Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I get the same advertisement then redirection with Chrome that I got with Firefox.

I like the look of Firefox better and it's faster on my machine.
Hmm... I get it in Firefox but not in Chrome. I only use Chrome very occasionally when I need cookies. It's basically spyware...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
One of my older brothers was a navigator on a B-17 in SE England during WWII. Lot of interesting stories...
I wish there were more still around who remember those stories. I have always believed that was the best generation this country has ever produced, and I wish I could have gotten the opportunity to hear more first hand accounts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Had a cousin that was a tailgunner in the B17 for 25 missions. Lived a blessed life.
Yes, indeed he did. 25 missions as a tail gunner is amazing. On my brother's planes, they went through several tail, belly and nose gunners, although the rest of the crew survived. Their casualty rates were the highest of all. As I said, my brother was a navigator. They would "midnight requisition" flak jackets and then use them to line their compartments instead of wearing them...

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
30% sounds about right. Many thanks to your brother.
Have you studied the 8th Air Force during the earlier phases of their operations in WWII?

Over the entire course of the war, the casualty rate of the entire 8th Air Force's bomber squadrons probably was below 30%, but that was only because probably 70 to 80% of the sorties were flown after the Luftwaffe had been almost wiped out. In the early days, from late 42' to early 44', being part of a bomber crew in the 8th was almost equivalent to suicide. The introduction of the P-51 and the mounting losses of the Luftwaffe that was fighting on three fronts changed the situation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Have you studied the 8th Air Force during the earlier phases of their operations in WWII?

Over the entire course of the war, the casualty rate of the entire 8th Air Force's bomber squadrons probably was below 30%, but that was only because probably 70 to 80% of the sorties were flown after the Luftwaffe had been almost wiped out. In the early days, from late 42' to early 44', being part of a bomber crew in the 8th was almost equivalent to suicide. The introduction of the P-51 and the mounting losses of the Luftwaffe that was fighting on three fronts changed the situation.
I'd be surprised if the 8th ever dipped to 30%, even given the better survival rates later in the war. At my church, we had an elderly vet who was also in the 8th. He died about a year ago. A year or so before, I bumped into him after vet recognition and commented that I had had a brother in the 8th. He commented that they were lucky to make it back alive. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my brother had passed away from a heart attack in 1985...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.