Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Kirby Smart Reportedly Interviewing With Philadelphia Eagles

I liked Kelly's DC at Oregon, Nick Alliotti. With a slower pace offense, I think Alliotti would have a pretty solid defense.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement

Kirby Smart Reportedly Interviewing With Philadelphia Eagles

Well good morning! I guess it just depends on what Kirby wants to do. There are no more superstar defensive coordinators in the NFL anymore (Monte Kiffin, Dick LeBeau, Jim Johnson, Buddy Ryan, etc). The way the rules are set up now to favor offenses and "player safety". (side note: I always take thus into account when looking at the records that players like Drew Brees and Calvin Johnson have broken. Would not happen in the NFL of the 80s and 90s).

So as it has been stated, this might be a good experience for Coach Smart, but I can't imagine this raising his celebrity any more than it already is
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

To me this comes down to good experience (interviewing) and hopefully a raise. Smart and Saban deserve a raise anyway, so now is a good time to ask for one, right? I don't see this as being a good career move though, what Chip Kelly DCs have become hot commodities?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide13 View Post
    This is not a lateral move. Stop being homers you bammers
    You're right! It's a step down......

I think this would represent a poor move on Chip Kelly's part too. IMO, as a college guy going to the NFL, you'd be wise to surround yourself with NFL guys...

Oregon ranked 47 in yards per game given up this year. I understand that Chip's offenses put the defense on the field more than a ball controlled style offense but if you think back to his last 3 defenses, they have all performed rather well in a points happy PAC12 league!

I think this is something Smart should definitely consider. I would hate to lose him but KS has to do what is best for his family and his career.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

I guess he is going to have to leave eventually, as stated earlier in this thread. Interesting that if he goes that he could end up coaching Dee there.
    Lucky #13

The difference in the weather between T-Town and Philly would be a dealbreaker for me.

I'd love for him to stay forever, but that's not reality. He's done a great job for Bama and I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do.
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

Suspended
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    The difference in the weather between T-Town and Philly would be a dealbreaker for me.
    Really?

BamaNation First Team tidefan26's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

AJC said he took the job. It is the AJC though TFWIW.

And never mind.

On Kirby Smart-to-Eagles: They are interested in him & other college DCs. They doubt he would leave Bama. Nothing has happened at this point

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by tidefan26; January 18th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by RollEagles View Post
    Take this tweet with a grain of salt. As an Alabama fan from Philadelphia, I can tell you that Eskin's stories aren't always credible.
    Now if Eskin had said Chip Kelly was interviewing Dom Capers so as to get a DC who "leads" a point-a-minute defense to go with Kelly's point-a-minute offense - and that Capers was bringing A.J. (The Great White Hoax) Hawk with him to Philly as a package deal - and that Kirby Smart were interviewing in Green Bay as Capers' replacement and telling the Packers to draft Jesse Williams high this year...I might give it some cred (and a clink or two of a champagne glass).

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm guessing Jesse would go back to WDE beside BJ Raji at NT?