Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Anyone plan on actually watching the Couric interview? I will not but there might be some delusional people out there that actually believe this kid is truly a “victim”.
As a side note I took a poop the other day that was at least 2 or 3 Courics. This interview might be a bigger steaming pile.
Wow! You must have had a huge Fourthmeal to get 2 to 3 Courics out of it. Gotta wonder how many Courics a Warmack Mugshots trip would produce.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I believe he was duped too now. The issue is that he took his own liberties to make his online-only relationship seem more tangible and a better story for television. Regardless of whether he was embarrassed about having a pen pal he loved, he lied a good bit himself. The good doesn't wash away the bad nor the bad wash away the good.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igation-was-lacking-in-many-respects/related/

And now we find their investigation was a bigger hoax than the girlfriend.

According to the South Bend Tribune, a university spokesman admits that the investigators conducted no interviews.. The firm didn’t interview Te’o or his family.. The firm didn’t attempt to contact the admitted perpetrator of the hoax, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.

The firm didn’t examine cell phone records to confirm Te’o's claim of eight-hour phone conversations with the person posing as Lennay Kekua.. The firm also didn’t look at emails or other electronic communications that would demonstrate the length and extent of the communications between Te’o and the person(s) playing the role of Kekua.
Wow...hard to say which was shorter...ND's investigation of it or Manti's grieving period after his gf "died".
What a crock.

Someone posted this in the comments section of that article and I thought summed it up nicely...

Wow ….. they didn’t interview Te’o, they didn’t interview Tuiasosopo, they didn’t look at electronic evidence (e-mails, texts, phine records) …….
So, Notre Dame paid for a “professional” investigation, that was as “fake” as Lennay Kekua herself?
Very fitting …. how else do you investigate a fake girlfriend, than with a fake investigation?
:biggrin:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I believe he was duped too now. The issue is that he took his own liberties to make his online-only relationship seem more tangible and a better story for television. Regardless of whether he was embarrassed about having a pen pal he loved, he lied a good bit himself. The good doesn't wash away the bad nor the bad wash away the good.
I still just wish the media would do their job for once.

Was he misled to a certain extent? Probably, but no one made him lie.

He could have covered things up fairly well without lying, instead he went the opposite route. He created details that obviously were never true, this was the love of his live, they were on the phone all night, they met, etc, etc, etc...

His own teammates knew he was exaggerating the relationship, and that's the most irritating thing of this. Not that he had a fake girlfriend, not even that he lied, but that he and the media went into this hugely unethical and blatantly false effort to create sympathy. He played through the adversity of his girlfriend dying, even if she wasn't really his girlfriend, and he wasn't really very upset, and she wasn't really the love of his life, and they never really met, and the media could find no proof she existed... nothing would stop that narrative, because neither the media nor Manti wanted it to stop.

Now, the narrative is he's the victim and for the most part the media is just steamrolling over the facts again to serve that narrative.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wonder how the media would react if it was uncovered that McCarron and Miss Webb's relationship was all for show? What if Katherine Webb simply agreed to a setup where she could use the national title game as a platform to enhance her career and AJ knew it wasn't a real relationship from the outset?

You think AJ would get skewered for it? I bet so.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Once again...

Manti was not duped. His "bro" that he wants to come hang with him in Hawaii did not spend 4 years hoaxing him - spending hours of time chatting/texting/phoning/bringing in other actors for zero reason and/or gain. He also didn't pull people up to watch his interviews because "he got a kick out of it" when he was "mourning" the dead love of his life.

Deadspin said:
Te'o and Tuiasosopo definitely know each other. In May 2012, Te'o was retweeting Tuiasosopo, who had mentioned going to Hawaii. Wrote Te'o, "sole"—"bro," in Samoan—"u gotta come down." In June, Te'o wished Tuiasosopo a happy birthday. How they know each other isn't clear. We spoke to a woman we'll call Frieda, who had suggested on Twitter back in December that there was something fishy about Lennay Kekua.
Unfortunately the full truth will likely never come out, because pathological liars like Te'o always think they can just continue lying until they come out scott free on the other side & judging by how quick so many people are to believe them they're probably not that far wrong in thinking so.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll answer the challenge.

The number of pages is only limited by the number of posts that can be uniquely referenced in the vBulletin software. There's nothing really persisted in the data regarding a page other than one or more page size configuration settings. The pages may be cached on the server for improved performance, but that's not a vBulletin feature.

The number of posts is limited in an absolute sense by the data type that is used as an identifier for each unique post. I assume that vBulletin uses Globally Unique IDs, so the maximum number of posts that could be stored for a single implementation of vBulletin software (such as Tidefans.com) would be:

So, if all of these posts were on a single thread, divide that number by the configured page size and that gives you your maximum number of pages.

However, displaying the actual number of pages in a post might actually be the breaking point because that would be displayed as an integer (32 or 64-bit) and the maximum number that a 64 bit integer could handle would be
18,446,744,073,709,551,616. The page size that would correspond to that number of pages and the maximum number of posts would be almost as large as that number itself, which would make the page impossible to load in a typical browser and even store in application memory on a typical PC.

Also, the amount of storage required to support that number of posts would be cost prohibitive for Tidefans and searches could 10 to 15 minutes due to the size of the indices.

So, for practical purposes, as TIDE-HSV and crimsonaudio pointed out, the limit can be considered beyond the scope of consideration.
We've just moved to 64 bit with this last upgrade...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've watched Katie Couric. Painful, at best.
Those two dim bulbs won't shed much illumination on the story.
She's a living example that looks can only carry you so far...
Of course the handlers of Manti, don't want a smart interviewer.
Katie will follow a preplanned outline, designed to make her and Manti look good. (IMPOSSIBLE)
I won't watch her interview.

PS: That's my sugar coated opinion.

Last edited:

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I still just wish the media would do their job for once.

Was he misled to a certain extent? Probably, but no one made him lie.

He could have covered things up fairly well without lying, instead he went the opposite route. He created details that obviously were never true, this was the love of his live, they were on the phone all night, they met, etc, etc, etc...

His own teammates knew he was exaggerating the relationship, and that's the most irritating thing of this. Not that he had a fake girlfriend, not even that he lied, but that he and the media went into this hugely unethical and blatantly false effort to create sympathy. He played through the adversity of his girlfriend dying, even if she wasn't really his girlfriend, and he wasn't really very upset, and she wasn't really the love of his life, and they never really met, and the media could find no proof she existed... nothing would stop that narrative, because neither the media nor Manti wanted it to stop.

Now, the narrative is he's the victim and for the most part the media is just steamrolling over the facts again to serve that narrative.
Exactly right. The media failed to exercise one of the most basic tenets of journalism.

It's not just sports media, either. It's true in every aspect of journalism, be it politics, foreign affairs, sports, pop culture, what have you.

When a gossip blog like Deadspin does a better job of checking facts and exploring sources' credibility, what does that tell you about the veracity of the stories you read/hear in today's mass media?

My History of Journalism 305 professor is rolling in his grave over this.

History itself is written by the journalists who cover the events of the time. If our journalists aren't exercising the simplest and most fundamental principles of their craft, it means the stories people read about us 50, 100 or 1,000 years hence will have a reliability level far below that of the Yellow Journalism of Pulitzer and Hearst, ca. 1900.

In fact, I believe that we've already sunk below that standard.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
My wife and I have talked about this whole drama pretty extensively trying to make sense of it. To us the only way it makes sense as to what transpired is to allow ourselves to consider that Teo and Tuisaopo were trying to remain "in the closet". If you are both in an environment where your preference would be frowned upon then it would seem convenient to conjure a fake personality (Lennay) to carry on a relationship through - create fake twitter and facebook accounts etc to provide cover for your relationship. If you are Teo, this was just a convenient front (or passport) to navigate your world. However, once he figured out that he could get some notoriety by embellishing the relationship with the assistance of his friend. Then and only then, can I see why would someone would do this in the first place, carry the ruse on for over 3 years, and then embellish it for a different purpose recently. Under this premise, that is the only way that I can consider the comments he made about a lover to be authenticate. Not authenticate to Lennay because we know she didnt exist, but to another person undercover. How else can you, Teo, give such clarity and detail regarding the relationship when being interviewed?

If you even try to consider it from the viewpoint that he was duped, it just doesnt make sense at all. Even among the nerdiest most reclusive people no one would continue to propagate such a relationship for such a period of time with no attempt to even stage a personal meeting. Sooner or later you get bored with and move on to another relationship.

But something tells me the way a lot of this has transpired - there is a jaded lover aspect to it, possibly. Teo is doing everything he can to manage the message, even with the help of ND. Maybe in the backchannels its elevated to a level of blackmail or extortion from the jaded lover. While I think it was inherently poor character to embellish such as relationship for publicity reasons - I can still understand why he did it. However, the minute it stops helping you - you shut it down. If you cant then there is reason you cant...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.