Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    Recipes
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: O'Brien wins Bear Bryant award

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    Eh, I dunno...according to the official website www.bryantawards.com

Just me but I don't consider 8 wins under those conditions legendary...
    Preseason after all the players defected, people were picking them to win 3-4 games.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My remark was more aimed at his not even being considered as a finalist. I just don't see how you can exclude him from the conversation...
    Same way that ESPN uses the ND AD's comments as proof/argument for Teo's innocence. The media creates their own storylines and runs with it. CNS is only appreciated by a few media types; the rest loathe him. I'm sure CNS would rather keep winning titles than coaching awards.

Other finalist.....

Kevin Sumlin
    Urban Meyer
    Bill Snyder
    David Shaw (Stanford)
    James Franklin

Of the finalists, I'd have voted for Sumlin. Took a .500 team from last year into a new league and went 11-2 and beat the national champions. Lost by three to Florida and five to LSU. Flip either of those games and they are playing in Miami. Also coached a Heisman winner.

Not sure which finalist I'd kick out for Nick. (Sorry for the bad rhyme). I guess he's a vicitim of his own success when it comes to being Coach of the Year. Even if we had beaten Texas A&M, I doubt he'd have fared any better in the voting.

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Preseason after all the players defected, people were picking them to win 3-4 games.
    True but still not legendary IMO...Sumlin deserved it more than him....of course they gave it to Gundy last year so go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that Saban's success is discounted because of the huge amount of talent that he has to work with. Not saying that it is right, but I believe it to be a factor. At least O'Brien won and not Kelly. You have to admit - what he did this year at PSU was pretty remarkable.
    True, but then you have to look at LSU, Florida and UGA. They always have the talent and are not able to do what Saban does...year after year.

O'Brien definitely did a great job with what he had, but Saban should have been considered.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

That's easy: the guy who coaches at the OSU.
    "As slowly turns the grinding wheel
    In the court of the crimson king."

No doubt Saban should have been in the finals for consideration but I have no quarrels with O'Brien getting the award. He had a great year with a team that faced a lot of adversity. The true testament will come in the next few years on how well of a coach he is, that is if he decides to stick it out at Penn State.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    True but still not legendary IMO...Sumlin deserved it more than him....of course they gave it to Gundy last year so go figure...
    His star running back left for USC (think he regrets that move?) in addition to the team losing its first 2 games. For him to do what he did at PSU under these circumstances, I think he deserves the award and recognition.

Sumlin did a fine job at A&M. Folks probably wonder two things: how much of it was Manziel and is he just getting more out of the talent than Sherman did?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    That was some of the higher estimates. Many were claiming they would win between 0-3...

I am more puzzled to why they gave the award to Chizik during his championship year in 2010 But they didn't give it to Saban in 2009 during his undefeated...championship year. Peterson got it in 2009. Last year Gundy got it.

Kind of ironic that Saban has only won the award, when he coached at LSU.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jack Bourbon's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My remark was more aimed at his not even being considered as a finalist. I just don't see how you can exclude him from the conversation...
    I believe that his omission is really a type of flattery: everyone knows he's the best coach, so why bother saying it repeatedly. I doubt Saban even cares about the award. It's possible he told people to stop considering him for it and to give it to other guys. Saban is all about titles now, as his record indicates.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I had way more of problem with '09 than this year, although I agree he should have been a finalist. In '09, CNS beat the undefeated defending NC with a Heisman winning QB and a undefeated Texas team with a 2 time Heisman finalist and he both teams by more than 2 TD's. The award went the guy who the WAC and scraped by TCU in the bowl. C'mon man!!!

BamaNation All-American

Typically these kinds of awards go to coaches of teams that did much better than expected not necessarily to the best coach. Coach Saban has better players because he and his staff are better at evaluating, recruiting and developing them. Winning 3 of the last 4 BCS Championships it's pretty convincing to me who the best coach is.