Looks like 2013 is quickly shaping up to be the year of the girlfriend...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Between AJ's relatively new girlfriend who he only met for the first time in early December through Twitter, ironically, and Teo's fake girlfriend exposed publicly - its becoming alarming to me that these highly public off-the-field relationship can pose a significant distraction these teams. Given the swiftness of all the publicity I have wondered if the publicity bestowed on Ms. Webb during the NCGame was planned or expected to some degree. I dont think anyone could have expected the viralness of the exposure but you can see when the genie gets of the bottle for both of these situations can be pretty damaging or at best very distracting. I hope CNS has a plan for how to deal with this.

I remember back to the summer of 2010, we had the ESPN Training Days expose, we had the release of the GameChanger Movie and not to mention the media attention from Ingram winning the Heisman and our first NC in 17 years. I think it has been previously acknowledged the distractions were many and that players and coaches alike probably were not as focused going into 2010 because of the attention.

While, I am really excited at what the team has accomplished the last couple of years, we also are perfectly positioned to achieve something not done in the modern era - A 3-peat. However, I am not getting a good vibe from all the post-game media attention. It certainly appears the celebrity aspect of Bama's accomplishment is spilling over into mainstream media and entertainment and I dont think that is a good thing for focusing the team this year's goal or the expectation of future recruits on what it takes to maintain this level of dominance.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
You've got a good point but I take solace in a couple things:

1) This team will be focused on Texas A&M for, at the very least, revenge for this past season's loss to them at home.

2) This year's schedule looks to be extremely favorable, with seemingly no back to back games requiring very high levels of focus and execution to win.

Virginia Tech doesn't look to be a major test, especially to start the season with a hyped game on a neutral site. We'll have an off-week after that game to get ready for Texas A&M, in addition to the aforementioned revenge factor. We then have a tune-up against Colorado State at home before facing Ole Miss at home. Even with Ole Miss as an improving team, we could probably win that game relatively easily with a B- overall performance. The next four teams we'll play would each probably require a massive melt-down in order to end up with a loss, facing Georgia State, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee. With the losses that LSU has taken so far this off-season, next year looks to be a major rebuilding year for them. Plus we'll have two weeks to get ready for them, at home. LSU may very well end up being only the third or fourth toughest team on our regular season schedule. The next game, at Mississippi State, could prove to be a trap game of sorts. However, they could very easily have four losses by the time they play us, having lost two of those to South Carolina and Texas A&M the two weeks directly prior to playing us. The last two games, against Chattanooga and Auburn, should prove to be little more challenging than the last two games of this past year's regular season slate.

The biggest chance for an over-confident, focus-lacking melt-down causing a damaging loss would appear to be in the SEC Championship Game. With Saban and company running the show, I like our chances of winning both the SEC Championship Game and the BCS Championship Game - assuming we make it to either one.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
You've got a good point but I take solace in a couple things:

1) This team will be focused on Texas A&M for, at the very least, revenge for this past season's loss to them at home.

2) This year's schedule looks to be extremely favorable, with seemingly no back to back games requiring very high levels of focus and execution to win.

Virginia Tech doesn't look to be a major test, especially to start the season with a hyped game on a neutral site. We'll have an off-week after that game to get ready for Texas A&M, in addition to the aforementioned revenge factor. We then have a tune-up against Colorado State at home before facing Ole Miss at home. Even with Ole Miss as an improving team, we could probably win that game relatively easily with a B- overall performance. The next four teams we'll play would each probably require a massive melt-down in order to end up with a loss, facing Georgia State, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee. With the losses that LSU has taken so far this off-season, next year looks to be a major rebuilding year for them. Plus we'll have two weeks to get ready for them, at home. LSU may very well end up being only the third or fourth toughest team on our regular season schedule. The next game, at Mississippi State, could prove to be a trap game of sorts. However, they could very easily have four losses by the time they play us, having lost two of those to South Carolina and Texas A&M the two weeks directly prior to playing us. The last two games, against Chattanooga and Auburn, should prove to be little more challenging than the last two games of this past year's regular season slate.

The biggest chance for an over-confident, focus-lacking melt-down causing a damaging loss would appear to be in the SEC Championship Game. With Saban and company running the show, I like our chances of winning both the SEC Championship Game and the BCS Championship Game - assuming we make it to either one.
They should just start engraving that crystal ball today. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Some are picking auburn to be undefeated coming into the Iron Bowl next season. The thinking is, new head coach, better staff in place, top 5 recruiting class, favorable home schedule. I'm not seeing it. I see how the gus bus is going to magically fix everything by September.

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Some are picking auburn to be undefeated coming into the Iron Bowl next season. The thinking is, new head coach, better staff in place, top 5 recruiting class, favorable home schedule. I'm not seeing it. I see how the gus bus is going to magically fix everything by September.
that would only make crushing their spirit that much more enjoyable.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Who is saying that? And who thinks they are going to have a Top 5 recruiting class? 247Sports has them at #19. Rivals has them at #20. Scout has them at #28. ESPN has them at #12. Auburn would have to have a really great run in the last 3 weeks to jump into the top 5.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
They should just start engraving that crystal ball today. 

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic there. :)

However, when you think about it, this season shapes up - pre-season, anyway - to be our "best" chance at winning the National Championship of any of the past four seasons. Think about it... In 2009 we had a very good team returning but we had just been bested by a Florida team that had almost everyone coming back and was everyone's favorite to win the SEC, if not the NC. While we weren't necessarily coming out of left field with our success that season, winning the NC was unexpected by most. In 2010 we had a lot of talent coming back but we had lost a lot of experience and leadership and, as a result, lost a lot of focus. Add to that the fact that five of our SEC opponents, with four of them ranked, had a week off to prepare for us and a repeat was a highly unlikely scenario. Sure, many Bama were optimistic about our chances at another NC but, realistically, most of us realized it was at best a very difficult proposition. In 2011 we knew that we had a lot of talent coming back and a lot of young players who had gained a lot of invaluable experience the previous season but we also lost four 1st Round NFL Draft Picks as well as our starting Quarterback. We all pretty much felt like 2010 was a bit of a disappointment - or at least underachievement - and expected improvement in 2011 but few of us, much less the "experts", were penciling us in for the BCS National Championship Game before the season began. This past season, 2012, was expected by everyone to be a rebuilding year. Sure, we expected to have a pretty good shot at making a run for an SEC Championship and a National Championship but expecting a repeat, given the sheer amount of talent we had lost on both sides of the ball, certainly seemed like a bit much. After all, we had just lost 8 players to the NFL Draft, four of which were picked in the first round with another just three spots outside of it. Conventional wisdom says that you don't replace that much talent and just "reload" quickly and completely enough to make a run at a National Championship.

Looking at this season, at this point, gives us more reasons to expect an undefeated season than any of those previous four. Let's look at several key SEC matchups this season and compare those teams' outlooks to Bama's for this season:

Texas A&M
Texas A&M is losing their starters at what is most likely the two most important positions on the offensive line: Left Tackle and Center. They were probably a hair's breadth away from losing both of their tackles to the NFL Draft, until all of Aggie-Land breathed a sigh of relief when Jake Matthews decided to return for his Senior season. They're also losing their number one Running Back and Wide Receiver. All total, the Aggies are losing 12 starters off of last year's squad. A&M plays two cupcakes in their first two games - who shouldn't give them more than a quarter's worth of resistance, if even that - before facing Alabama. Yes, they'll have had two games to break in the new starters but real chemistry is built when teams are tested. There's always a chance that Manziel, as good as he is, will have at least somewhat of a "sophomore slump" following his amazing first season as a starter, especially given the pre-season and early-season hype and attention that will surely envelope the Heisman winner. Add to that the revenge factor, with many Bama players and coaches having likely circled this game on the calendar a couple of months ago, and you have a pretty good recipe for an Alabama win. This will almost certainly be the toughest game on our regular season schedule but I like our chances.

LSU
While LSU will still likely be the most overall talented team on our schedule for next year, they may - as I mentioned previously - quite possibly end up being only the third or fourth most difficult team we'll face in the regular season. Despite LSU fans' eternal optimism about next season, they are losing a ton of talent and leadership. In addition to their departing Seniors, 10 of their Juniors are leaving early. On offense, they are losing the starters at the same two very important positions on the Offensive Line as Texas A&M (Left Tackle and Center), two very good Running Backs, and a Tight End. On defense, though, is where the real losses are taking place with LSU losing seven starters on that side of the ball. They're losing all four starters on their Defensive Line, their most productive Linebacker, their number one Corner, and their number one safety. LSU had four defensive players earn All-American and/or All-SEC honors this past season; they are all gone. Alabama's most likely "problem-area" for this upcoming season looks to be the Offensive Line. However, LSU will be hard-pressed to take advantage of that, having lost all four starters on their Defensive Line. Throw in two weeks for Alabama to prepare for LSU, at home, and the Tide looks like a solid favorite over the Tigers this season.

Ole Miss
Wait, Ole Miss? A team that didn't really show that they belonged on the field with Alabama last season? Yes, Ole Miss. The Rebels, due mostly to the rest of the schedule being found lacking, will most likely be the second or third most difficult test for the Crimson Tide in the regular season for 2013. Ole Miss improved a lot over the course of the 2012 season under new Head Coach Hugh Freeze. If Ole Miss makes the big second-year improvement that many teams do, they could very well be the dark horse in the SEC West next season. At the end of the day, though, the presence of Ole Miss in this list points much more to the relative ease of Alabama's schedule than to Ole Miss' likely strength.

Mississipppi State
The Bulldogs are on this list for one reason and one reason alone: it's a possible trap game. Going on the road to face a fairly good SEC team a week after playing a big game like LSU at home has all the marking of a let-down game for the Tide. Of course, the Bulldogs haven't been able to show up in games where they have a shot at beaten a top-level team for several years. Until they actually prove that they can do it, though, there's no real reason to expect them to this season, either.

Comparing those teams' outlooks to Alabama's outlook and, especially, comparing the match-ups seems to be very much in Alabama's favor. Yes, Alabama is replacing a lot on the Offensive Line. The Tide is also returning a lot of experience and leadership on that side of the ball as well, including the number one rated Quarterback in the country from 2012 as well as fully stocked cupboards at the Running Back and Receiver positions. With just a little bit of growth at some key positions, the 2013 Crimson Tide Defense may end up giving the 2011 version a good run for its money as the best Alabama Defense in recent memory, at least. Alabama may quite possibly end up being double-digit favorites in all but two or three games this coming season, including the potential match-ups in an SEC Championship Game and a BCS National Championship Game appearance.

In spite of the odds against winning three in a row, look for the Crimson Tide to be virtually everyone's clear favorite to win it all in 2013 by the time fall practice rolls around. That'll be the first time in this four year run, incidentally, that you'll have been able to say that.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Yes it was tongue in cheek but I do agree with your assessment. I was actually quoting Finebaum - can't take the original credit on that one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.