Brady Barking Alabama in his snap count

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What is Peyton Manning saying when he's calling signals at the line of scrimmage. What I thought I've heard several times is "Hurry up, hurry up ...." Is that correct or is my hearing going the same route as my sight?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The answers you seek are in this article. Alabama is used, so is Bama. but they mean different things at different times of the year as they change plays. Chip Kelly played a part, at least in one word play calling

If you want to see what’s next on the pro level, look to the colleges. That’s what Belichick does, with his alliances with coaches such as Nick Saban (LSU and Alabama), Urban Meyer (Florida and Ohio State) and, now, Kelly.

That’s why when Kelly walked into Gillette Stadium two years ago — and he’s been there three times total — ears perked up among the Patriots’ coaches, including Belichick.
Kelly told the Patriots he was moving to a no-huddle that only used one word to signify everything involved in a play.

Sideline calls take too long. Wristbands too.

One word is all that is needed.
Kelly declined to be interviewed, but those with knowledge of the discussion said Kelly laid out his rationale.

Players memorize thousands of words in songs, hundreds of movie lines, and many other things involving pop culture.

Why can’t players have instant recall of a handful of concepts? Heck, everybody knows No. 2 on a McDonald’s menu gets you a Quarter Pounder, medium fries, and a drink.
And the Patriots have to change their words because it doesn’t take long for other teams, especially those within the division, to catch on.

“We’ve changed them three times,” Brady said. “[The coaches said], ‘Well, we’re not going to use that, we’re going to use this particular word.’ And I’m like, ‘Man, can’t we go back to one we’ve already used before, back to the original one?’ ”

The beauty of the Patriots’ no-huddle is it can take many forms and speeds because of Brady.

It’s not technically one word, because a play call such as “Bama” would include an alignment call. Brady would bark out the call like, “Bama left.”

But the bottom line is the same: Brady uses one of the six game-planned calls when he wants to go fast, and that tells everyone on the field what they are supposed to do.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/08/patriots-huddle-relies-power-one/nHTapuVnBOwfFlffwTrN6J/story.html

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Some of the count terminology can be funny. I remember the 17 yd throwback to Peek in the '09 SECCG. The first word was "kids," which basically meant whole team to the right. The second word, which I can't remember, meant the TE was to drift to the left. It reminded me a bit of Fran's smoke draw, where the whole OL came up out of stance and blocked one way, while the runner cut back across the grain. It worked well the first 100 times we ran it, but finally the LBs would just stand up and wait for the runner, rather than taking the bait...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.