Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
ESPN is not being completely monolithic about the issue. In addition to Rece, Scott Simon had a writer from ESPN on, Bryant, I think, and when Simon put the question to him, he said that he didn't buy T'eo's story - too many inconsistencies...
I just saw the interview on espn and I thought the same. Doesn't add up.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
Just ESPN trying to spin it to save their own face and can only do that by trying to put a better face on Te'o. iyam

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Have you ever been caught repeating a lie? You rarely want to make an even bigger deal out of it. Manti, well after everyone knows he knew his girlfriend was fake, he continued elaborating on it. Embarrassed, or caught, ok, let me show you how not to lie since Manti and his apologists don't know.

Reporter: Can you tell me about your girlfriend?
Manti: You mean the one I have now?
Reporter: No, the dead one.
Manti: That is a very sad time in my life and I would like to put it behind me.
Reporter: You don't want to talk about it?
Manti: It's not something I feel comfortable talking about any more. It is very personal.

Viola! This is what a non pathetic low life piece of crap could have done, if he was still trying to save face. The idea that he just had to keep lying is utter ridiculousness. Manti kept lying because he wanted the attention and the accolades and while there might have been a hoax somewhere along the line, Manti clearly hijacked it for publicity.

Exactly, OJ Simpson probably still believes he never killed Nicole and Ron Goldman. He's told himself that so many times that it has become the truth to him. He may have duped but there is no doubt he went way beyond the truth himself. She is the "love of his life" and yet he says he didn't go visit her at the hospital because "I don't know, I was in school"??? He helped turn this into a media sensation and then just went along for the ride making it bigger and bigger.

He also just found out 2 days ago she wasn't real? But ND is saying they were told on Dec 26th she wasn't real? If this guy was on a witness stand a lawyer would tear him apart.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
How about doing an interview but not live. People can't judge your reactions...ESPN and Manti handlers can edit. Seriously, just worse than bad, but people will believe most anything (see last election).

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Some of you people who keep wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt need to review some of the facts. You are going to be easy marks for con men.

I know, he seems so nice. They all do. There's a lot of people out there who seem really nice, genuine, and caring, but inside they are really enjoying the hold they have over people, and love keeping people fooled. I've known a few people like this and it took a lot of evidence to convince me what was really going on with them.

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
I still stand by the 22 May tweet as being the smoking gun: Manti retweet of and tweet to Ronaiah account: “@iWorship: Hawaii is callin my name.” sole u gotta come down." In the Thamel interview, Manti stated that Mid-May they were telling him, as he prepared to fly to Hawaii that she was having her plug pulled. One week later, we are to believe that he is inviting fake brother to come down and see him and that fake brother had Hawaii callin his name a week after his sister had almost died?????? RIGHT!!!!!!!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I guess I'm just not as interested in this whole issue as most. I've read bits of a couple of articles, but I keep finding myself not really caring about any of it.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It is typical of those that are caught doing something wrong to claim that THEY are the victim. THEY did what they did because of something bad that happened to them. It is a constant thing in today's society.

Te'o says that he told the lies about meeting Kakua to avoid embarrassment. However at some point the lies began to create value for him in sympathy and publicity and then they "earned" him a trip to numerous award ceremonies and summarily he won many of the awards. Regardless of whether he was duped or not, he began to profit from them and he continued them knowing that he was receiving all of these "benefits" because of his lies.

If he was truly duped by Tuiasosopo and believed that this girl was real and that she had died, he could have simply stated that a woman who he had only conversed with online and on the phone, but had come to care for, had died. Of course, in our society an exclusively online relationship is not considered as "authentic" as a conventional truly face-to-face relationship and he would not have garnered as much sympathy. This provides another motive for his lying to lead the public to believe that he had a more conventional relationship with Kakua.

I don't think that I could live with myself knowing that as I was lying through my teeth, people were genuinely feeling sympathy for me. Once I started winning awards that I most likely would not have won without the lies, I would have felt even worse. Swarbrick is a fool if he believes this guy is such a moral paragon.

tmv85

All-SEC
I still stand by the 22 May tweet as being the smoking gun: Manti retweet of and tweet to Ronaiah account: “@iWorship: Hawaii is callin my name.” sole u gotta come down." In the Thamel interview, Manti stated that Mid-May they were telling him, as he prepared to fly to Hawaii that she was having her plug pulled. One week later, we are to believe that he is inviting fake brother to come down and see him and that fake brother had Hawaii callin his name a week after his sister had almost died?????? RIGHT!!!!!!!
So many stories have been told, but I was thinking Ronaiah was LK's cousin, not a brother. I thought her brother was Noa or Koa or something like that. Of course, Noa or Koa would be fake as well...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
ESPN is not being completely monolithic about the issue. In addition to Rece, Scott Simon had a writer from ESPN on, Bryant, I think, and when Simon put the question to him, he said that he didn't buy T'eo's story - too many inconsistencies...
For someone who doesn't watch ESPN much at all, you sure seem to watch ESPN a lot ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Exactly, OJ Simpson probably still believes he never killed Nicole and Ron Goldman.
If there weren't two dead bodies in the grave, this would actually be funny. It IS accurate.

He's told himself that so many times that it has become the truth to him. He may have duped but there is no doubt he went way beyond the truth himself. She is the "love of his life" and yet he says he didn't go visit her at the hospital because "I don't know, I was in school"??? He helped turn this into a media sensation and then just went along for the ride making it bigger and bigger.

He also just found out 2 days ago she wasn't real? But ND is saying they were told on Dec 26th she wasn't real? If this guy was on a witness stand a lawyer would tear him apart.
Well, it gets weirder than that:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...who-admits-he-never-met-fake-dead-girlfriend/

Perhaps the strangest question arises from Te’o's claim to Schaap that, as explained by Schaap on air, “[r]ight up until a few hours before the Deadspin story broke two days ago [Te'o] wasn’t quite sure what happened but at that time he got a phone call from Ronaiah Tuiasospo in which he admitted that he had perpetrated this hoax and in a series of communications also apologized for it.” The notion that Te’o “wasn’t quite sure what happened” until “a few hours before” the story broke doesn’t mesh with the very clear picture painted Wednesday night by Swarbrick of extensive meetings and a private investigation with a comprehensive report, or with the reported plan by Te’o to go public with the hoax two days before the story broke.

And here's the thing - just turn over the records of these eight-hour phone calls and we can discover it.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
And here's the thing - just turn over the records of these eight-hour phone calls and we can discover it.
Yes, show me the verified phone records that indicate the 8 hour calls for months and I will believe everything Teo is saying. Everything except the hoax affected his play negatively against Alabama but not earlier in the fall after his grandmother and "the love of his life" passed away on the same day.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Anyone at this point after all the lies, revisions of the story, etc that believe Te'o is innocent are as gullible as Te'o is claiming to be.
Good line Matt. Those crisis management PR guys are damn good. I mean a guy pulls one of the largest sports hoaxs in history and they (the PR guys) are still able to muddy the waters enough that many otherwise reasonable people are starting to believe Teo is the victim. Amazing how much people need to believe in a hero ...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.