijacked it for publicity.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Anyone at this point after all the lies, revisions of the story, etc that believe Te'o is innocent are as gullible as Te'o is claiming to be.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
---snip---

As a fan of college football, I'm ticked off of the awards this guy racked up because you know at least some of the people voted for him based on sympathy and took away players that had equally impressive seasons, equal or better ability, as well as displaying better character than this guy.

Hey Cat - good call - this is a very important component of the situation which hasn't been discussed very much to date. Historically we've seen a multitude of examples where teams and/or players have been stripped of their achievements when cheating and/or rule infractions have been discovered.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out going forward.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Here is a list of his career highlights and awards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manti_Te%27o

I've never been too keen on stripping away stuff but I think sometimes you have to consider preserving the integrity of the sport.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
ESPN is not being completely monolithic about the issue. In addition to Rece, Scott Simon had a writer from ESPN on, Bryant, I think, and when Simon put the question to him, he said that he didn't buy T'eo's story - too many inconsistencies...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.