Page 64 of 104 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566676869707174 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    domer - I see two possibilities:

1 - Manti was a dupe at the beginning but saw a way to leverage the death of this girl to his advantage and took it. Lies begat other lies and he was never man enough to accept the consequences of those lies, so we end up here.

2 - Manti was complicit in the entire thing, from the beginning.

#1 makes him an idiot, then a liar and a coward. With #2, forget the idiot part - he becomes something much worse than an idiot and/or a coward. I very much hope it is #1.
    Either way it still says a lot about the UND.

2. Advertisement
  3. January 18th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Reason
    We're not going to wander back into that...

Re: Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

just because it hasn't yet been posted and i think it is appropriate

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Re: Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

Somewhere along the line in this story, the term "girlfriend" came to be used to identify this online whatever-it-was. It will be interesting if we can ever determine who first used this term and how they determined she was a girlfriend. Well, a girlfriend as most people would use the word.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

So, has anyone added to the popular GameDay sign?

Tebow Cried
    Cam Lied
    Some Trees Died
    LSU Tried
    Lennay Died (Or Did She?)
    RTR

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGhost View Post
    I was thinking NotA Dame
    I like your version better...

BamaNation Hall of Fame

ESPN is getting ridiculous. Trying to argue that the Notre Dame AD's zealous defense of Te'o is somehow to be construed as "evidence" of Te'o's innocence is craziness. Just b/c he doesn't have eligibility left doesn't mean the AD has nothing to lose if Te'o is proven to be a liar/ fraud. And a zealous argument is proof of nothing by itself; the other big sports news is Armstrong coming clean; how many years did he zealously argue about his innocence?

ESPN is really the only sports news outlet that is not connecting the dots; whether that is voluntary or shoddy reporting/ investigation is the question.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BillDee View Post
    Somewhere along the line in this story, the term "girlfriend" came to be used to identify this online whatever-it-was. It will be interesting if we can ever determine who first used this term and how they determined she was a girlfriend. Well, a girlfriend as most people would use the word.
    Yeah one thing I picked up from the Notre Dame boards is a lot of them remembered her being mentioned as a personal friend then all of a sudden it became a gf. To me it is possible they never really were dating he just had this person he thought was his friend and he saw an opportunity after she died to blow her up into something she wasn't. The question at that point would be whether he knew she was fake at that point or not. Either one of those would make him look bad.

BamaNation Second Team big_fan78's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Something that I don't understand is, there are reports that people sent flowers to the address given to them for the funeral. That adderess would have to be in Cali and if so, wouldn't that mean somewhere there was a funeral home or person getting flowers from Notre Dame? Wouldn't that place try to get in touch with Notre Dame tell them know the address was not correct.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar

This was no ordinary girlfriend.... "she" was the "love of his life."

But it's cool if "she"'s in the hospital dying, just fly on home to Hawaii and not worry about stopping in to check on the bees knees dream girl soulmate.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    This was no ordinary girlfriend.... "she" was the "love of his life."

But it's cool if "she"'s in the hospital dying, just fly on home to Hawaii and not worry about stopping in to check on the bees knees dream girl soulmate.

This is another hole in his story. Since didn't she get in the "accident" in April? Why didn't he use his down time in the off season to visit his dying GF?
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Te'o is in on it and is Gay and I have no problem with that. But then there is this sad part about her death that is too much. All he has to do is say they broke up and stop communicating online. I think this over coming adversity with the death of his girlfriend helped Te'o with Heisman votes and he knew about it and played it up bigtime.
    I'm not buying this argument as being the reason for the hoax. A UND student has already posted an article that claims it was well known that he dated girls on campus.

http://collegespun.com/big-east/notr...x#.UPlfQWdRSAI

"The debate among teammates wasn’t whether or not Manti actually knew this girl — it was clear that they had been in contact; no, players just didn’t think that it was fair to call Lennay Kekua Manti’s girlfriend, period (it is well-known on campus that he has had relations with other girls during his time at Notre Dame).

If he was trying to cover up a lifestyle, would it not be much easier to use an actual female student on campus to "date" rather than to use a fake one, play-up a coma, then subsequent death to leukemia?
    Last edited by Hoot30; January 18th, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

That quote proves nothing...

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    That quote proves nothing...
    It all depends on whom to believe. But, the angle that he was covering up a lifestyle is speculation at this point.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772