Deadspin is saying Te'o's girlfriend's death was a hoax created for publicity

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had already read it also. I don't know anything about the rep of deadspin.com, but these guys appear to really have done their homework...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
If this turns out to be true It would not only remove any respect Te'o had left after getting trucked by Lacy repeatedly but it would mean the majority of the professional press from coast to coast is just about as dumb and gullible as the average garden vegetable. Did he really play them all for Heisman sympathy, and if so thank God for Johnny football for making it not work.

Last edited:

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I had already read it also. I don't know anything about the rep of deadspin.com, but these guys appear to really have done their homework...
Deadspin has broken a lot of stories over the years. They make a lot of immature posts, but when they post stuff like this it's usually thoroughly-researched.

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
Holy Moly!! If true, this is BIG! Since the sports media has so much invested in Teo, it will be interesting to see if they follow up on any of this info. This may be a case of everyone just latching on to a story and making it bigger and bigger.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, this is one of the weirdest sports stories I can think of if it's true. I'm glad it didn't come out until after the game, though.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Traditional media people like to rag on Deadspin, but I think it's obvious that they have far more journalistic integrity than a company like ESPN.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I just read the article and Deadspin definitely did their homework. It will be interesting to see how Te'o and his family respond to this but it is just mind boggling deceptive if true. Talk about going from the top to hitting the bottom in record speed. Win practically every award except the Heisman, all over ESPN, next thing you know you're crushed and exposed by Alabama, and now your "dead girlfriend" never existed.

Gotta be scary for the real girl behind those pictures. She seems pretty freaked out and rightfully so.

4thGenBamaGrad

1st Team
Nov 4, 2007
Boca Raton, FL
Evidently, from talking to a young Irish alum, there has long been skepticism on the N.D. campus about how serious the relationship really was--that it was propped up for publicity.

But no one expected this. Some think this may have just started as an attempt (made-up long-distance girlfriend) by a gay Mormon football player to stay on the DL, but went horribly off-course.

Regardless of the reasons behind this, I worry about the kid and hope he can get through this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.