Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igation-was-lacking-in-many-respects/related/
And now we find their investigation was a bigger hoax than the girlfriend.
According to the South Bend Tribune, a university spokesman admits that the investigators conducted no interviews.. The firm didn’t interview Te’o or his family.. The firm didn’t attempt to contact the admitted perpetrator of the hoax, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
The firm didn’t examine cell phone records to confirm Te’o's claim of eight-hour phone conversations with the person posing as Lennay Kekua.. The firm also didn’t look at emails or other electronic communications that would demonstrate the length and extent of the communications between Te’o and the person(s) playing the role of Kekua.
I used to work for a chief that was like that.
He always wanted you to give his opinion as your own. A few idiots did.

Here's hopping ND pays out thru the 'Yazzoo' for buying the right to say an investigation was done.
Don't you just love it when it blows up in their faces. :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think what's funny is that I can buy the notion that this BEGAN as a hoax on Manti. I can even see how it can be rational that he had been led to believe she died in September. (We'll set aside the fact he never met her for the moment). The thing is that we have claims of all-night phone calls, discrepancies in dates, and the gap between him allegedly finding out and ND finding out sounds suspiciously like that 18-minute gap on a Watergate tape.

And here's another thing - he's not facing criminal charges so why the lawyer? He could have called "Mike & Mike" and done a phone interview right off the bat. What was his attorney gonna say?

Schaap: "We looked at your phone records for the last four years and found not one single 8-hour call to California much less two dozen of them. Can you explain that?"

Lawyer: You don't have to answer that.

In such a case the damage is done and he's exposed. I really don't care if he was hoaxed because it is clear that he continued the deception afterward.

And I think the reason a lot of Tide fans are angry ( including me) is because ESPN kept giving reports of Saban maybe leaving based on nothing but word of mouth yet sat on a story they knew was a fraud to avoid distracting Notre Dame.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I liked the quote "I 'tailored the story' to..." make it seem more real. Is that the new gen-speak for lying?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Anyone plan on actually watching the Couric interview? I will not but there might be some delusional people out there that actually believe this kid is truly a “victim”.
As a side note I took a poop the other day that was at least 2 or 3 Courics. This interview might be a bigger steaming pile.

Last edited:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
It might be unpopular, but I believe he was tricked. For me, it boils down to whether you believe he is gullible or "dumb" enough to fall for such a scheme. I do believe just that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It might be unpopular, but I believe he was tricked. For me, it boils down to whether you believe he is gullible or "dumb" enough to fall for such a scheme. I do believe just that.
He may have been tricked. But his claim of 8-hour phone calls could easily be substantiated. In fact, it's possible (however unlikely) that he did talk for 8 hours to someone he thought was a gal. But when you have guys on the team saying they knew back yonder it was fake - doesn't help the case.

What about the guy on the Cardinals who insists she's real? Do you believe him?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He may have been tricked. But his claim of 8-hour phone calls could easily be substantiated. In fact, it's possible (however unlikely) that he did talk for 8 hours to someone he thought was a gal. But when you have guys on the team saying they knew back yonder it was fake - doesn't help the case.

What about the guy on the Cardinals who insists she's real? Do you believe him?
The guy with the Cardinals is just trying to take the pressure off a fellow Samoan. That, or he's badly confused. I also agree that MT may have been duped in the beginning, but there's just no way on earth it continued until recently. As far as the eight hour phone calls, that's so bogus I can't believe anyone would swallow it. Maybe somewhere along the way, he'll admit how much "tailoring" he did. The calls were definitely "tailored."

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
It think admitting to the tailoring now is best move and just drop it. He was probably duped, suspected it, and did his own make believe act as well. Just fess up and move on, give the usually will grow and learn from this; of course he might delay until after the draft.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
What I am simply asking is how many pages can a thread go. Right now there are 89 pages....
Can you go to a gazillion pages?
No limit... :D
Pragmatically speaking there's no limit.
I think I hear a challenge.
I'll answer the challenge.

The number of pages is only limited by the number of posts that can be uniquely referenced in the vBulletin software. There's nothing really persisted in the data regarding a page other than one or more page size configuration settings. The pages may be cached on the server for improved performance, but that's not a vBulletin feature.

The number of posts is limited in an absolute sense by the data type that is used as an identifier for each unique post. I assume that vBulletin uses Globally Unique IDs, so the maximum number of posts that could be stored for a single implementation of vBulletin software (such as Tidefans.com) would be:

So, if all of these posts were on a single thread, divide that number by the configured page size and that gives you your maximum number of pages.

However, displaying the actual number of pages in a post might actually be the breaking point because that would be displayed as an integer (32 or 64-bit) and the maximum number that a 64 bit integer could handle would be
18,446,744,073,709,551,616. The page size that would correspond to that number of pages and the maximum number of posts would be almost as large as that number itself, which would make the page impossible to load in a typical browser and even store in application memory on a typical PC.

Also, the amount of storage required to support that number of posts would be cost prohibitive for Tidefans and searches could 10 to 15 minutes due to the size of the indices.

So, for practical purposes, as TIDE-HSV and crimsonaudio pointed out, the limit can be considered beyond the scope of consideration.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If he was tricked, then why after finding that out did he continue to talk about it as if it was true? At the Heisman ceremony he talked about his dead girlfriend when Chris Fowler interviewed him.

Like most liars, he looked away from Fowler when he talked about her.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.