Kirby Smart Reportedly Interviewing With Philadelphia Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynyrd skynyrd

All-American
Apr 8, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida USA
The only thing which gives me pause is that CNS has taken full advantage of his NFL experience, more as a defensive assistant than his brief stint as a HC. OTOH, it's just a matter of time until Smart gets a FBS HC offer himself. You can argue that an assistantship in the NFL might even delay that because of visibility. In one of the bigger laughs lately, a poster on another site C&Ped a quote from the AU site "The Bunker," where one poster was saying that our defense was all Smart and that Saban didn't do anything. (I've cleaned up his language.) He went on to say that we'd fall apart when Smart moved on. It's hard to argue with delusion when it's married with ignorance and blind optimism...
I guess that's why the barns coach goes to the barn, leaves the bran, and then goes back to the barn, can't do any better...

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
there is a lot more money in the nfl for coordinators. i really believe, his defense in the nfl at first would be challenging to offenses, but, the nfl always figure out ways to beat them. the nfl is doing all they can to create more offensive football. coach smart is a smart coach and will be successful, and he needs to check the nfl and college while he is still young enough to know what is best for him. i see where lane kiffins dad has returned to the nfl.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
With the exception of one factor, I don't see being Chip Kelly's DC in Philadelphia as a step up from what Smart has now.

That exception is getting the NFL experience box checked for purposes of recruiting when he does get a good college offer....which will come sooner rather than later.

We'll see. For the irony-deaf in the bunker, it would, however, mean that Smart would view DC in Philadelphia as a better job than HC on the plains.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Whatever happens will happen, and unless it is for the money no one can convince me that any job with the Eagles is better than a job at Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I liked Kelly's DC at Oregon, Nick Alliotti. With a slower pace offense, I think Alliotti would have a pretty solid defense.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well good morning! I guess it just depends on what Kirby wants to do. There are no more superstar defensive coordinators in the NFL anymore (Monte Kiffin, Dick LeBeau, Jim Johnson, Buddy Ryan, etc). The way the rules are set up now to favor offenses and "player safety". (side note: I always take thus into account when looking at the records that players like Drew Brees and Calvin Johnson have broken. Would not happen in the NFL of the 80s and 90s).

So as it has been stated, this might be a good experience for Coach Smart, but I can't imagine this raising his celebrity any more than it already is

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To me this comes down to good experience (interviewing) and hopefully a raise. Smart and Saban deserve a raise anyway, so now is a good time to ask for one, right? I don't see this as being a good career move though, what Chip Kelly DCs have become hot commodities?

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think this would represent a poor move on Chip Kelly's part too. IMO, as a college guy going to the NFL, you'd be wise to surround yourself with NFL guys...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Oregon ranked 47 in yards per game given up this year. I understand that Chip's offenses put the defense on the field more than a ball controlled style offense but if you think back to his last 3 defenses, they have all performed rather well in a points happy PAC12 league!

I think this is something Smart should definitely consider. I would hate to lose him but KS has to do what is best for his family and his career.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I'd love for him to stay forever, but that's not reality. He's done a great job for Bama and I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
AJC said he took the job. It is the AJC though TFWIW.

And never mind.

On Kirby Smart-to-Eagles: They are interested in him & other college DCs. They doubt he would leave Bama. Nothing has happened at this point

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Take this tweet with a grain of salt. As an Alabama fan from Philadelphia, I can tell you that Eskin's stories aren't always credible.
Now if Eskin had said Chip Kelly was interviewing Dom Capers so as to get a DC who "leads" a point-a-minute defense to go with Kelly's point-a-minute offense - and that Capers was bringing A.J. (The Great White Hoax) Hawk with him to Philly as a package deal - and that Kirby Smart were interviewing in Green Bay as Capers' replacement and telling the Packers to draft Jesse Williams high this year...I might give it some cred (and a clink or two of a champagne glass).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.