Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
domer - I see two possibilities:

1 - Manti was a dupe at the beginning but saw a way to leverage the death of this girl to his advantage and took it. Lies begat other lies and he was never man enough to accept the consequences of those lies, so we end up here.

2 - Manti was complicit in the entire thing, from the beginning.

#1 makes him an idiot, then a liar and a coward. With #2, forget the idiot part - he becomes something much worse than an idiot and/or a coward. I very much hope it is #1.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Reminds me a lot of the 'SCAMGATE' Thread...
The Waters boiling and somethings is starting to stink up the place.
Nobody at ND is gonna get out of this without getting a little on them. :)

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Is there any chance any of the award associations may revoke or ask that their award be returned? Clearly, if any element of those awards was based on the character of the player, then it would seem they would be justified in asking for return of the award? If these award associations are not doing a background check or fact checking any of the hype leading up to the award, they really need to. The likes of Bush, Cam, and Teo are making a mockery of these awards.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This morning I watched "Mike & Mike" and a sportswriter from Chicago admitted he voted for Teo for Heisman but wouldn't have if he'd known it was a hoax. People like that don't need to be voting for awards. It's supposed to go to the best player, not the feel good story. Teo isn't even the best player on Got No Dame.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
So if a pedophile was lurking within the athletic department at ND, after all we have seen in this, is there anyone within the department that would have enough character to out that person?

I think we should feel grateful this is not about a more serious situation as I believe those are some dangerous folks...

Dangerous folks that feel above the law. unfortunately and tragically , pedophile and the catholic church go hand in hand. bad example.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

1 - Manti was a dupe at the beginning but saw a way to leverage the death of this girl to his advantage and took it. Lies begat other lies and he was never man enough to accept the consequences of those lies, so we end up here.

#1 makes him an idiot, then a liar and a coward. With #2, forget the idiot part - he becomes something much worse than an idiot and/or a coward. I very much hope it is #1.
Good job. So easy even a Buckeye can figure it out!!! TWO POSSIBILITIES!!!!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This morning I watched "Mike & Mike" and a sportswriter from Chicago admitted he voted for Teo for Heisman but wouldn't have if he'd known it was a hoax. People like that don't need to be voting for awards. It's supposed to go to the best player, not the feel good story. Teo isn't even the best player on Got No Dame.
Part of any award should include character......

T-boy

BamaNation Citizen
May 1, 2010
I know nothing except what I have read but this is what questions I have. You have an All American football player that doesn't date any or very few girls at Notre Dame because he supposedly has a girlfriend at Stanford. All the other football players are dating but Te'o is not interested. What does he say..... I have a girlfriend at Stanford. Lets see her picture............. Oh, here she is on twitter.

Te'o is in on it and is Gay and I have no problem with that. But then there is this sad part about her death that is too much. All he has to do is say they broke up and stop communicating online. I think this over coming adversity with the death of his girlfriend helped Te'o with Heisman votes and he knew about it and played it up bigtime.

Bottom line, a star football player doesn't stop dating college girls over a girl that doesn't exist. Do we really think Te'o had phone conversations with a girl for a year and there is some girl that actually talked on the phone with him that was in on this hoax. If so who was this girl.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Either way it still says a lot about the UND.

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
Somewhere along the line in this story, the term "girlfriend" came to be used to identify this online whatever-it-was. It will be interesting if we can ever determine who first used this term and how they determined she was a girlfriend. Well, a girlfriend as most people would use the word.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
ESPN is getting ridiculous. Trying to argue that the Notre Dame AD's zealous defense of Te'o is somehow to be construed as "evidence" of Te'o's innocence is craziness. Just b/c he doesn't have eligibility left doesn't mean the AD has nothing to lose if Te'o is proven to be a liar/ fraud. And a zealous argument is proof of nothing by itself; the other big sports news is Armstrong coming clean; how many years did he zealously argue about his innocence?

ESPN is really the only sports news outlet that is not connecting the dots; whether that is voluntary or shoddy reporting/ investigation is the question.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Somewhere along the line in this story, the term "girlfriend" came to be used to identify this online whatever-it-was. It will be interesting if we can ever determine who first used this term and how they determined she was a girlfriend. Well, a girlfriend as most people would use the word.
Yeah one thing I picked up from the Notre Dame boards is a lot of them remembered her being mentioned as a personal friend then all of a sudden it became a gf. To me it is possible they never really were dating he just had this person he thought was his friend and he saw an opportunity after she died to blow her up into something she wasn't. The question at that point would be whether he knew she was fake at that point or not. Either one of those would make him look bad.

big_fan78

Scout Team
Nov 17, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
Something that I don't understand is, there are reports that people sent flowers to the address given to them for the funeral. That adderess would have to be in Cali and if so, wouldn't that mean somewhere there was a funeral home or person getting flowers from Notre Dame? Wouldn't that place try to get in touch with Notre Dame tell them know the address was not correct.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.