Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I'd be surprised if the 8th ever dipped to 30%, even given the better survival rates later in the war. At my church, we had an elderly vet who was also in the 8th. He died about a year ago. A year or so before, I bumped into him after vet recognition and commented that I had had a brother in the 8th. He commented that they were lucky to make it back alive. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my brother had passed away from a heart attack in 1985...
It may not have. I spoke with a gentleman that was on a B-17 crew later in the war and he said that by the time that he was flying missions, it was pretty rare to see a German fighter because by the time that they reached the Luftwaffe fighter range, they were already in Germany and in constant flak for almost the entire time. He said that the Germans never seemed to have a shortage of the flak and that they had some casualties from it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Irish Envy has a 471 page thread on the Te'o hoax . Will someone go read it and report back ? Thanks !
"That boy's just not right in the head."

That is pathetic. Most folks have gone from "That is the funniest, and oddest, thing I have ever heard!" to "Will these people just go away?", in just a few days.

If this was NS, we could continue with the diversion, this thread has taken. Far more interesting.

"If Colt hadn't got hurt.............."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No, 300%. The entire unit turned over three times. That was a pretty standard figure for the 8th Air Force. My brother just happened to make it through...
a really good friend of mine had a grandfather that was in a crew that crash landed their bomber somewhere in switzerland after being shot up. they weren't allowed to leave til the war was over.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Yes, indeed he did. 25 missions as a tail gunner is amazing. On my brother's planes, they went through several tail, belly and nose gunners, although the rest of the crew survived. Their casualty rates were the highest of all. As I said, my brother was a navigator. They would "midnight requisition" flak jackets and then use them to line their compartments instead of wearing them...
my uncle and my dad's best friend were both tail gunners...they both said that going up in that little cubicle was the most horrifying experience of their lives. lucky for them the war ended not too long after each of them was on active duty because their survival rate was quite low. my father was an ack-ack gunner on a navy cruiser...luck would have it that the war ended about 2 weeks after he left basic. ww2 vets...heroes all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
my uncle and my dad's best friend were both tail gunners...they both said that going up in that little cubicle was the most horrifying experience of their lives. lucky for them the war ended not too long after each of them was on active duty because their survival rate was quite low. my father was an ack-ack gunner on a navy cruiser...luck would have it that the war ended about 2 weeks after he left basic. ww2 vets...heroes all.
The crew in the fuselage felt really sorry for them. Of course, the degree of danger wasn't too comfortable for them, either. When my brother first went over, they were having a high number of parachute failures. They solved that problem by selecting parachutes at random, making a parachute packer put it on and climb in a B-17. Failure rate dropped to zero. To clarify the casualty rate, I was speaking only of my brother's squadron and he was in on the first and worst of it. At the end of his tour, after VE day, there was only a handful of them left who'd started the air war, a couple of whom I got to know. All the remainder were greenhorns. 92, that was standard and not the worst which could have happened to them. Switzerland was officially neutral. Sweden was also, "officially," but leaning towards the 3rd Reich. Hitler thought several times about taking on Switzerland - narrow little valleys and a gun under every bed. Also, it was a handy money hideout for the biggest Nazis...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Great article blasting ND for the Te'o and Seeberg situations... I have always liked Jamele Hill...

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8865609
I'm glad to see someone from the mainstream picking up on how ND handled Seeburg vs. Manti. I'd like to see them include Declan as well. Te'o has essentially admitted to lying about the extent of the relationship, although he didn't use the word, and I doubt he admits to much else. I doubt much else will happen because someone will fall on the sword for him and his "tailoring" will be portrayed as simply a shy/ naive guy embarassed about an online only 'relationship.'

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
One of my older brothers was a navigator on a B-17 in SE England during WWII. Lot of interesting stories...
One of my uncles was a flight engineer with the 457th during WWII, with stories told and untold. He passed away last year; 'the greatest generation' is a pretty apropos moniker, I think.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
My uncle was a turret gunner on a TBM Avenger with VT-82 off the USS Bennington. Man by the name of Bradley wrote a book called "Flyboys" about members of his squadron. You`re right. Heroes all. And leaving us fast.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.