Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Finding out it may have been a hoax weeks before affected his play negatively against Bama, but hearing of her death the day of, whichever game it was, affected his game positively? ;)
Exactly..If anything affected his game..It would have been the realization that his web of lies was about to be exposed for all the world to see..And even then..Had none of this came about & all was normal during the BSC NC Game..Our Boys would've still dominated him..Even at his best..He stood absolute no chance against our Offensive Line & our RB's..He was going to be "Processed" no matter what..

CDsdad

Scout Team
Nov 20, 2007
Wayne County, MS
If it's true that dumb people are tough people, and IF all this is true and he was fooled, then Manti Te'o has to be the toughest player in college football this past season because he'd certainly be the dumbest.

And some NFL executive will be dumber than Te'o and draft him in the first round and give him a big contract.

Te'o is the Jamarcus Russell of defense.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
there will be no hard evidence released, ever. no phone records, no receipts, nothing. just a few ambiguous tweets, a lot of hearsay that news outlets will report as truth. Does anyone really believe that a reasonably intelligent man could possibly be duped for a year by con people , including a 9 y/o little girl. that the con artists would invest thousands of hours into this scheme with no monetary payback, travel to games in Palo Alto(400 miles) and Miami(2700 miles) to continue/ expand the hoax. that a guy that found the love of his life, then not visit her on her death bed, although he traveled to Hawaii and he changed planes at LAX while she was dying . that he insisted on meeting her 9y/o cousin after her death, but not LK while she was alive. ?

I am sorry. this is ridiculous. I am out. until something substantial breaks, I am done with this story and this thread. I leave it confident in my opinion that Manti Te'o is a sick, confused liar tugging on the heartstrings of the American public for attention to himself and the sympathy for post season awards. The only question to me, as many SI departments concoct media blitzes for Heisman campaigns, was NotA Dame complicit? With Swarbricks crying charade, I think that is a fair question.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If it's true that dumb people are tough people, and IF all this is true and he was fooled, then Manti Te'o has to be the toughest player in college football this past season because he'd certainly be the dumbest.

And some NFL executive will be dumber than Te'o and draft him in the first round and give him a big contract.

Te'o is the Jamarcus Russell of defense.
T'eo is faking being dumb. Russell was not... :D

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I am sorry. this is ridiculous. I am out. until something substantial breaks, I am done with this story and this thread. I leave it confident in my opinion that Manti Te'o is a sick, confused liar tugging on the heartstrings of the American public for attention to himself and the sympathy for post season awards. The only question to me, as many SI departments concoct media blitzes for Heisman campaigns, was NotA Dame complicit? With Swarbricks crying charade, I think that is a fair question.
I'm with you. At this point, the only interest I have is will the blathering media idiots, who bit hard and swallowed, and could have exposed the fraud, much sooner, will be held accountable.

Of course, they won't.

But, if they do, they can just go on Okra Windbag, cry crocodile tears, and ask forgiveness. Get yer hankies............

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It's pretty well established at this point that Te'o is a liar who played this story for personal gain. Now, what about ND? Incompetent with their investigation? Or complicit? That may just be the bigger story and perhaps they are encouraging Te'o to keep talking to keep the spotlight off of themselves (not that Manties needs any encouragement)?

crimbru

1st Team
Sep 15, 2011
Brussels, Belgium
The level of journalism is BAD.... An SI author used the USA today article to make Manti look good, but the article makes him look bad because the cousin was diagnosed in August-- not June like fake girlfriend....... Deadspin is the only place I have seen to catch the little details popping up all over.....

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It's pretty well established at this point that Te'o is a liar who played this story for personal gain. Now, what about ND? Incompetent with their investigation? Or complicit? That may just be the bigger story and perhaps they are encouraging Te'o to keep talking to keep the spotlight off of themselves (not that Manties needs any encouragement)?
So will ESPN place an "*" beside this year's *BCS NC? Notre Dame should have won if only Te'o's fake girlfriend hadn't died or if she had been buried in Indiana or if Te'o hadn't injured himself playing Tarzan before the game. If Te'o had played his normal game Notre Dame would have won by at least 1 point in triple overtime and his girlfriend would have been beside him after the game, giving him a fake kiss for his awesomeness.

I'm still fighting the Paul Hornung battle! He should never have won the award. If he had played for Alabama, no one would know who he was. Wasn't ND's record like 2 - 7 the year he won.

That is one reason I dislike ND to the nth degree. The media darlings in the 20th and 21st Centuries. I wish we could have played them enough this year to at least have a winning record against them.

They need to join the SEC so they will know what Big Boy football is all about. This year Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Vanderbilt, maybe Tennessee, Ole Sis, Mittittippi Tate, Texas A & M, LSU, and possibly the Barn would have beaten them. Kentucky would have possibly taken them to triple OT. Oh! I almost forgot, Missouri may have put a whipping on them behind the wood shed.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Doyel's latest. Pretty good...

LINK
Personally, I don't believe this:

I think he already had told people -- family and teammates for sure, possibly even the media -- about his "girlfriend," and he wasn't about to admit his gullibility to friends, loved ones and strangers. So he panicked. In the hours after his grandmother died, he decided to mourn two losses instead of one: He told people that Kekua had died, too.
I don't believe it because he would've been jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire by making the story even more public than it already was. Also, he continued to play up this story line with the media thereafter instead of deemphasizing it. Te'o did not behave as a panicked individual in my opinion.

I wonder why he has not yet publicly denounced the friend who allegedly deceived him.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
In the court of law, it is innocent until proven guilty.
Even that is not TECHNICALLY true or else we could never try anybody. There is at least SOME DEGREE of PROBABLE GUILT assumed by the prosecutor or no trial would happen. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal fiction only - it serves no other realistic purpose.
Yep.

By the time it reaches a court of law, there have already been several "trials" to determine probable guilt. First, a law enforcement officer (if caught in the act) or a judge (in the case of a warrant) makes a decision as to whether one should be arrested. Then a prosecutor determines if charges should be pressed. Then a preliminary hearing determines if the case should proceed to a grand jury. Then the grand jury decides if the case should go to trial.

If a case has gone through all of these points of process and goes to trial, the state is fairly sure that you are guilty... or the REC is rather displeased with you. :biggrin2:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
You know things are bad when your best excuse is " i got catfished ".
Makes you look like a fool even if people believe you LOL.

IMO, he's been lying his butt off for awhile, all that love of my life stuff was way overboard for someone you didn't meet, and never bothered to go see in person.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I just turned on the all star game on espn 2. Within a couple minutes, they already mentioned him as being a victim. So I turned it right off. I can't wait till we don't have to hear his name again.

100%Crimson

All-SEC
Feb 4, 2004
I can't believe he didn't ask one of his buddies or even his family to help him go see her when he learned she was so ill. I don't know anyone that wouldn't move mountains to go see the love of their life knowing they were seriously ill and could die. That one fact just baffles me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.